+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Traditions

Re: Holiday Traditions

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2731507;
    Santa doesn't wrap gifts here.

He didn't when I was growing up, either. That's because my mom hates to wrap presents.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2731716;
    He didn't when I was growing up, either. That's because my mom hates to wrap presents.
    Well I dont either, so that's partly why.

When I was small, one year I got a couple big items that couldn't be wrapped. The next year, I got all small items and my mom and grandmother wrapped them all. I apparantly burst into tears when I saw that Santa had not come. They finally figured out that I had assumed since the last years gifts were not wrapped, that there were no unwrapped gifts and therefore, he had bypassed out house. So from then on, Santa didn't wrap.

We started that tradition with our daughter when she was born. But I think it was a relief to my mom and it is to me, that Santa does NOT warp!!!

ETA: I don't know, he may WARP getting to all those houses on Christmas Eve. But we help him save time at ours because he doesn't have to WRAP!

We still do stockings for all of us. But mine and hubby's is mostly candy and stuff from the Dollar Tree. He gets disposable razors and stuff like that and I get my favorite: A chocolate orange! And this year I requested ponytail holders.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Ooooh - I wish I had thought not to Santa-wrap when my kids were little. He not only wrapped with special paper (either sparkly or some special design) he also wrote the gift tags with an elaborate script that involved a lot of spiraling curlycues. That took forever. This is the first year that Santa is not specially wrapping gifts - what's under the tree now is it. They will get stockings. We do the chocolate orange plus whatever amazing little things I can dig up... funny pens (or for my pilot daughter - Zebra pens), jewelry, things from the quarter (50c. now) vending machines outside the grocery store, 50c pieces from the bank that I save up when I get them as change, travel size lotions, etc. I usually find good stuff at the hospital gift shop, but it's run by volunteers and hasn't been open when it's supposed to be the last two times I went. Grrrrr. Their parking lot is hard to get in and out of.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

I have been dropping very BIG hints about the chocolate orange. I have even said where I've seen them. Last night hubby told me to quit about the orange, he's got it under control.

I used to love the Dollar Tree for Stocking stuffers, but now my daughter is older, I can't find as much stuff for her stocking there. In fact, yesterday I was there and didn't buy her anything. But I got 2 pair of really funky looking reading glasses to put in my own stocking. But I did find stuff at Dollar General. My other favorite store.

My favorite chocolate orange was the peppermint one and I haven't seen them for 2 years now. Have they stopped making those? Has anyone seen them?
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2732095;
    My favorite chocolate orange was the peppermint one and I haven't seen them for 2 years now. Have they stopped making those? Has anyone seen them?
    I tried all the variations and I like the chocolate orange flavor best. I have not seen any of the flavor variations this year.

But I did see that Hersey's has a mint truffle kiss out this year.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2732193;
    I tried all the variations and I like the chocolate orange flavor best. I have not seen any of the flavor variations this year.

But I did see that Hersey's has a mint truffle kiss out this year.
    I just bought some of those to go in the cookie kisses I'm making...they also had cherry cordial and hot cocoa...I bought those too!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2732468;
    I just bought some of those to go in the cookie kisses I'm making...they also had cherry cordial and hot cocoa...I bought those too!

I tried some of last years new ones and didn't like them, so was afraid to buy any this year. If it didn't mean another trip to the store, I'd go back. But really, we have enough candy and cookies, I don't need them. (but I WANT them now. )

I don't know if this has solidified into a tradition yet, but my ex-wife has baked Christmas cookies for me the last three years. These are not just any Christmas cookies, mind you, but THE BEST ON EARTH, made with my grandmother's recipe I've said it before and I'll say it again--choose your exes carefully!

MRD

Lucky guy. (with cookies!)

+ Reply to Thread