+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Losing a Mom

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: Losing a Mom

Quote Originally Posted by famita;3007025;
    I know when we were waiting for my dad to die so that he wouldn't suffer anymore, we were praying for God's will. Then when he died, I felt, wait, ...I'm not quite ready.
    Famita, that is EXACTLY how we all felt. My dad got really sick and was in the ICU a few months prior to his passing. His doctor actually thought he was going to die then and was preparing us for it...and we all said that it is better for him to pass and not have to suffer anymore than to "live" the way he was...surviving, but not really living. He also had a "Do Not Recusitate" order, and I know that we could've had that legally changed, but we didn't. He ended up recovering (sort of) and lived for another few months. His quality of life was horrible and it was so sad to see him this way--he had been so vibrant and active. When he did pass away, I felt exactly the same as you. I was so thankful he was no longer suffering, but I also felt so alone. On a completely selfish level, I wanted him to linger on. But...that would've been for me. He would've been in pain and suffering.

I think there's something to be said for peace of mind as well. My dad was fine with all of us (his kids) and he knew that we would take care of our mom and that she wouldn't have to worry about anything... But he had some rotten extended family members who had been horrible to him for a long time. They ended up coming and asking for his forgiveness and saying how they had been completely wrong and that they loved him very much. He died after that visit. I think he felt at peace...that the wrongs finally had been righted and that he wasn't leaving any unfinished business. He was at peace.

OK, now I'm going to start bawling.

Anyhow...I just wanted to say that I know exactly how you feel.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Margaritaville, there is no such thing as an appropriate response to losing a parent. It's as uniquely individual as the relationship itself. My condolences to you on your loss.

Soccermama, my heartfelt sympathy to you, as well. It's been almost 17 months, and it's so true that the pain can return, often when you least expect it, and knock you off your feet. You never get over it. You can only learn to live with it.

Lois Lane, I have those same feelings about my Dad. My heart completely breaks for him. You'll be in my thoughts this Father's Day.

Myrosiedog, hope you had a happy, though understandably bittersweet Birthday.

I'd like to echo soccermama's sentiment, and send a hug to everyone.

Today has been a bad day for missing mom. G-ma's house is sold and all stuff needs to be removed by the end of June. I have all of my mother's stuff in a storage unit which I go into and pick at once or twice a year. Today is just a day when I feel yucky, look yucky and would just like to pick up the phone and tell my mom how I'm feeling. She always had something to say to make me laugh and feel better about whatever funk I was in. I didn't dream of her last night but I did wake up missing her terribly.
    Yup, with donuts!!

I'm sorry buglover.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

MRD

Hugs Buglover.

I have days where I feel like I could make it not seeing her or my dad again, if I could just talk to them on the phone occasionally.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3027177;
    Today has been a bad day for missing mom. G-ma's house is sold and all stuff needs to be removed by the end of June. I have all of my mother's stuff in a storage unit which I go into and pick at once or twice a year. Today is just a day when I feel yucky, look yucky and would just like to pick up the phone and tell my mom how I'm feeling. She always had something to say to make me laugh and feel better about whatever funk I was in. I didn't dream of her last night but I did wake up missing her terribly.
    I know just how you feel.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

to all of us... it just seems to be a poopy month!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3027544;
    to all of us... it just seems to be a poopy month!
    It's like a pit you can't crawl out of. I quit trying. Instead, I have, more or less, grown accustom to life in the pit. And somedays are definitly darker and muddier than others. I feel for you, buglover.

lopevian. I always say that as long as I don't fall to the bottom of the pit again, life will be ok. I constantly feel like I'm halfway down/up the pit. Honestly I don't know how I've survived this long. I lost a child in 93, my mother in 2000, my grandmother this year. I keep wondering if it will ever stop but I know that as we age, we begin to really see our own mortality and losing loved ones/friends is going to be part of it all. The one thing that makes me feel slightly better is knowing via my beliefs that we will all meet up again like no time ever passed. I am also trying to clear my mind so I can learn whatever lesson these events are trying to teach me... it still sucks though, quite a bit!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Oh Buglover, that is a lot of loss. I'm so sorry to read about the child you lost. That is hardest thing imaginable. Your Mother and Grandmother are looking after your child, until you're all together again.

+ Reply to Thread