+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Losing a Mom

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Re: Losing a Mom

Toothdoc, great to hear from you! and a huge Congrats(!) both on your marriage and you wonderful children! How special that they don't like the term "step"! And how heartwarming for you to "take over" the Santa position.

So I've been having strange dreams of mom again. This past week has been a bit unstable. The dream I had yesterday was my mother was living in an apartment in my complex and I had to go and keep checking on her. Her house was such a mess, cupboards open with stuff all over the counters, half eaten food, etc. I told her to sit down in the livingroom and I was going to clean it all up. I turned my back for a second and she had walked out the front door. I panicked and ran down the stairs calling to her. She was in a neighbor's house sitting on the floor looking like a 2 year old who had been caught with a cookie. I took her back upstairs and asked her to please not leave. In the dream she was terminal and only had a couple of months to live due to cancer (which she really did die from). The dream switches to me in the bathtub and she comes in laughing with a bunch of spiders in her hands. She then proceeds to try to force the spiders into my mouth saying they are really good. I woke up flailing my arms around and then cried like a baby. So weird.
    Yup, with donuts!!

buglover, when my dad first died (car accident - almost 8 years ago), I had strange dreams about him all the time. Now I have less of them, but they still come and go. I think during periods of stress, he comes to "see" me more often. I wish that the dreams all meant something, but I really don't think they do. Sleep is a time of synaptic growth and rewiring and I think its just my brain still trying to digest the fact that he's gone. Still, there are other dreams where I feel him with me and I know in my heart that he's there to see me. I just try not to let the sometimes strange details bother me.

I would like to wish everyone who's lost a parent a holiday of peace and healing. Its very, very hard for the first few years. It doesn't exactly get easier, but you get used to it. The sharpness of the pain eventually turns into more of a sad nostalgia and you're more able to smile at a memory still be happy rather than dissolving into tears.

Tootdoc, good luck with your wonderful blended family. I have my own and we try not to use words like 'step' either. Sometimes we're pressed into it because people want to know how we ended up with the rainbow of haircolor in our family (see my profile pic). Still, we try to just explain that we're a "blended" family and most people get it. I hope you have a very happy holiday together this year.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

buglover - I hope you have a dreamless night tonight! Those type of dreams can get a grip on you, that is for sure. I can't help but wonder about those spiders...they would make me cry, too.

I hope your holiday plans go well and can calm you. I am thinking of you.

to all of us mother/fatherless children. We will be the shining examples to our children and ourselves that they were to us. Pay it forward!
    CYA

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3240813;
    to all of us mother/fatherless children. We will be the shining examples to our children and ourselves that they were to us. Pay it forward!
    Bunny, that's a great way of putting it.

I don't put a lot of stock in dreams Bug. I dream of my parents and grandmothers often. They never talk in my dreams. Just sit there silently. I think because I know even in my sleep that they have passed and can't talk to me anymore.

But I have the weirdest dreams of anyone I know. I swear that sometimes I must have other people's dreams. I just don't dwell on them as I figure it's my mind working on something while I'm asleep.

But your dream certainly sounds disturbing. I hope you had good rest last night without dreams.

I hate the disturbing ones as they do seem to linger with me. But again, I try not to dwell on them.
    While I believe in a lot of other "psychic" phenomena, I don't really believe in the power of dreams so much. Mainly because mine just are too bizzare and don't make much sense.

For example, last night I dreamed that I was in an airport waiting room and most of my high school class was there. People I haven't laid eyes on in over 28 years. One by one, they got up to get on the plane and we had to sing a children's song as we got on the plane. Then I got a telegram in the waiting room from an old HS teacher (whom I did not like at ALL and wasn't even close too) wishing me congratulations.

Now what the heck was that about? Oh and as we all were singing getting on the plane, we each had to have a children's toy in our hands as a donation for something. I don't know what.

My daughter had surgery yesterday, so we spent most of the day in the hospital. I haven't had any contact with anyone from HS recently, so I have no clue why I would have dreamed that. I think sometimes we do process recent events or troubling events in our dreams, but most of the time for me, it's random.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-25-2008 at 07:22 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Hugs to all that are dealing with a loss. Buglover, my heart goes out to you. It bothers me when I have a dream that takes away my joy. Spiders alone would do that to me. Maybe that's another step of grieving.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3240860;
    My daughter had surgery yesterday, so we spent most of the day in the hospital.
    Wishing you and your daughter a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!

Buglover, hopefully you are coming out of that dream and that a nice meal in the coming days complete with turkey, etc will fill you up with good things!

In the 25 years that my Mom's been gone I can probably count on one hand the number of dreams I've had about her and I find that so strange as I always feel her with me. In fact, until tonight, I couldn't remember the last time. Earlier tonight I fell asleep on the couch and had a dream that I was trying to call her on the phone. I kept trying every phone number we ever had and I got nothing. Then the phone rings and she's on the line and I don't recognize her voice. (I have recently been trying to remember her voice and I can't ) She says "It's Momma" and I'm full of questions, asking her where she's been etc....She laughs and says that she's been travelling and seeing new things. It was such a short conversation and then she was gone. I woke up crying so hard that it startled my son and it was hard to explain to him. I should probably feel happy in that it was a message from her that she's ok but I don't.....I just feel sad.....and I still can't remember her voice.
    CYA

Bunny555, I think it was a good sign for you, but it's also hard when you're missing her so much. I always look at it as a blessing htat I was able to "see" them again-kind of like being able to watch old home movies.

+ Reply to Thread