1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Presents are always wrapped under the tree. Does Santa do it....hmmmmm, I think not since that is my project for today.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Growing up it was always the multicolored big lights. Then we went for the colored mini-lights. Then we had to have white only mini-lights. This year we have gone "retro" and have the big multi-colored lights again
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No, but I showed my daughter a packet of it in a store last week and asked her if we should buy it. I think she was afraid she would have to stand under it and be kissed!
5. When do you put your decorations up? Sometimes I start the weekend right after Thanksgiving, but more likely the first week of December. It takes a good 3-5 days to get everything set up, yet hubby doesn't understand that it is going to take just as long to put everything away! We use my older daughter's old bedroom as the computer room here, and have all the decos stashed in her huge closet.....easier than dealing with the attic or basement! We put up the strings of icicle lights, other outdoor lights, garlands, wreaths, etc., earlier than that to take advantage of warm weather, but have been know to be outdoors decorating in the cold and snow! I also put candles in all the windows. I have a village collection that gets set up every year too. In the eating area of the kitchen, I have my Santa collection set up. Have a small pre-lit tree in the family room and another in the dining room; the big tree in the living room. One Nativity Set is set up on the living room mantel and another is set up on our dining room sideboard. Every end table has some sort of Christmas decoration on it. I have Christmas towels and Santa candles in the bathrooms, and a Santa cookie jar and Christmas towels and wreath hanging in my kitchen.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Sounds boring, but its got to be the turkey. I just love the aroma of a turkey cooking in the oven.
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: I grew up in Brooklyn and remember going to visit my grandparents one Christmas Eve night. Must have been 6 or so. I looked up in the sky and saw Santa and his reindeer flying. No one else in the car saw him though. But he was real! Another time, we found a ton of toys stashed in my parents' bedroom closet. We waited until she was busy doing something else, then went in and snooped. We were thrilled to see so many neat things. Imagine our surprise on Christmas morning when we discovered all different stuff under the tree. My mom and one of her friends decided to stash the presents in each other's houses that year. So all of those neat toys went to my mom's friend's kids, not us!
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Probably around 7 or 8, when my older brother spilled the beans.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Sometimes.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? The small tree in the family room has smaller ornaments on it. The small tree in the dining room has my collection of Waterford Crystal ornaments and tree topper on it. The big tree in the living room has old and new ornaments that we have collected through the years, as well as all the kids' homemade ornaments. It takes the longest to decorate because we have to reminisce about so many of them. We also used to put a bunch of stuffed teddy bears and my collection of the misfits from Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer around the fireplace, but haven't in the last two years because we figured our puppy would chew on them or drag them all through the house.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love a white Christmas....it doesn't seem right to have no snow at Christmastime (like this year!) I love a good snowstorm (2 feet plus) as long as I am sitting in the comforts of home. Dread driving in it. Living now in upstate NY, I should be used to it by now but if I don't have to go out, I stay off the roads. If school should have a snowday, we bake chocolate chip cookies and drink hot chocolate and watch the snow pile up outside.
12. Can you ice skate? I used to when the kiddies were younger. Now I fear falling and not being able to get up or breaking an arm or a leg or my neck or back!
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I have been sitting here trying to think of one....so I guess I don't! Any handmade Christmas gift from the kids always rank up there though.
14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Getting together with my loved ones.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? My Buche de Noel...yule log...it is killer!
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? After decorating the house, wrapping all the gifts, and baking holiday treats (while Christmas CDs are playing on the stereo), I also love to ride around different neighborhoods and check out all the homes lit up.
17. What tops your tree? An angel on the big tree, a Waterford tree topper on the dining room tree, and a star on the family room tree.
18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Giving...but receiving is nice too!
19. What is your favorite Christmas song? O, Holy Night and Fairtytale of New York are my favorites, but I really love all of them. I even put them all on my iPod, so I can listen to them at this time of year when out walking with the dog.