+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Traditions

Re: Holiday Traditions

Im getting real lazy, I guess...cause Im just using that tube kind of cookie dough this year for cookies. I may get creative and decorate them, but I don't like messing with all that homemade - dough -making anymore.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;2733072;
    Im getting real lazy, I guess...cause Im just using that tube kind of cookie dough this year for cookies. I may get creative and decorate them, but I don't like messing with all that homemade - dough -making anymore.
    We've been using the Pillsbury roll dough for sugar cookies for years. I figure it's just as good as a homemade sugar cookie and easier. Cutting out and decorating is enough work.

I do like making other cookies from scratch, but the sugar ones always come from a tube. And everyone eats them, so they must not notice a difference.

Merry Christmas Angelic One. Hope your cookies are wonderful and your holiday too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2732095;
    My favorite chocolate orange was the peppermint one and I haven't seen them for 2 years now. Have they stopped making those? Has anyone seen them?
    I saw some this weekend at the bulk candy store at the Mall. Bourbon Street Candy - I don't know if that is a national chain or not. They weren't Terry's brand however. They did have the Terry's chocolate oranges.
    ETA: At Sam's club there were Cheesecake Hershey's Kisses!

Santa would come on daily visits to my house. Even when I was in high school. I figured my mom was tired of writing "From Mom and Dad" on the tags. And I'd find gifts from Santa a week before Christmas under the tree.

And tonight my family is going to Candy Cane Lane! Yay!
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar

My family usually spends Christmas Eve with friends at one of our houses. When we come home, my sister and I get to open up one gift on Christmas Eve. The next morning, we wait until Dad gets home from work in the morning, and we open all the other presents. It's awesome.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2733114;
    We've been using the Pillsbury roll dough for sugar cookies for years. I figure it's just as good as a homemade sugar cookie and easier. Cutting out and decorating is enough work.

I do like making other cookies from scratch, but the sugar ones always come from a tube. And everyone eats them, so they must not notice a difference.

Merry Christmas Angelic One. Hope your cookies are wonderful and your holiday too.
    I'll have to remember the Pillsbury brand name, MRD. Thank you for the holiday wishes, and I hope you had a very Merry Christmas!

I'm a little late to the party on this one (again!), but I couldn't resist.

1. Egg nog or hot chocolate?
    Egg nog. And what a disaster this year-- not one but TWO glasses were spilled on the living room rug on Sunday night, and one on the kitchen floor yesterday.
    2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? He wraps them. And I cracked up reading the stories about kids who have questioned Mom and Dad using Santa's wrapping paper.
    3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Colored inside, white outside.
    4. Do you hang mistletoe? No
    5. When do you put your decorations up? Thanksgiving weekend, unless we are away
    6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Maybe beef tenderloin... but I also like our Christmas Eve dinners, most recently fondue.
    7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? The year we got the dog.. my sister and I were called back because we'd "forgotten to open a present," and when we ran upstairs, underneath the tree sat a little brown and white puppy with a red ribbon around her neck.
    8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? On the bus, in the same breath as I found out that the tooth fairy isn't real either.
    9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? For years I wanted to. But then I realized that I ultimately like Christmas Eve more, when we come home from church and relax around the tree with nothing under it, and all the anticipation of the next day.
    10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? We decorate with colored lights and the ornaments we've collected over the years.
    11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I went to school in Maine, so I'm sick to death of snow, although I'm coming around a little. Pretty when it falls, gets gross fast though.
    12. Can you ice skate? Back in the day, I took skating lessons. I haven't tried skating in a couple years, but I think I'd be a liability.
    13. Do you remember your favorite gift? Only because she was a part of our lives for so long... the dog.
    14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Family.
    15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? I like Charlotte Russe a lot, or chocolatey cookies.
    16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Christmas Eve-- last minute chaos (or this year, work) during the day, then getting ready and going to Church for the family service, then coming home and relaxing in front of the fire and the tree and eating dinner and spending time together for the rest of the night.
    17. What tops your tree? This year, the tree hits the ceiling, so I guess that?
    18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving? Giving, especially when I've found something that will surprise and delight the recipient
    19. What is your favorite Christmas song? I love the ones we sing at Church (The First Noel, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Joy to the World, Silent Night, etc). Also, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. And shamefully, N Sync's Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays has been stuck in my head for weeks.

Oh, and ever since I found the website, I'm a total sucker for NORAD's Santa Tracker. I had it running on my computer all day and religiously watched all the videos, even though I've seen them all and they never change.

FORT Fanatic

What a fantastic post Missyboxers . It was fun to read!!

Just got home from another holiday tradition.. playing cards with my grandparents. We play Chinese Rummy and High/Low Whist. Good times!

Favorite Holiday Tradition

I come from a very LARGE family on my fathers side. Every year, we have a Chritmas tree judging contest. (It used to be a Christmas tree judging contest - but the guy who made the trophy about 10 years ago was drunk at the time, and left the "s" out of "Christmas". Hey. I can't make this stuff up...).

We travel from house to house and judge each others trees. It's serious. There are ballots, a trophy (in a glass case) and serious bragging rights second only to the annual euchre tournament which usually ends in bloodshed.

Here are some of the ballot items: (they get a 0-10 rating, 10 being best)

Needle Retention - There was a great debate about artificial trees on this one. Before my grandfather died, he actually put IN HIS WILL (again...can't make this stuff up...) that artificial trees were to get a Zero. Thus ending the argument.

Sob Story - basically, why should you get to win this year. Usually goes to people who have had a baby, got married or spent the most time in jail.

Theme - The theme must be all pervasive. My aunt/uncle painted their living room in a winter scape one year to go with their theme. They lost - winning theme went to my aunt and cousins who hung all their furniture - including the tree - upside down from the cealing.

Food - We eat. A LOT.

Drink - We drink even more than we eat.

Hospitality - this is the only day of the year members of my family kiss one anothers butts. Do you need a kidney? Now is the time to hit uncle so-and-so up for it. Anything for bragging rights.

I think my favorite memory of this tradition is the year my father won. My aunt snuck into his house, and stole the trophy and then sent him a randsom note. At the next family party, my dad brought 20 milk cartons with a picture of the trophy on the side glued to the "missing kids" section and put them on each table.

And I wonder why I didn't turn out normal.

What's your favorite holiday tradition?
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything useful, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    F - is for Fire that burns down the whole town.
    U - is for Uranium...BOMBS!
    N - is for No survivors...
    - Plankton, Spongebob Squarepants (FUN Song)

+ Reply to Thread