+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Traditions

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2178052;
    OMG! this so reminds me of a similar thing with me and 4 friends. One year this really ugly, tacky and EXPENSIVE gift appeared in my friends home. No one in her family would own up to it. She showed it to me and it gave me the creeps and I couldn't stop talking about it. So the next year, I got it as a gift. Then the next year, I gave it to a different friend and so on. I currently have it and need to get it in the mail to one of the friends. And we always write on the tag that is attached to this thing who got it which year.
    Too funny and thanks for the reminder as I have to get it in the mail.
    Okay, I need to know - what is this ugly, tacky and expensive item? Do you have a picture? I reallllyyyyy need to know . Believe it or not, Mr. Rattus thinks I'm nosy - I just prefer to think that curiousity is a sign of an active mind.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

We do a white elephant gift exchange with friends every year. I swear I have had the PERFECT gift for months. I knew it when I saw it.

I have a friend who reads here so I can't name it.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2178070;
    Okay, I need to know - what is this ugly, tacky and expensive item? Do you have a picture? I reallllyyyyy need to know . Believe it or not, Mr. Rattus thinks I'm nosy - I just prefer to think that curiousity is a sign of an active mind.
    It's this cloth mouse stringing plastic popcorn in a basket. It is actually a very collectible "thing" and these very ugly animals are sold as collectibles.
    This particular one is about 3 inches high is about 6 years old and the price tag from 6 years ago is still on it and was $28.95 I can't remember the name of the thing, but the face is painted on it and its creepy. It's an "Annalee" doll.

And its now worth $52. Maybe I should sell it instead of giving it back this year!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MRD; 12-14-2006 at 06:34 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2178090;
    And its now worth $52. Maybe I should sell it instead of giving it back this year!
    $52! Yikes! Things being what they are this year, I'd say yeah, sell it if you can . You can keep the tradition going with something new, ugly, tacky and CHEAP.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

We used to do the Christmas with my maternal grandparents and family. When my grandparents passed away, my sister, mother and I decided to just make it a small family thing. When grandpa died, mom got his house, so I still have Christmas at Grandma's, though.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Rosiedog! Annalee dolls are very collectable! I'm not saying I like them, but I've actually been at the original store with thousands of them around me. Don't let it give you nightmares.
    Count your blessings!

MRD.....I don't know if Annalee is a northern or New England kind of thing, but my sister's MIL collects them. She has a ton of them. She loves them. My sister thinks they are butt ugly though. They remind me of the Grinch characters!

Sis's in-laws live in my town and invited us over one time to see their Christmas decorations. If you could imagine walking into an Annalee Christmas Shoppe, this is what her house looked like. They were everywhere! She has a ton of them for Halloween too. Don't know about other holidays, but this woman decorates her house for every occasion.

After my BIL died, his mom just couldn't get into all the decorating. It was way too hard for her. She went "minimal" that first year with her decorations, which was still like 5 times more than any normal person would decorate a house! LOL Anyway, she asked my sister if she wanted any of these things. My sister was afraid they would cause her kids to have nightmares, so she said no.

My sister is afraid that when her in-laws leave this earth, she will inherit all of this stuff. I told her we'll hit EBay if and when that happens. If you look on EBay, there are over 1600 Annalee items up for sale!

Lucy...your post reminded me of one time when my dad gave my sister and I some money and sent us shopping for a nightgown for my mom. He was in one area of the store and we were in the clothing department. I think I was maybe 13 and my sister was maybe 10. I can't imagine being much older than that. Anyway, we saw this frilly baby doll pajama set in this really weird orangey-pinkish color. We held it up, figured it would fit mom, and bought it! I knew how to wrap gifts as I ended up wrapping it and putting it under the tree. Mom was not amused when she opened it up in front of all of us (and our peacock auntie!) and Dad never let the two of us buy anything again for mom without his approval.

Another of our family traditions is that every year, for Christmas Eve breakfast we listen to A Christmas Gift for You by Phil Spector and artists. It's the one time during Christmas we listen to it. Until last year when my parents' record player had broke . I got it for them on CD now, so I hope they haven't found it themselves. They did say that they were getting a new record player, but hopefully they'll like the CD anyway. I just hae to give it as a morning gift (we hand out the gifts on the night of Christmas Eve) so that, if they want to, we can listen to it for breakfast. Right now I'm just hoping that I won't wake up to it on Christmas Eve.

Last year I had gotten them a DVD from our home town during the years. So the day before Christmas I was at their place, trying to come up with a rhyme and then found it in their DVD collection. It really was annoying, trying to come up with a rhyme for a gift I knew I/they would have to return.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Christmas Eve, my parents have a typical polish dinner......fish, pierogies, mashed potato w/cheese (absolutely no kind of meat) clam chowder and wafer. My father makes all of this. I have been buying the fish for him the last few years to take the financial strain off them. My father is the first to break the waffer (it has a polish name, but I don't know how to spell it) with everyone at the table. Then the next person breaks with everyone and so on. There is always an extra place setting for Jesus. Then we exchange gifts.

My sister lucks out on Christmas morning because she lives with my parents and they get the joy of watching the kids open their presents.

Christmas morning is just me and hubby (hopefully next year it will be different). We exchange gifts Last year was the first year without our dog, so I started a new ritual and we will now go out to his grave, put a little Christmas tree on it, and say a little prayer. Then we get ready to go to my Grandparents house for early dinner (it used to be at 11:30, but we have been able to move it to about 1) Everyone in the family brings a dish or two. Then it is off to the in-laws.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie;2178835;
    Christmas Eve, my parents have a typical polish dinner......fish, pierogies, mashed potato w/cheese (absolutely no kind of meat) clam chowder and wafer.
    Um, what time should the hubby and I be over for dinner? We'll do the dishes! Yum, I love pierogies, but have never had homemade ones...

Someone posted about lutefisk earlier here. When I stayed with a friend in Norway a while ago, I had this and actually liked it! I like lots of "weird" food though, so don't hold that against me! (I also ate reindeer with cream sauce...this I didn't like so much!)

(And combatcutie, I hope you and your husband have a baby next time this year! It'd be the cutest!)

+ Reply to Thread