+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Losing a Mom

Re: Losing a Mom

Sorry to lay this on you guys but I need to get it off my chest and you guys would probably understand.

It has been more than a year since my dad died and lately it has gotten rough. I 'see' him everywhere. It is amazing how many men remind me of him. Today was extra hard. I was at the store and the man in line in front of me looked so much like him that I almost gave him a hard time for ignoring me. It hit me really hard that I am not going to see him again. I miss him so much.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Aww Dags.

Thanks, Unk.

I'm so sorry, Dags. My dad died six years ago last month and it honestly never gets easier when the "missing him" moments hit. The only good side of it is that slowly those moments have gotten further apart for me. Also, those moments are filled more with warm nostalgia now than with the despair I used to feel. Go easy on yourself. One year is no time at all to grieve for a parent and your pain is still very fresh. I know this is cornball and cliche, but remembering the good times really does help. Trying to keep busy helps too. In some ways, my daughter saved me when my own dad died. She was a newborn and I stayed so busy caring for her that it kept me sane when I felt like I just wanted to die myself. I hate giving you another cliche, but you really should take it one day at a time. You'll find another normal day again, I promise.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Aw, Dags. It's been 17 years since mine died and I still catch a glimpse on the street of a man who resembles him and my breath stops. It IS rough, and I think often it's rougher after some time has passed, after you get over the shock and all the tasks you have to do after a parent dies, and you're back in your regular life and have time to realize they're not in it anymore. So don't think your feelings are strange. But there's just no way to get to a place of peace without going through this part first.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I'm sending you comforting thoughts dagwood I'll be thinking about you and I hope the pain of missing him eases a bit soon.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2921661;
    Sorry to lay this on you guys but I need to get it off my chest and you guys would probably understand.

It has been more than a year since my dad died and lately it has gotten rough. I 'see' him everywhere. It is amazing how many men remind me of him. Today was extra hard. I was at the store and the man in line in front of me looked so much like him that I almost gave him a hard time for ignoring me. It hit me really hard that I am not going to see him again. I miss him so much.
    No need to apologize. My dad died a few months ago and there are times I'm perfectly fine, and other times I will just choke up. It's completely natural. A friend said that the reason we miss them so much is because they were such wonderful parents. Be thankful for your memories, but also honor your grief. It's all real and valid. This is one of those things that no one really knows how you feel--unless they've lost a parent, too. It's not a club I wish I was in... Hang in there...

Dags, It's been 20 years since my dad died, and like everyone else, I think about him all the time. My dad died when I was young, 10 years old, I'm at the point now where I've lived more of my life without him then with him. I still miss him and remember the times we had together. Especially as I get older, and so much changes in my life, I always wonder what he would think about everything I'm doing. It's tough and the memories will help make it bearable but you will always miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2921881;
    Aw, Dags. It's been 17 years since mine died and I still catch a glimpse on the street of a man who resembles him and my breath stops.
    I'm glad I am not the only one who has experienced this. It damn near killed me today.

Thanks, everyone, for all your kind words and advice. I really do appreciate it and needed it today. You guys are the best.

dagwood. My mother has been gone for 8 years and every now and again the despair hits me really hard. One day at a time I tell myself even now.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread