+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Traditions

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    To help you appreciate your decorating skills.......

http://www.uglychristmaslights.com/

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

This Christmas Eve feels odd. Usually, I work or I am at my mom's helping her prepare for the Christmas Eve supper. But last year my sister and I decided that we would both go to the inlaws on the same day and be at our parents the other. One year it's Christmas Eve, the other Christmas Day. Tonight is supper at the in-laws. I will miss our special Calabrese tradition. In my father's town in Italy, on Christmas Eve they would have 13 plates on the table to represent Christ and his apostles. No meat was allowed, but bread, fruits and nuts were counted.

We have continued this tradition throughout the years. It is a lot of work, and a lot of food, but we all enjoy it. We'll still do it tomorrow, but it will be different.

We don't have much family here. Actually, my mom has 11 siblings here, but we don't really keep in touch. All of my father's family, those that really matter, are in Italy. So today, so far, it feels like a normal day.

Maybe I should start a tradition with my husband and my son so I don't feel so empty.

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate
    2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? He wraps them.
    3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? They have to be white. I've lived long enough with my father's multicolored.
    4. Do you hang mistletoe? No
    5. When do you put your decorations up? After American Thanksgiving or on the 1st weekend of December.
    6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? They are called Arancini (little oranges): little risotto balls, stuffed with mozzarella cheese or peas, then rolled in breadcrumbs and fried. Delicious.
    7. Favorite holiday memory as a childThe year we spent Christmas in Italy. It was also the last one with my nonna.
    8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?I don't remember, so I guess it wasn't dramatic.
    9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?We used to open all our presents on Christmas Eve. With my son, we now open them on Christmas day.
    10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?Right now, it's pretty empty. Gold and red balls and white lights. I am planning on redoing it next year with a different color scheme.
    11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?Don't care for it. Unless it's a mild day and the snow is softly coming down, and the world feels like a cocoon.
    12. Can you ice skate?I'm from Quebec, so yes. But don't ask me to play hockey!
    13. Do you remember your favorite gift?I've been staring at the screen for minutes. No I don't remember a favorite gift. What does this say about me? That I am never satisfied or that I love everything that is given to me?
    14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?Family.
    15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?It is certainly not Pannetonne. Everything else goes.
    16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? See above post.
    17. What tops your tree? A star.
    18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?Giving.
    19. What is your favorite Christmas song?Silent night or Christmas (Baby please come home).

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate
    2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wraps them with name tags.
    3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Coloured lights
    4. Do you hang mistletoe? No
    5. When do you put your decorations up? Beginning of December
    6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? My Mom's stuffing
    7. Favorite holiday memory as a child We always went to Church for midnight mass and when we got home Santa would bring me more presents, this one year when I was 4 or 5 he brought me a 5ft. high doll house, 3 floors with an open deck on top, which was awesome - handmade by my Dad
    8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Very traumatic here. When I was 8yrs old my Mom decided to tell me because she didn't want me to find out from other kids at school. Well she told me late one night when I was going to bed and I didn't believe her so she went and brought all the notes and little gifts (I used to roll up pennies for Santa so he'd have more money to buy gifts) that I used to leave for Santa and gave them back to me. Needless to say I was extremely crushed.
    9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Always open them all Christmas Eve after getting home from Midnight Mass at Church 1am in the morning.
    10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Little lights, balls, ornaments, garland, tinsel
    11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love snow, especially the white fluffy kind
    12. Can you ice skate? Haven't tried since I was a little kid because I have a fear of falling.
    13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Probably the doll house I mentioned before
    14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Family
    15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Shortbread cookies
    16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Going to Church and then the present opening after, we also always have a ham bun before going to bed too. I still get together with my parents to do this every year we can.
    17. What tops your tree? Angel
    18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Both
    19. What is your favorite Christmas song? O, Holy Night
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    I can't remember who posted their tradition about the mimosa's, but I want to thank you so much. Hubby and I started this tradition this year. He was a little hesitant, but did it for me and actually loved it. He was upset when the bottle was gone He said next year he's getting 2 bottles. Made Christmas with the family a little more interesting
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie;2187879;
    I can't remember who posted their tradition about the mimosa's, but I want to thank you so much. Hubby and I started this tradition this year. He was a little hesitant, but did it for me and actually loved it. He was upset when the bottle was gone He said next year he's getting 2 bottles. Made Christmas with the family a little more interesting
    I think it was myrosiedog who has that tradition....I may have to make a mental note to do that next year!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2187890;
    I think it was myrosiedog who has that tradition....I may have to make a mental note to do that next year!
    thanks bbnbama, I thought it was her too, but didn't want to upset anyone if I was wrong. Let me tell you, that is the best tradition ever. We were calm and not rushing around like fools
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Bubba-Jo-Lyn - Growing up, my family always opened gifts after midnight mass, too. I really miss that. We'd turn off all the lights but for the tree and candles and put on some Christmas music. It just looked magical. Especially as a child, it was so fun to stay up until 3 a.m. or so. My parents loved it because then they could sleep in while we played with our toys the next day. I'm not sure what a ham bun is, but we always had a snack after all the hard work of opening presents, too.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie;2187906;
    thanks bbnbama, I thought it was her too, but didn't want to upset anyone if I was wrong. Let me tell you, that is the best tradition ever. We were calm and not rushing around like fools
    Yep it was me. My mom started it.

Noting like a good champagne buzz first thing on Christmas morning. Makes the present opening a little more fun and spirited!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2187918;
    I'm not sure what a ham bun is, but we always had a snack after all the hard work of opening presents, too.
    Just my Mom's weird way of saying a ham sandwich made on a bun instead of bread. She infected me with her sayings as a child and now I sometimes can't tell which make sense to just us or to everyone.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

+ Reply to Thread