+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Traditions

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2179082;
    Um, what time should the hubby and I be over for dinner? We'll do the dishes! Yum, I love pierogies, but have never had homemade ones...

(And combatcutie, I hope you and your husband have a baby next time this year! It'd be the cutest!)

Thanks Lois. I hope so too. I also hope that if you and hubby decide you want to try again, it works out for you.

I'll have to ask Dad. I remember as a kid making the pierogies with them, but we've gotten lazy and buy Mrs. T's LOL
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

We played a variation of the dollar game yesterday, everyone had brought a gift and we took turns rolling a dice, for 1 or 6 you could pick any gift (from the pile or from someone else). Let me just give you a tip, don't play it with couples. We were eight playing with two couples. Of course they played as a unity, not taking each others gifts. A bit cheating (or maybe I'm just bitter since Mr. Fatale didn't come) if you ask me.

Anyways it's a nice tradition we have, some friends get together before Christmas to eat Christmas things and such, hand out presents (usually we just give them out without playing), it was our fifth time this year (then we're graduating, so maybe it was our last time).

Myrosiedog, I got your tacky gift right here! A few years ago I attended a white elephant gift exchange and went home with a lovely necklace. It's a moose turd on a gold chain. I'm still waiting for just the right time/person to spring it on.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I once got a reindeer toy that pooped jellybeans at an office swap.

A friend emailed this one to me, I thought I'd share it for anyone who'd like to copy it and answer the questions here on fort. I'm gonna post my answers in this one and put a blank in another.

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Hot Chocolate
    2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wrapped
    3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? We have both in storage so it's whatever we feel like at the time.
    4. Do you hang mistletoe? No
    5. When do you put your decorations up? The Sunday after Thanksgiving.
    6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Beef tenderloin
    7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: Having just the lights on the tree on, candles burning watching whatever Christmas special was on tv that night.
    8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I figured it out myself in second grade
    9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Growing up, my family opened them all after midnight mass, but my husband makes us wait until morning .
    10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Ornaments, lights and beaded garland
    11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it at first, then dread it around February
    12. Can you ice skate? Let's just say I can slide around on the ice and leave it at that.
    13. Do you remember your favorite gift? A life size blow-up Rudolph (No comments from you, Newf ) .
    14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? The reasons we celebrate at all.
    15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Cookies
    16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Cooking a special meal on Christmas Eve and driving around looking at the holiday lights after visiting my sister and her family.
    17. What tops your tree? A star
    18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Giving
    19. What is your favorite Christmas song? Traditional - While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night
    Non- traditional - Run-DMC's Christmas in Hollis
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Sorry to be a Fort-hog, but here's the blank - I look forward to reading your responses.

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
    2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
    3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
    4. Do you hang mistletoe?
    5. When do you put your decorations up?
    6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
    7. Favorite holiday memory as a child:
    8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
    9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
    10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
    11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
    12. Can you ice skate?
    13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
    14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?
    15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
    16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
    17. What tops your tree?
    18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
    19. What is your favorite Christmas song?

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2183601;
    Myrosiedog, I got your tacky gift right here! A few years ago I attended a white elephant gift exchange and went home with a lovely necklace. It's a moose turd on a gold chain. I'm still waiting for just the right time/person to spring it on.
    Oh boy! I will make sure you never get my mailing address!

We went to Vermont about 8 years ago for Christmas. I was amazed at the moose turd candy sold EVERYWHERE. It's made out of chocolate, but it looks, like, wel a moose turd. Now that's appetizing!

I think hearing about everyone's white elephant gift exchanges is fun and everyone has such fun and sentimental traditions.

I like to think our traditions connect us with generations past and present and future.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey
    1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? neither
    2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Neither. Santa sits them out on a chair, "store window" display style.
    3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? White
    4. Do you hang mistletoe? no
    5. When do you put your decorations up? Thanksgiving weekend.
    6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Scrambled eggs with sausage mixed in (not a traditional one, but a definite tradition in my family)
    7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: The year my grandmother gave me an Adoption Doll (the pre-cursor to Cabbage Patch Kids). I picked the present I was convinced was "her", and poked holes in the corners so she could breath. I had the box right, and have never been so excited to open a present.
    8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Joey came around telling everyone during lunch in second grade. Funny story - at my class reunion this Summer, when I saw Joey, I reminded him that he'd been the one to tell me about Santa. He told me that I was the fourth person that night to tell him he'd been the one to ruin Santa.
    9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Sometimes - primarily if my mom has bought my sister and me matching pajamas.
    10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? By talking my mom into putting the lights on when I'm lucky!
    11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love to look at it, hate to drive in it or walk though it if it's icy.
    12. Can you ice skate? I used to be able to, but I don't think it'd be safe to try now.
    13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Adoption doll metioned above.
    14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Family, and recognizing the birth of Christ.
    15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Bakers Square french silk pie.
    16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? The reading of THe Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve - originally by my dad, now by my brother-in-law for my nephew.
    17. What tops your tree? a Madame Alexander angel
    18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? giving - including the challenge of thinking of the perfect gifts.
    19. What is your favorite Christmas song? O Holy Night for a traditional, the third track on the third Very Special Christmas CD for a contemporary one. (it's by Natalie Merchant. I can't remember the name)

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Egg Nog
    2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Parents wrap/Santa puts under the tree
    3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Tree white/house blue (husband's choice)
    4. Do you hang mistletoe? No
    5. When do you put your decorations up? About two weeks before Christmas
    6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Candied sweet potatoes
    7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: My grandparents coming to stay with us for the week between Christmas and New Years
    8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
    9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Never!
    10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Ornaments, lights, tinsel/garland
    11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it
    12. Can you ice skate? Yes, but I don't stay up very long
    13. Do you remember your favorite gift? My son - born 12/14
    14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Remembering why we celebrate Christmas
    15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Pumpkin pie
    16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Going to church on Christmas Eve
    17. What tops your tree? Angel
    18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Definitely giving
    19. What is your favorite Christmas song? Oh Holy Night

MRD
    1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? Egg nog until I over indulged a few years ago with some Captain Morgan spiced nog and now I can't even smell it. I will spare you the details.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa doesn't wrap. He doesn't have time. Too many houses to go too and the elves demand extra money for wrapping. It's not in their contract.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Colored on tree, white outside

4. Do you hang mistletoe? yes and my trees outside are full of it.

5. When do you put your decorations up? Thanksgiving weekend.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish this is hard: stuffing I guess or a honey baked ham. NO wait, we sometimes do Prime Rib and that has to be the favorite.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child: my dad reading me the night before Christmas every Christmas Eve and going to the candle light service at church.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Truth about Santa? What truth? What do you know? He IS real you know!!!

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? I used to as a child, now my daughter gets Christmas PJ's (so she'll look cute in the Christmas morning pictures.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? A mix of Hallmark, old family stuff, handmade stuff my child has made and that other people have made and given us. This year for the first time, I have a small tree entirely done in Wizard of Oz. Have been collecting those ornaments for over 10 years now. The topper is a pair of Ruby slippers of course. And I handmade a yellow brick road garland out of yellow ribbon, a sharpie marker and a ruler. Pain in the butt, but it looks nice.

11. Snow! Only seen it twice, so I would say love it if I don't have to drive in it.

12. Can you ice skate? Does hanging on the rail for dear life count?

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? I got a 1977 yellow Camaro one year for Christmas. Definetly a great gift. I don't think my parents saw me the rest of the day.

14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Family, traditions and the birth of Jesus

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Christmas cookies

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Baking a birthday cake for Jesus. This started the year my daughter was 2 and to her birthdays meant birthday cake, so that is what we did and we put a candle on it and sing Happy Birthday Jesus.

17. What tops your tree? A moving angel whose lights quit working. She creeps my daughter out by moving.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? giving, but I do like to unwrap gifts too.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song? Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. Particularly done by Grover Washington, Jr.
    And Oh come, Oh come Emmanuel and And Angels we have heard on high as I love to sing the Glor-or-or-ia part. No one else loves t hear me sing it though.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread