+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Losing a Mom

Re: Losing a Mom

I personally think mimosas are the way to go-we as a family always have them at our get-togethers.

My thoughts and prayers to all who are missing someone this holiday season.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Speak;3254628;
    No, that's not irrational, or...I'm irrational, too. I do the same thing for the very same reason. I'll be thinking of you, Lopevian, on the 28th.
    Thank you, Tribal Speak. I won't be considering it as silly or irrational anymore. It speaks to the abundance of respect we had, and will always have for our Moms. When we can manage a small m, the respect will remain, unchanged, and eternal. I am honored to be in your company, and my heart truly goes out to you. Myrosiedog is right...there's no rule book. Chrelsey, I feel so bad for Mr. C. The aching, the void, they're amplified by the holidays. I hope he can find a sliver of light in the darkness. I've learned that the slimmest of slivers goes a long, long way. MsDiva2007, that is a beautiful tradition your family has. What a loving tribute. Cootie, what a very nice thing to say. Enjoy!

MRD

I have to share this. I met a Hospice chaplain this week and I was telling her how highly I regard hospice and how well they treated my mom and I when my mom was in hospice.
    I did say that I always thought it had to take really special people to work in a hospice facility as they know going in that every one of their patients is terminal.

She told me this and I LOVED it.
    She says they see the hospice as a sort of maternity ward, where they are helping "birth" people into heaven or the next life.

Hearing that this week just totally changed my entire outlook about death.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3255684;
    I have to share this. I met a Hospice chaplain this week and I was telling her how highly I regard hospice and how well they treated my mom and I when my mom was in hospice.
    I did say that I always thought it had to take really special people to work in a hospice facility as they know going in that every one of their patients is terminal.

She told me this and I LOVED it.
    She says they see the hospice as a sort of maternity ward, where they are helping "birth" people into heaven or the next life.

Hearing that this week just totally changed my entire outlook about death.
    myrosiedog, I felt the same way about the hospice people who helped facilitate my mom's wishes. Not only did they treat her with great dignity, they helped comfort those of us who were experiencing the loss of our loved one. Hospice workers have very special abilities and atitudes to help us all in such difficult circumstances.

MRD

Cootie, I can't say enough good things about hospice and I support them financially when I can. It was a blessing to all of us to have hospice. But I always felt that these workers had to just be angels on earth because I couldn't imagine how hard their jobs must be. But they want these jobs and they find it to be a very rewarding experience to help the patients and families. Still until I heard that this week, I still had a hard time understanding the desire to work in hospice (I don't think I could do it as it would be too hard to always lose every patient). Not that I'm not grateful that there are so many incredible, wonderful people who do work there. But I was looking at it from my viewpoint which was how hard it must be and then to hear how they look at it, just totally changed my viewpoint.

I'm glad you and your mom had hospice too. They are such a wonderful organization.

myrosiedog I have an 89 year old friend who was a hospice volunteer. She is an angel on earth in my opinion. While she was not part of the group that helped my mom and family, they shared many wonderful qualities that she possesses. Her opinion about death for her patients was that it was a blessing. She said that knowing how hard it was for the families. She had lost precious members of her own family, so she knew how rough it was for them, but had an attitude of celebration for the life that had passed that gave me strength and still does.

MRD

I've seen both my mom and a friend (he was 39) pass of cancer and when the end came, both were blessings. It's amazing that a human can suffer SO much and still keep on going for so long. They are my hero's because I'm not sure I could have the strength to have gone through so much. So yes, hospice really helped me to see it was a blessing. Still a hard one for the survivors. In some ways I think those deaths are easier for us to reconcile than the unexpected ones. Watching someone you love suffer for so long is harder I think than when the end finally comes. We still miss them though, but you just are glad they aren't in that kind of pain and diminished capacity anymore.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3255732;
    Cootie, I can't say enough good things about hospice and I support them financially when I can. It was a blessing to all of us to have hospice. But I always felt that these workers had to just be angels on earth because I couldn't imagine how hard their jobs must be.
    ITA. It takes a special kind of person to comfort the dying. They help make everything a little more bearable for the patient and their loved ones.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays. Enjoy your friends and family, enjoy the food, traditions and merriment, and by all means, enjoy the Memosas. It'll be Tequilla Sunrises for me, no matter what time of day I actually get to it. Tall, and numerous.

Travel day tomorrow. Christmas morning I'll be walking to the cemetery where my Mom's cremated remains are laid. There is sure to be snow on the ground, which is unusual for the area at this time of year. I'm taking a cookie sheet with me as a makeshift shovel. Also a small trowel. I just hope I get the right headmarker first time! It'll be my first visit since we laid the headmarker. The rest of the day will be with family.

Merry Christmas everyone .

+ Reply to Thread