+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: Holiday Traditions

MRD

Re: Holiday Traditions

Redlady, you should have seen the fights when FSU and Florida played. My mother would put war paint on and egg my dad on something fierce. That day in our house was always a bad one.
    And this Sat. I will put the little containers of my parents ashes on the tv and they can have at it again as this is the big rivalry weekend.

We held their memorial service jointly and we had both the Gators and Seminoles prominantly displayed at the front for the service. When we scattered the ashes, some blew one way, and some the other and my aunt said: "well there they go again, not getting along.".
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3241793;
    Redlady, you should have seen the fights when FSU and Florida played. My mother would put war paint on and egg my dad on something fierce. That day in our house was always a bad one.
    And this Sat. I will put the little containers of my parents ashes on the tv and they can have at it again as this is the big rivalry weekend.

We held their memorial service jointly and we had both the Gators and Seminoles prominantly displayed at the front for the service. When we scattered the ashes, some blew one way, and some the other and my aunt said: "well there they go again, not getting along.".
    That may be the best, most heart warming story I've ever heard.
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything useful, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    F - is for Fire that burns down the whole town.
    U - is for Uranium...BOMBS!
    N - is for No survivors...
    - Plankton, Spongebob Squarepants (FUN Song)

MRD knows how to put the fun in funerals.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Newf, you don't know how true that is. I am probably the ONLY person in the world to have played a practical joke at a funeral.
    My dad loved stupid jokes, magic tricks and the like.
    He always had a squirting boutinnere (sp?) and the can of nuts with the snake.

Well we got a can of those and rigged the snake to pop out when my brother opened the can containing the ashes to scatter them during the service. The entire crowd laughed and my brother said to me: "Dad would be SO proud". Then when I got in my car after the service, he had tied firecrackers to the car door that were supposed to go off when I opened it, but they didn't work. My practical joke did. As you can see, the entire family is nuts, but we got it from our dad.

I think we laughed more at the family funerals than we cried. There were so many funny stories and some real characters in our family that the Eulogies were just a list of all the funny things that had happened to or been caused by the deceased. And add in the fact that my family comes from a LONG line of drinkers too and a funeral is a good excuse to drink in my family. In fact, I have a long list of funeral stories of family members behaving in funny ways at wakes, funerals, etc. LIke the great-aunt who didn't know the Episcopal priest had just returned from rehab and offered him a drink and they got plastered together at an uncles wake and the priest had to go back to rehab and my great-aunt's sister never quit harping on this one sister getting the priest drunk and making him fall off the wagon. My great aunt who had the booze was 85 at the time.
    Her answer to this tirade from he sister was always: "well he could have said NO". They fought about that until one of them died and I'm sure now they're probably on a cloud somewhere still fighting about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;3241840;
    MRD knows how to put the fun in funerals.
    Myrosiedog: Your stories had my laughing! My, could I ever use you here on Saturday at my cousin's memorial! My family is so conservative and serious at the best of times. It's even more uncomfortable to be together sometimes when it's the worst of times.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Miss Kitty, prayers and hugs to you for Sat.

Laughter is the best medicine and my family believed that firmly. We laughed even when it probably wasn't appropriate.

So after the memorial, tell stories and have some laughter. Your cousin would appreciate it.

I think that's what I miss most about holidays. Our family would gather from far and wide and the stories were the best part. And of course, we'd all be howling from laughter as tales were told and re-told.

+ Reply to Thread