+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Traditions

Re: Favorite Holiday Tradition

Yikes Redlady! That's one serious competition. I like the part about euchre, though. We have the same tradition and I will never live down the time I stole the deal from my grandmother and made her cry.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

redlady, I am
    You should write a book. It would be a bestseller.

We have several. We don't put gifts under the tree until Christmas eve night. We get to open one gift on Christmas eve and it's always pajamas.
    I have a Christmas cookie exchange with my friends.
    I handmake my own cards (better get started on that one)
    The night we get the tree up and decorations up, we all turn out the lights except the tree lights and watch A Christmas Story.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3241020;
    Yikes Redlady! That's one serious competition. I like the part about euchre, though. We have the same tradition and I will never live down the time I stole the deal from my grandmother and made her cry.
    LOL In my family, it's more likely to be my grandmother doing the deal stealing. She taught all of us how to play. She's 84, and I wouldn't cross the woman if my life depended on it.
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything useful, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    F - is for Fire that burns down the whole town.
    U - is for Uranium...BOMBS!
    N - is for No survivors...
    - Plankton, Spongebob Squarepants (FUN Song)

redlady, you win! I never laughed so much. And a euchre tournament, to boot? We used to pass around a banana tree in the old days among several families, but never anything of this magnitude. I bow to you!

Yes, yes, I know I'm a downer, but my favourite tradition, and the only way I can tolerate Christmas, is to unplug the phone, bolt the doors and watch movies and eat nachos (and paté and brie and muchroom puffs and little oranges and nuts and chocolates) with Mr. Rattus. And because it is the only time I can get him to sit and do nothing with me for an entire day, it is now my favourite day of the year .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Re: Holiday Traditions

redlady, is your family by any chance Polish? I notice that you're in 'Sconsin, and your family sounds as wacky as mine. (They're Polish and living mostly in Wisconsin.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3241193;
    redlady, is your family by any chance Polish? I notice that you're in 'Sconsin, and your family sounds as wacky as mine. (They're Polish and living mostly in Wisconsin.)
    Nope. Irish on my Dad's side. And I'm just newly a 'sconnie. Moved from Michigan about 2 months ago.

But, if your family needs to adopt a local daughter, I'm available Left my crazy peeps back in Michigan.
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything useful, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I just put up my Christmas icicle lights on the veranda roof; my green garland strung along the rails with multi-colored lights attached; took out my Christmas window boxes; and attached purple velvet bows where they belong. Now, if I can only figure out which bulbs aren't working and get them replaced, everything will look merry and bright! Oh, and we need some snow. Just a little bit please.

Better go look for my Christmas Tree downstairs and bring it up. I wonder how Bella will feel about it? It's her very 1st Christmas with Gracie, Mr. Tootles and I!

The only Holiday traditions we continue to have is that nobody can agree on what we're doing, when we're doing it, and what' we're having! At least there's no surprises! LOL
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Redlady;3241240;
    Nope. Irish on my Dad's side. And I'm just newly a 'sconnie. Moved from Michigan about 2 months ago.

But, if your family needs to adopt a local daughter, I'm available Left my crazy peeps back in Michigan.
    Michigan's close enough -- my brother got his MFA at Michigan State. My mom and dad, as well as my sister, aunts, uncles, most of my cousins, live in the Milwaukee area. A major hobby of my parents is adopting and feeding people. The whole crew loves jokes and pranks. Seems like you'd fit right in!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3241548;
    Michigan's close enough -- my brother got his MFA at Michigan State. My mom and dad, as well as my sister, aunts, uncles, most of my cousins, live in the Milwaukee area. A major hobby of my parents is adopting and feeding people. The whole crew loves jokes and pranks. Seems like you'd fit right in!
    **groan** Not another "Moo 'U' " Grad. Mr. Red graduated from State. I, however, am a U of Michigan fan (which is much harder this year than it normally is...). Our wedding rings come off once a year during the football match-up. You wouldn't think that two people who swear at each other that much actually have a wonderful marriage.

Alright - the plan is then, the next time you fly in from the land of sun and fun, gimme a shout. The land of Mil-wau-kee (I now have Wayne's World stuck in my head...gah...) is only about an hour away. A mere pittance drive for friends, food and fun.

+ Reply to Thread