+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 52 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Losing a Mom

MRD

Re: Losing a Mom

Lopevian, thanks for sharing about your mom. Your poem is a wonderful tribute to her.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

She liked it. But, as always, she rejected the great majority of it. She could not take a compliment. I hope she knew how truly special she was, but I doubt it. She was just naturally devoid of ego. College basketball aside, she was a non-competitive person. She was encouraging, supportive, and enthusiastic about the accomplishments, dreams, and aspirations of nearly everyone she ever knew.

lope, how wonderful! I was in a slight disagreement w/my mom and we patched things up yesterday. It was touching to me to read that this morning.

famita, so happy to read that things are patched up. When I was a teenager, and all through my 20's, my Mom and I were at odds, constantly butting heads. Every second of it brought us closer. Honesty, though often brutal, acceptance, though often seemingly unattainable, forgiveness, though often a struggle...these, ultimately, were gifts we gave to each other. I wish you many happy years with your Mom. Keep challenging each other. You'll grow even closer for it.

lopevian - that poem about your mom is so sweet! i'm sure she was every bit as sweet a person as you are.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Thanks angelic! No, compared to my Mom, I'm a regular crab-apple.

I am so relieved to be finally participating in this discussion rather than just reading your posts and thinking about you all from a distance...the replies with humor are just what we all need! At the same time, the mention of our moms out in the open can bring up things that make us sad. But that is okay.

I just remembered that while my mom was in a coma, I was writing her emails (long messages) like I did almost every day when she could read them. I asked my dad to read them to her so she would know I was there for her and thinking of her. I live 800 miles away so I couldn't visit as often as I wanted to. I got a great deal of consolation out of writing those letters. A year later I found out my dad never read them to her. That it was too hard for him or it felt too personal. I was somewhat devastated, but realized that just the act of writing them was good and that I just had to let that part of our life go. Ultimately, we do have to let go of that face to face contact when our loved ones are gone. The rest is in our heads and hearts.

The holidays are coming up of course. My mom was all about the holidays. That is why the gravy volcano was so devastating to her! She loved having us all together around the table. She treasured some dishes that I didn't necessarily like, but I like to think about the pleasure they gave her. She loved canned asparagas - I think in those days we didn't have it available in fresh form (which I love). Kind of a strange thing to make a mother connection with, but a can of asparagas will do that to me.

Did your moms make special recipes that you follow at the holidays? Or something you never have (like canned asparagas)?

Cootie, you just needed to join the discussion in your own good time. I'm glad you did. Holidays are tough. It's nice to know we can come here to commiserate, or swap funny or endearing stories. Like gravy volcanoes and canned asparagas. I think the sadness will always remain close by, but humor goes a long way in knocking it back. I'm looking forward to reading more about your Mom.

MRD

My mom used to have pickled peaches and candied crab apples on Thanksgiving. I thimk she was the only one that ate those. Her last Thanksgiving (and we all knew it would be), I went to 3 stores trying to find those damn peaches and crabapples for her. I haven't bought them since then, but I always think about them.
    My mom had to make 2 types of gravy on Thanksgiving becase me and her grandkids wouldn't eat the giblet gravy, so we had to have plain. My nephew started calling it Organ gravy and my mom used to think that was hysterical. She'd always announce, this is the ORGAN gravy and this one is for the picky people.
    Holidays are hard and there is ONE day over the Christmas season that it hits me. I never know when, but it usually does. Thankfully not on Christmas Eve anymore as I'm sure that there is an entire church full of people that still wonder about the woman sobbing and having to run out during a candlelight version of Silent Night. Usually a time of celebration, but not for me that year.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Cootie, it's never too late to read your missives to your mother. Not to be ookie or odd, but I think it would feel cleansing and healing to be able to share your thoughts. I believe that our loved ones watch over us.

+ Reply to Thread