+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Losing a Mom

MRD

Re: Losing a Mom

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2722767;
    Echo - My condolences on your friends passing. Whenever I see a Vet, I usually shake their hand and thank them for serving. Usually they are surprised that someone did that.

I also do the same for Police and Firefighters, as well as usually buying the cops their coffee when I see them at Starbucks and usually about once a month I take a box of doughnuts and bagels and stuff to the fire house 4 blocks from my apartment.

I get the same reaction. They don't think they've done anything special, but they have and its nice to surprise them with the thanks for the sacrifice, but they always try to wave it off as "it was nothing". No, it was definetly something!!!!

And that is so nice of you to do that for your police and firefighters.

I can remember going places with my parents and if there were any military men in uniform, my dad would always send the waitress over with a round of drinks on him for these guys. They invariably would come over to say thank you to my dad and strike up conversations about the military, where did you serve, etc. But my dad would always tell them that he remembered when he was a young sailor with not much money and what that felt like to be away from home, so he always bought a round of drinks for anyone in uniform as a way of saying thanks and helping them enjoy themselves.

Storm,
    My condelences. It's not easy losing those we love.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Storm915;2723219;
    I lost my Mom 5 years ago..and not a day goes by that I do not feel her near me; looking over me, loving me, guiding me. Everytime I see a photo of her, my heart breaks all over again.
    Storm - my thoughts are with you. Time may dull the pain, but it never really goes away.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

My condolences to you, Storm915. I really feel for you, because I know how badly you miss her. I haven't watched videos of my Mom yet. I tell myself it's because everything is still so vivid in my mind. Her laugh, her smiling eyes, her voice, I have many videos in my head already. But I know I'm just chicken. I'm afraid to. The time for that will come, and I think the best advise I can give anyone who experiences this is...don't push it. That, and always have kleenex with you no matter where you go, because you never know what may trigger a thought that will make you cry.

Hope you have a happy holiday, as happy as it can be.

gabriel, way to go!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I am really really missing my dad tonight. And my baby. I lost my baby in 2006. The baby was due in 2007. Then I lost my dad in 2007. It all seems too much sometimes, you know? I know the first year is the hardest... Most of the time I am fine, but then I'll feel a stabbing pang in the heart (to be completely melodramatic), and then guilt, and then tears. I usually cry alone, 'cause I don't want other people to know I'm sad. My baby would've been one this year.

Aww Lois

I'm sorry that you're dealing with so much pain right now. There's really nothing anyone can say to make it go away. Don't worry about being melodramatic. The stabbing pain in the heart is your heart breaking and it physically hurts and happens to all of us in our greatest times of sadness. I hope that 2008 is a much better year for you.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I'm so sorry Lois. Those are sad anniversaries. Go ahead and cry, it helps.
    Count your blessings!

Lois - Don't worry about what others may think. You do what you do. My thoughts are with you.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Thank you all for being here. I am much better this morning. I'm not sad and depressed all the time. Most of the time I am fine...but there are those times like last night... Thank you again!

Today would have been my Mom's birthday. I was 17 when she and my Dad were killed by a drunk driver. Time does heal a lot of wounds but there are days, like today, that make your heart so heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;2809778;
    Today would have been my Mom's birthday. I was 17 when she and my Dad were killed by a drunk driver. Time does heal a lot of wounds but there are days, like today, that make your heart so heavy.
    Oh Bunny, I can't imagine the pain of losing both parents in such a tragic way. I was an adult when my dad passed away. 17...I can't imagine losing anyone at that age... My dad's health was faltering when he passed away...and his death was difficult--but he had lived a long and fulfilling life. I am so sorry for your huge loss. And I will be thinking about you and your parents on what would've been her birthday.

+ Reply to Thread