+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Holiday Traditions

I've also played that game, but in that version you're not allowed to open the gifts you have and therefore the choosing is based purely on the outside look.

About 15 years ago I decided that I was really not into spending all day chopping and peeling and sauteing and baking just to end up with a meal that was gone in less than half an hour, so Mr. Rattus and I decided to have nachos for Christmas dinner since we both like them, and we've been doing it ever since. The only change every year is the dessert (this year it's bread pudding with whisky sauce and it's freakin' delicious).

So our Christmas is: get up, have a light breakfast, read for a while, exchange gifts, go for a long walk, pick up some videos (we only rent videos this one day of the year), bring them home, lock the door and unplug the phone, watch videos, eat little oranges, pate, brie, water biscuits, nuts, escargot, mushroom puffs, sausage rolls, poppers, etc., watch some more videos, make nachos, more videos, bread pudding, more videos, bed, with perhaps a little pre-bed snack beforehand.

This probably seems a little sad to all those who like and enjoy their families, but it has honestly become my favourite day of the year, as opposed to the trepidatously awaited, hysteria, drunkenness and abuse inducing nightmare of the first 25 years of my life. I truly hated Christmas until I discovered that it wasn't the law that you had to spend it with your family.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD
    We did that last year with a $50 gift. There were about 12 of us and it was hilarious because these were some nice gifts and a couple duds (one of those steam cleaners like they advertise on tv). My daughter got a gift card from an aunt to a store she doesn't like. So we bought it off her for $50 and used that as our gift. I taped it to the bottom of the box, put dog food on top and therefore the gift rattled mysteriously so when people picked it up, they were very curious as to what was inside. Once opened, the gift card traded hands a couple times and was much coveted!

I ended up with the Magic Bullet Food chopper and I LOVE it. I think it was my favorite gift from last year. I use it ALL the time. But we laughed so hard we almost fell over during the hilarity.

I've never done one for that much money, but it was fun and I did get something I had been wanting.

It is a really fun game. We had done it the previous year with our dinner club and one of the gifts was a book entitled 365 days of sexual positions. Talk about a screamer. That gift was the hit of the party and everyone kept looking at it and going: how do they DO that!!!! That was a $10 gift exchange year.

I wish we were able to do one this year. Would be a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2177550;
    About 15 years ago I decided that I was really not into spending all day chopping and peeling and sauteing and baking just to end up with a meal that was gone in less than half an hour, so Mr. Rattus and I decided to have nachos for Christmas dinner since we both like them, and we've been doing it ever since. The only change every year is the dessert (this year it's bread pudding with whisky sauce and it's freakin' delicious).

So our Christmas is: get up, have a light breakfast, read for a while, exchange gifts, go for a long walk, pick up some videos (we only rent videos this one day of the year), bring them home, lock the door and unplug the phone, watch videos, eat little oranges, pate, brie, water biscuits, nuts, escargot, mushroom puffs, sausage rolls, poppers, etc., watch some more videos, make nachos, more videos, bread pudding, more videos, bed, with perhaps a little pre-bed snack beforehand.

This probably seems a little sad to all those who like and enjoy their families, but it has honestly become my favourite day of the year, as opposed to the trepidatously awaited, hysteria, drunkenness and abuse inducing nightmare of the first 25 years of my life. I truly hated Christmas until I discovered that it wasn't the law that you had to spend it with your family.
    Actually it doesn't sound sad at all, but very relaxing. I have enjoyed both big, lots of people around Christmas and very small ones and I have liked both.
    I do love bread pudding and whiskey sauce. Want company this year?

We never do a big dinner on Christmas day. I do get a ham and we have snackies and ham biscuits. But our big meal is Christmas Eve, so that we can enjoy the day without me cooking like a fiend. I think the snackies and mimosas are more fun anyway.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-14-2006 at 10:12 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rattus, I think a quiet day with the one you love (and lots of great snacks!) sounds beautiful, not sad. I hope your special day is just as special this year.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2177557;
    Rattus, I think a quiet day with the one you love (and lots of great snacks!) sounds beautiful, not sad. I hope your special day is just as special this year.
    I'm going to ditto Star on this I have a huge family (I'm the youngest of 9) and although we all get along and enjoy each other's company, sometimes it's NICE to have a mellow holiday. For us, that holiday is Thanksgiving. However, last year, all of my siblings opted to go to CT to my brother's house instead of them coming down (which they've done forever) for Christmas. I couldn't go because I was too pregnant and I have to say although I did miss the kids and the craziness a little bit, it sure was nice to hang out in my PJ's (and my new robe which thanks to my big fat pregnant belly barely fit LOL) and eat snacky snacks and not worry about what time it was.

I hope you enjoy your snacks, your movies, your walk and Mr. R on Christmas!

Our holiday traditions have evolved a bit over the years, mostly due to deaths and births. When I was a kid, we'd do the big Christmas dinner with my mom's family (she has four brothers, I have about 20 cousins on that side) on Christmas Eve day. Then we'd come home, do Christmas presents that night or in the morning, and drive four hours to my dad's family in time for dinner. But after my dad died, and his parents died, we've gradually stopped going there at Christmas at all.

Now what we do is, we still do the big family thing with Mom's family -- which now involves about 40 people, all crammed into my grandfather's old house, and everyone brings a dish or two and we eat, then we open the present my grandfather got us (usually a sweatshirt, or dish towels, or something small, as there are so many of us and he's on a fixed income) and he opens the presents we all got for him. These days my cousins are all married and have their own kids and in-laws, so many of them often have to rush off to another dinner. But we do that Christmas Eve usually and then my mom, sister and I come home and go to the Christmas Eve service at mom's church. Then we open one present apiece that night, and sack out on the couch in pajamas and watch movies and eat snacky stuff. In the morning we get up, make coffee, go through our stockings (we still have the ones we had as kids, which are pretty ragged now) open presents, make a big breakfast, and get ready to fix a big dinner for ourselves and Mom's friend Rodger and his sons, and anyone else that Mom has invited. I sometimes get dragged out to a movie that night by Rodger's son, but I prefer to stay home in front of the fire, pajamaed.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

It's great fun reading about everyones' traditions. I don't have family anymore, but Mr. Rose's raucous and fun family gets together every Christmas (as well as other times throughout the year). Over the years, however, the family has grown to huge proportions with last minute changes being made as to who could come for Christmas, and who couldn't. So instead of everyone buying a present for everyone else, about 10 years ago we switched to only buy for the kids under 18. All of us over 18, buy and wrap one gift under $20. Then we pile them together, and write numbers 1 through ??? (depending on how many people are there). Then in numerical order, each person gets to choose a gift, and after opening, as we go along, you can swap up to three times. It makes for a looong, hilarious gift exchange that gets more fun each year as people try to find odd, or practical gifts...whatever you desire. It's a huge hit for our family that we all look forward to every year.
    Last edited by roseskid; 12-14-2006 at 02:38 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

All of your traditions sound fantastic, and almost make me wish I had my huge family around. Almost.

Our nearest relatives are over 600 miles away, so unless someone is visiting for Christmas we are a single family unit celebration. We have a few little things we do every year. There's an advent calendar that I made about 5 years ago that's always a big part of our Christmas. It's a big, felt Christmas tree and the pockets are filled with felt ornaments that you hang as you go. My mom made one when I was a little kid and it was always a part of our tradition. Then she lost it when I was a teenager. So I recreated it from memory (and made her one, too). My husband goes to midnight mass with the older kids, and I get to stay home with the youngest. But I think this year I have to go. My mother-in-law has a tradition of making seven different kinds of fish on Christmas Eve, and now that's become ours too. It's a big pain but whatever makes the husband feel like home, I'll do.

One of my aunts makes Lutefisk every Christmas, and words cannot express the joy and appreciation that I have for living 16 hours away from THAT feast. My own Christmases are spent quietly at home with the Newfs. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

We go to church on Christmas Eve every year. It just gets me into the right mood. A few years ago, my husband went hunting the afternoon of Christmas Eve. He got a deer, and in order to make it to church on time, he left the deer in the back of his truck and came to church with it. My 10-year-old nephew showed up with his 4-year-old sister and promptly told her "Santa's not coming this year. Uncle Bill killed Rudolph." Everybody at church saw the humor in this except my niece, her mother, and ME!

+ Reply to Thread