+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Losing a Mom

Re: Losing a Mom

My Mom's birthday today. First one without her. She would have been 81. Happy Birthday, Mom.

Happy Birthday to your mom Tribal Speak. Take it easy today, birthdays are always really rough.
    Yup, with donuts!!

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

A belated Happy Birthday to your Mom, Tribal Speak. I hope you and your brothers are doing well, as well as possible. Best wishes to all of you who are missing a loved one. This time of year can be so brutal. On the 28th of this month, it will be two years since my Mom died, and I still can't type Mom without capitalizing the M, even though proper grammar dictates otherwise. Isn't that silly? As if a small m would diminish her in some way. Completely irrational. Bunny, I have had precious few dreams about my Mom. I hope and pray that someday the deepest recesses of your mind will let your Mom's voice come forward. It is in your memory every bit as much as she is in your heart. Again, to Bug, Bunny, Rosiedog, Cootie, Famita, Tribal Speak, SR5Rfan, and everyone missing their loved ones, my condolences, thoughts, prayers, and best wishes are with you. Take care, each and every one of you.

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;3254301;
    ..... On the 28th of this month, it will be two years since my Mom died, and I still can't type Mom without capitalizing the M, even though proper grammar dictates otherwise. Isn't that silly? As if a small m would diminish her in some way. Completely irrational. .....
    No, that's not irrational, or...I'm irrational, too. I do the same thing for the very same reason. I'll be thinking of you, Lopevian, on the 28th.

lopevian and everyone who is missing loved ones during this time. This is my 8th year of holidays without my mom and while it tends to get easier every year, when I'm alone it is never that easy. Keep busy and surround yourselves with people who care about you.
    Yup, with donuts!!

My mom passed away 5 years ago this past October of Colon cancer. It took the family awhile to get into the holiday seasons again. The first year was the worse and then gradually the pain began to lessen. We talk about her all the time. during the holiday dinners when we bless the meal we all say a prayer and hold hands. We leave the spot open that she usually stood in memory of the wonderful mother that she was to us all.

Sending hugs to everyone who is missing their loved ones this holiday season. I lost my mom a little more than two years ago, my dad five years ago, and we lost Mr. C's mom last year on December 29th - so this is our first Christmas without her. I am thankful for so many happy memories, yet this year is so very sad - especially for Mr. C and his family. I think that finding ways to honor our loved ones - especially during this time of year - really is important. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

MRD

Sending out hugs to everyone on this thread. The holidays can be hard and I had my annual holiday meltdown in the shower on Tues. this week. Now it's over and I know from experience that I'll be okay for the rest of the season.

Lopevian, I think nothing is silly that we do. Grief does not have a rule book. THAT is the ONLY rule in grief.

We have Mimosas every Christmas morning as we open gifts. It's a tradition my mom started and we always toast her first.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

That sounds like a great tradition MRD. I bet it feels good to toast her and keep her in your minds all day.
    Yup, with donuts!!

to you all! This thread is a tremendous tribute to our Moms and other special loved ones! How wonderful that they are so missed by us!

My daughter is home for a few weeks and we have been celebrating the holidays together by decorating, listening to Christmas music, taking walks, shopping and many other things. We decorated our tree with ornaments representing our lifetime. Every ornament given to us by my mom went up on the tree with stories about the events surrounding that time. My daughter loves these activities and connections to the past. I know that how I feel about my mom is very connected to how my daughter feels about me. We consciously fill the sad memories with celebrations of our own, baking both old and new recipes, stopping to enjoy the lights, and many other things that give us both comfort.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories. I hope that you all find joy in this season. The open spot that MsDiva2007 speaks of in her blessing with her family is here in my house, too. There is the quiet, but powerful presence of my mom here with me (always).

chrelsey, I hope you all can fill your holiday with wonderful stories and remembrances of your loved ones to help fill your hearts with happiness.

Tribal Speak, Happy Belated Birthday in your mom's memory.

Bunny555, it is hard when your children reach the age where the holidays don't have the same luster for them. I am of the mind that they still treasure many of our traditions, they just don't show it. My grown children are much more open about loving the cooking, decorating, and hanging out together even more than the gifts they get. I don't think they ever lost the joy for it, they just didn't show it as much in their teenaged years.

famita, I am with you on surprising the kids with something you think of, rather than filling their list...I received many interesting gifts from my mom. Some were so awful that they still give me great memories (California Raisins on a sweatshirt in raised relief paint! I wish I still had it as it was so bizarre) and some were so wonderful that I knew she was inside of my head(beautiful sheets for my bed that we used for about 15 years with great care)!

myrosiedog, I am with buglover, I have some champagne here and am thinking a mimosa toast with our annual Christmas breakfast sounds like a wonderful addition to the day!

lopevian, my thoughts will be with you as the anniversary of your Mom's death approaches. She deserves a capitol M!

Take care all of you.

+ Reply to Thread