+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Losing a Mom

Re: Losing a Mom

I mentioned in another post - dad recently had to clean out his sister's apartment and he brought home some letters my mom had written to my aunt in the 1960's. What a blast we had at dinner tonight, reading those old letters! Mom's been gone for 9 years but seeing her handwriting and "hearing" her words brought her right into the room with us.

And even though it's been 9 years, there are still times I think "Oh, I've gotta call and tell Mom ..."

As it's been said; you don't get over it, but it gets easier.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

MRD

I have a letter my mom wrote before she died and gave it to my husband to give to me after her death. I cherish it.

I wish I had kept her letters to me when I was in college. They were hysterical. My mom was spelling challenged (probably where I get it from. ) and every letter ended with:

"Everything is quite here". I remember thinking quite what? Quite busy? Quite slow, what? What?

The other memorable one was one she sent to my brother and I. He lived in a different state and we were all meeting in New Orleans for my 19th birthday. She wrote to both of us that she had found a hotel with rooms that had "bolonies" overlooking Bourbon street. 27 years later, both my brother and I never talk about balcony's, they are ALWAYS "bolonies".

Letters are treasures too. I talked to a man yesterday who has his parents letters to each other during WWII. He said they are priceless to him today.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Myrosiedog, those are great memories! My mom was a stickler for proper grammar and every time I hear someone say "can" instead of "may" I think of her. And want to correct them! "I know you can, but I don't know if you may." I wonder if they charge more for rooms with "bolonies" than they do for the "balconies"?
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3231143;
    I mentioned in another post - dad recently had to clean out his sister's apartment and he brought home some letters my mom had written to my aunt in the 1960's. What a blast we had at dinner tonight, reading those old letters! Mom's been gone for 9 years but seeing her handwriting and "hearing" her words brought her right into the room with us.

And even though it's been 9 years, there are still times I think "Oh, I've gotta call and tell Mom ..."

As it's been said; you don't get over it, but it gets easier.
    SR5Rfan, I missed your previous post. My condolences to you. I bet you did have a blast reading your Mom's letters, and I love what you wrote about them bringing her into the room. I don't have any letters from my Mom, as we never lived more than 15 miles apart. But I have post cards from her which I cherish. I am happy for her that she was able to travel to places she wanted to visit. Myrosiedog, the balonies are too funny.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3231269;
    Myrosiedog, those are great memories! My mom was a stickler for proper grammar and every time I hear someone say "can" instead of "may" I think of her. And want to correct them! "I know you can, but I don't know if you may." I wonder if they charge more for rooms with "bolonies" than they do for the "balconies"?
    I think rooms with bolonies are more expensive overlooking Bourbon St. than rooms without.

Thanks. It's those kinds of memories that I mostly cling too now because those are the ones that can still have me laughing my butt off. And those are the ones I love to tell because it seems as if others laugh pretty hard at them as well and that makes me happy because then people that didn't know my mom and dad can enjoy them too.

My mom was not a great speller, but she ALWAYS answered me in this fashion when I incorrectly used "at".

Me: Where's the salt at?

Her: Behind the "at".

And like you I still want to say that today when I hear it.

Lopevian and everyone, I hope from now on when you travel, that you always get a room with a "bolony". They ARE the best rooms you know.

My dad used to constantly misprounce memorabila. He said it as Mem-OR-RAB-ula. And to this day, if I use it, I have to conciously think about it so I don't say it the way he always did and therefore confirm to everyone listening that I actually am an idiot.

So between "bolonies" and "memorabula", we have a lot of fun. I probably actually have some "memorabula" from those "bolonies".
    Last edited by MRD; 11-09-2008 at 04:14 PM.

What great mom posts! You all are making me chuckle.

My mom always wrote me from doctors offices or soccer practice while she was waiting for one of my sibs to get done with whatever they were doing. And her letters were mostly about the business of running the family. A rundown of her day, so to speak. She wasn't one to gush about anything, but those letters were a steady comfort that things were running like clockwork.

My mom wasn't very quirky or funny, but she did have a Thanksgiving day cooking disaster that we all laugh about to this day. Our family, consisting of the nine kids, my dad and various other relatives had settled down at the table for dinner. My mom was just finishing up the gravy and was busy stirring and bustling around in the kitchen. We were all having conversation waiting for her. Suddenly, we hear her cry out. I ran into the kitchen and found her madly stirring a big pan of gravy that was flowing over like a volcano!

It turns out that she had needed to thicken up the gravy a little bit more and thought she grabbed cornstarch, but had used baking soda instead!!! It was a crazy, messy scene for a while and she was pretty upset about ruining that portion of our meal. I think we all got over it quickly because we were pretty excited about the visual effect. We have shared that story many times since.

MRD

a gravy volcano! I can just picture it.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

You've all inspired me to share a little about my Mom. I wrote a poem for her. Here's 3 verses. Apologies for the formatting. * My Mother bakes pies in the spring/My Mother loves to sing/She's an Irish rose/With an O'Brien nose/Many joys this woman does bring*Seven children does she call her own/Many toils that will never be known/But through all the years/Be it triumphs or tears/An abundance of love she has shown*My Mother taught me my mind to be keen/Keep things clean and you'll find life serene/She's a rare bird indeed/In my life I certainly need/My Mother, Mary Noreen Mother's Day, 2002
    Last edited by lopevian; 11-09-2008 at 10:38 PM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

lopevian, what a wonderful poem about your mom! Thank you for giving us a sneak peak about your mom! What a wonderful lady she must have been!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;3231570;
    You've all inspired me to share a little about my Mom. I wrote a poem for her. Here's 3 verses. Apologies for the formatting. * My Mother bakes pies in the spring/My Mother loves to sing/She's an Irish rose/With an O'Brien nose/Many joys this woman does bring*Seven children does she call her own/Many toils that will never be known/But through all the years/Be it triumphs or tears/An abundance of love she has shown*My Mother taught me my mind to be keen/Keep things clean and you'll find life serene/She's a rare bird indeed/In my life I certainly need/My Mother, Mary Noreen Mother's Day, 2002
    So sweet, thanks for sharing more about your mom. You truly still have her in your life through the memories.

16 kids between your mom and mine. Wow. Superwomen, our mothers.

+ Reply to Thread