+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Traditions

I found the perfect white elephant gift in a thrift shop back in the summer. At least, I thought it was pretty cool. It's a white ceramic jar with a picture of a pig on it that says "FAT CAN". I thought it was hilariously embarrassing - a can for your bacon fat that's not even a can.

So at our gift exchange, I was amazed to see that a couple of my friends actually stole to get that thing twice! It turns out that they are both avid cooks and it was somehow desirable to people who save their fat. Who knew? I thought it was completely outdated.

I walked away with a Tic-Tac-Toe drinking game, so it was a fair exchange.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Egg nog

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? When I was a child, Santa rang the bell and left the presents in the front porch. We were awake because we'd just gotten home from Midnight Mass. We'd run out to look for him but we never saw him. We only heard his jingle bells. For my daughter, Santa wrapped with special wrapping paper. This is because one year my nephew told my sister, "Mom! Santa uses the same wrapping paper that you do!" I made a note that when I had kids, Santa needed his own paper.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? colored

4. Do you hang mistletoe? no

5. When do you put your decorations up? Around the first weekend in December.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Posole con menudo. I only like the posole part. The kids called it Popcorn Soup.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: On Christmas Eve, everyone would gather at my parent's house. We are a large family. I have nieces and nephews that are closer to my age than my older siblings. So all the grown-up siblings would return with their families. We would have a huge spread of food, a turkey or ham, but also tamales, posole, empanadas. We ate, then we would open all the presents, seemed like hundreds. We didn't draw names. This usually took until it was time to go to Midnight Mass, which was always a surreal spiritual experience. When we'd come home, the food was brought out and warmed up and we'd just share more family time and, of course, Santa would come just before it was time to go to bed.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I'm not sure I know the truth about Santa now. Has he been on E! True North Pole Stories yet?

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? As a child we opened all of them prior to Mass. For my daughter, it was Christmas morning.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Lights, garland, a variety of vintage ornaments, store-bought ornaments, handmade ones, collectibles, all sorts - no theme or color scheme.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Yes.

12. Can you ice skate? No, I'm partial to unbroken bones.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Family, faith, friends.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Mom's special empanadas

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Starting when my daughter was about 4, a group of friends, she and I would go caroling at the senior citizen centers. We did it until she graduated from High school. We always had a great time. We would sing first in the social room, then we would go through all the halls. The people who lived there would come to their doors to listen. Some would request certain songs, others would dance a little (especially to Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree). Some would almost make us cry because they'd tell us stories from their life about a particular song. One year, when my daughter was a teenager, one of the elderly women that had heard us sing for years asked, "Where's the little one this year?" I smiled and pointed to my daughter. The woman's eyes sparkled and she held her hands to her heart and said, "Oh! You've grown into a lovely young woman!" and hugged her. We haven't done this in a few years, and I do miss it.

17. What tops your tree? An angel.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? I love picking out the perfect gifts and wrapping them just so. So I prefer giving. But I also I love the thought and care that goes into gifts, so I also really enjoy receiving.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song? Pretty much all of them. Joy to the world, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Silent Night for traditionals, Rockin around the Christmas Tree, I believe in Father Christmas, Merry Christmas. Darling for non-traditional.

Here's my asnwers to that christmas meme. I actually did is several weeks ago on my lj

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
    Hot chocolate with french vanilla creamer.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
    He must wrap them, beacause I get gifts from santa a good week befor christmas under the tree.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
    Well, it USE to colored lights. But now we have a crappy fake tree with built in fibre optics that change color.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
    No

5. When do you put your decorations up?
    The week befor christmas usually.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
    Stuffing!

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
    I have two. One would be going to the zoo after we open our gifts, cus we would pretty much have the entire zoo to ourselfs. And on christmas eve, dressing up in our pajamas and go look at christmas lights and CandyCane Lane, then go to Pizza and Pipes, an awesome pizza place that no longer exists, that had a giant organ on the wall the blew bubbles from the pipes.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Around 8 years old. I wanted to set a trap for Santa, but my mom would never let me.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
    Pajamas. It's tradition.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
    Mostly lil figurine ornaments. And all my elephant ornaments. I am going to have an elephant christmas tree by the time i move out. My tree now is alread 70% elephant

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
    It would be better if it werent so cold when it happened.

12. Can you ice skate?
    No because I am a klutz.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
    A couple of years ago, my sister got me a jade elephant pendant. I had wanted a jade elephant pendant for as long as I could remember.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
    Cookies and food.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
    My grandma's homemade apple pie.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
    hmmm new jammies on christmas eve. And a new elephant ornament each year.

17 What tops your tree?
    A penguin plushy holding a christmas gift and wearing a scarf and hat. And now the elephant tree topper my mom found

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
    Giving i guess, because I am a neurotic artist and all my gifts must be BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
    O Holy Night and The First Noel

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
    Depends on what flavor

21. Favorite Christmas movie?
    the claymation Rudolph and the Muppets Christmas Charol

22. What do you leave for Santa?
    I use to leave Oreos. And i use to INSIST that we leave carrots for the raindeer, because they needed a treat too, as they did all the hard work.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Egg nog
    2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? wrapped
    3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? It depends on which one works.
    4. Do you hang mistletoe? No
    5. When do you put your decorations up? From Dec. 1 to Dec. 24
    6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Smoked Pheasant
    7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: Opening stockings with my brother while it was still dark out.
    8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I don't remember.
    9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Never
    10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Lights, garland, then ornaments
    11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it
    12. Can you ice skate? No
    13. Do you remember your favorite gifts. My high school jacket
    14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Family and the reason we celebrate
    15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Homemade butter cookies from a 200+ years old recipe
    16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Watching the Grinch and Charlie Brown,White Christmas and Christmas Vacation
    17. What tops your tree? Star, Angel ,Santa depends on what we vote on
    18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Both
    19. What is your favorite Christmas song? I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas. and Silent Night

I will answer the questions, but at first I will tell you a bit about Christmas in Sweden since we don’t really have the same traditions as you do in the US. Christmas Eve is the day for celebration here. The way we (as in my family) do it is we eat Christmas Dinner in the early afternoon. Christmas dinner is a smorgasbord with lots of different things; pickled herring, eggs, bread (including a special kind for Christmas), mustard glazed ham, meatballs, different kinds of sausages for example. After dinner it’s From all of us to all of you (Disney Christmas special (I have been told numerous times that me and my sister sound like Chip and Dale as they explain how the tree was cut)). In the late afternoon we have some more relatives over and we hand out the gifts, Santa shows up depending on whether or not there are children, the youngest this year is 8 (From France so all of her friends are awed that she goes to the cold North and gets to meet Santa) so maybe he’ll show. Usually we put rhymes on the gifts to make the person try and guess what is in the package. After that we eat some more Christmas food, boiled rice pudding, saffron bread, ginger bread cookies, and candy. On Christmas Day we just relax and chill, maybe meet some friends or family again, but then it’s more relaxed.

OK, now I can answer the questions.

1.Egg nog or hot chocolate? I have only had egg nog once (last week) and I must say I prefer hot chocolate. The egg nog was a day old and Mr. Fatale said it was not at its best though.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? They’re wrapped when he’s bringing them in his sack.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Since we live in a flat we don’t use lights, but I prefer the white ones.
    4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope
    5. When do you put your decorations up? The first ones, mainly candlesticks, in late November/early December. Small santas and such, usually the weekend before Christmas (depending on what day Christmas is) but I just realised that I haven’t put them up for this year, I’ve been way to busy! (I almost made an error with busy, putting busty instead )
    6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? I think I must say the Christmas ham, mustard glazed. Or maybe it’s not my favourite, but the most important. Since I like everything I’m sticking with the ham though.
    7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: I always liked when we came to grandma's flat and met the rest of the family and prepared dinner. I also liked when watching From all of us in the Santas workshop clip when they say "take someone's hand and join us on this trio" (or something similar and you grabbed the nearest hand, no matter whose.
    8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? What truth?*
    9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Like I said, we open all gifts on Christmas Eve. Here it’s more like if you open a gift in the morning, but no I don’t do that.
    10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? We don’t have a tree but I prefer not too over-decorated. My parents’ tree always goes in red and gold and I like those colours, they’re Christmas-y.
    11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I like snow Luckily in my town they are good at getting it off the roads and bike lanes.
    12. Can you ice skate? Yes. Although I haven’t done it in several years so don’t expect me to be good if you drag me out on the ice.
    13. Do you remember your favorite gift? A cliché answer; anything that comes from the heart and is thought through just for me.
    14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Spending time with the people that I love.
    15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? “Ris à la Malta”, the leftovers of the boiled rice pudding mixed with whipped cream and vanilla. Preferably served with mashed strawberries.
    16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? I like the time that is taken to reflect. We go to the cemetery every year to light candles for our loved ones and it’s a good relaxation and you get to think about the true meaning of Christmas. I guess if I spend Christmas elsewhere I would still like some time to just calm down and reflect. I also think it’s cool to think about everyone around the world that so many are involved in this, doing the same things as we do, sharing the love. Unfortunately not everyone ahs this love, which really is sad.
    17. What tops your tree? No tree hear, so we’ll see when we get one
    18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Both are fun I like thinking about presents and rhymes for all the people but of course it’s fun to get gifts as well.
    19. What is your favorite Christmas song? Modern: Fairytale of New York
    Classic; Oh, Holy night is really powerful. Then I also like some Swedish ones.

If you’re here, thanks for putting up with my long post!

*In real life it was my mum who gave us hints since she didn’t want us to be too old and still believe in Santa. So when he came over she asked to notice if anyone was missing or if Santa had any distinguishing features. Turns out my cousin’s boyfriend showed up late, wearing the same coloured socks as Santa. Hmmm…
    The year before that we were in full Santa mode though, preparing water and carrots for his reindeers to eat while Santa was inside with us.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Hot chocolate
    2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wrap and it kills his back
    3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? We vary from year to year. This year it's white lights and red beads on the tree and outside we have big christmas bulbs, lit spiral trees and a blow up Frosty.
    4. Do you hang mistletoe? Nope
    5. When do you put your decorations up? Usually the weekend after Thanksgiving - we were late this year
    6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Homemade scalloped potatoes
    7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: Peeking out for Santa at what I thought was close to morning and seeing my brother and his girlfriend on the couch and I couldn't believe Santa wasn't here yet (meanwhile looking back, it was probably 10:00!!)
    8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I must have suspected, but I was watching Rudolph (the ONE time it was shown!!) and the snowman scared me so I went to my Mom's room and her and my older sister were wrapping everything.
    9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Nope. I try to persuade my husband every year, but it doesn't work.
    10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? White lights, red beads and hundreds of various ornaments - homemade, hallmark, personalized. We get ornaments everywhere we go, so I love reminiscing about things when we put the tree up.
    11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? LOVE IT.
    12. Can you ice skate? Yup, pretty good too!
    13. Do you remember your favorite gift? A Baby That-a-Way in 2nd grade, but more recently my daughter who was born on 12/20 and brought home from the hospital on 12/24
    14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Enjoying my family (immediate and extended) because you just never know who will be around for the next one (sad fact, but true)
    15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Me & My Mom make cookies every year and I love eating from the assortment.
    16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Going to see the tree in Rockefeller Center and also decorating the tree together
    17. What tops your tree? An angel
    18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Giving without a doubt. I love the look on someone's face when I give them something I know they either weren't expecting or were hoping for.
    19. What is your favorite Christmas song? Breath of Heaven by Amy Grant and Christmas Wrappings by the Waitresses.
    20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? I like them, but don't often eat them
    21. Favorite Christmas movie? Charlie Brown Christmas and Holiday Affair (the remake with Cynthia Gibb - total dorky movie, but I love it)
    22. What do you leave for Santa? Cookies & milk for the Big Guy and carrots for the Reindeer

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;2184356;
    19. What is your favorite Christmas song? Breath of Heaven by Amy Grant
    I LOVE that song. It's on my Grover Washington Jr. CD and it always makes me want to cry. Going to go listen to it right now.

I have another favorite now that someone sent me. Clay Aiken sings it and its called: All is Well. Great song.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-21-2006 at 09:14 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I agree - Breath of Heaven is beautiful. I also like Mary Did You Know. I forget who sings it, but it brings a tear to the eye for sure.

MRD
    I have a question for all you Christmas Carol people.

Our old church used to sing a song to the tune of the 12 days of Christmas.
    But instead of the partridge, et al, they used:
    Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace, Everlasting Father, Mighty God, etc.

I have googled this and do not find the right one. Anyone know this one?
    I need the title. I want to find a recording of it.

Thanks
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I never heard of this, but if you find it, please let me know.

+ Reply to Thread