+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Traditions

MRD

Re: Holiday Traditions

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2731122;
    One year hubby got me A gift and told the kids not to worry about it because they were both students. well, I spent the day crying. it wasn't a bad present, but I LIKE TO OPEN GIFTS.
    I made it known, and now it doesn't matter if it is a small packet with postit notes, a coloring book, or crayons (yes, I am 52 years old, but I find it relaxing to color in coloring books) - i just like opening packages.
    Ilove wrapping presents and overkill under the tree, but I love the opening too - watching everyone open theirs - but it just got me when there was only one
    one of the few things I have managed to do this year is the wrapping - I get my foot up high on the ottoman and wrap presents. I just volunteered to wrap my sons presents, which he has been having shipped here.
    I like to color too.

And I like to open gifts. I will wrap everything individually, even though I hate wrapping, so it looks like there is more stuff under the tree. This year, I bought my daughter a hat,scarf and gloves set, but I plan to wrap all 3 separatly among the other things she is getting.

I love to give people gifts and watch them open them, but I like the getting part too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2731122;
    i just like opening packages.
    Ilove wrapping presents and overkill under the tree, but I love the opening too - watching everyone open theirs - but it just got me when there was only one
    Me too. Doesn't have to be fancy, just needs to have a little thought behind it. The big ticket item for Mr. Rattus this year is a pair of sheepskin mitts (oooh, $35) because his hands get cold cycling in the winter. The other things are just little odds and ends - a tube of nice smelling shaving soap, a bottle of craft beer because it comes with a t-shirt, some chocolate mints that come from his favourite chocolate place back home, and the book of a movie he really liked. Nothing big, but all kind of special to him. Okay, I'll admit that the shaving soap is kind of more for me . It's patchouli scented and I'm one of the few people on the planet who actually loves that smell. Fortunately Mr. Rattus likes it too.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

the funnest gift for me to wrap this year was for my son.
    a couple of his expensive gifts are chemistry books - but that is more like school books.
    but he wanted a wood desk 'organizer' - you know the kind that holds pens/ notepads, paperclips, etc.
    I actually got a 3 piece set (wrapped separately) with little drawers in each one. I had a blast putting stuff in the little drawers and various slots. post-its, paperclips, pens, envelopes, postage stamps, etc. guess that just feeds into my office supply addiction.

we will do one gift christmas eve (and I will whine the most until we get another one). I put up stockings, but never have anything to put in them.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2731188;
    Me too. Doesn't have to be fancy, just needs to have a little thought behind it. The big ticket item for Mr. Rattus this year is a pair of sheepskin mitts (oooh, $35) because his hands get cold cycling in the winter. The other things are just little odds and ends - a tube of nice smelling shaving soap, a bottle of craft beer because it comes with a t-shirt, some chocolate mints that come from his favourite chocolate place back home, and the book of a movie he really liked. Nothing big, but all kind of special to him. Okay, I'll admit that the shaving soap is kind of more for me . It's patchouli scented and I'm one of the few people on the planet who actually loves that smell. Fortunately Mr. Rattus likes it too.
    I like patchouli. I used to drive my mother nuts burning patchouli incense. I could hear her sneezing across the house.

Those sound like nice thoughtful gifts. I don't think you have to spend much for it to be nice. Hubby is getting the overalls and the airborne stuff and the underwear and books. I am going to get him some candy for his stocking too.
    I know he needs the work clothes and underwear, but he'll like getting the other stuff, especially the books my daughter bought.

We always put the gifts under the tree after the kids were asleep on Christmas Eve. I like to wrap the gifts too but don't go overboard. Just wrap them and put a gift tag on them. We did away with bows and ribbons years ago, I guess.

Anyway, when the kids were little, I always wrote on the gift tags that the gifts were from Santa, never Mom and Dad. One year, after opening a multitude of gifts - all from Santa - my son innocently said, "How come you and Dad didn't get us anything for Christmas?" Now I will still write Santa on the gift tag of at least one gift, usually the most expensive or the most desired one, and then write from Mom and Dad on others.

I also like how now that my kids are older, they buy their own gifts for us and their siblings. I am often very impressed with how much thought they have put into selecting just the right gift for each other.

And yeah, hubby always knows that he is getting new undies and socks for Christmas. Those two are givens along with the chocolate-covered cherries he loves.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2731451;

Anyway, when the kids were little, I always wrote on the gift tags that the gifts were from Santa, never Mom and Dad. One year, after opening a multitude of gifts - all from Santa - my son innocently said, "How come you and Dad didn't get us anything for Christmas?" Now I will still write Santa on the gift tag of at least one gift, usually the most expensive or the most desired one, and then write from Mom and Dad on others.
    My kids are now 15 and 18 and they still get gifts from Mom and gifts from Santa. When they were little I used to be so diligent on wrapping the gifts from me in completely different paper than the gifts from Santa. Well one Christmas when my son was about 8, I got a little lazy and his Mom gifts were wrapped in the same paper as his Santa gifts. Wouldn't you know that was the very first thing he noticed. Him: "Hey, why are Santa's gifts wrapped just like the one's from you Mom?" Me:"Well I guess Santa knows a good Walmart deal when he sees one" We've rehashed this story every Christmas morning since

I could care less about the gift exchange in my family anymore. All adults pull one name and get a $50 or less gift. We get them at Mom's, but since everyone comes and goes at different times, there's not a time when we all sit together and open them. And the kids have all had their gifts at their parent's houses. So, it comes down to sitting there opening your one gift, usually alone except for whoever got your name. Me no like. I'd prefer to just give everyone a $10 or less gift, the sillier the better, and let's all sit together at a certain time to open and look at them.
    Oh well, the pig out feast is still together time!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Santa doesn't wrap gifts here.

I am 30 years old, and to this day I still get gifts from Santa. I actually love it and so does my sister who is 31. We still put all our gifts out on Christmas eve but it should be getting a little different know that my nieces are getting a little older and will start understanding Santa.

We have a tradition in our house that we used to do more when my sister and I were little but it still pops up occasionally. My mom always has had an ornament of a cardinal on a nest that clips in the tree. When we were little "Santa" would leave us notes that usually led to a big scavenger hunt around the house and ended up being the gift my sister and I both really wanted. I remember one Christmas morning being a bit sad because I didn't get the leather coat I wanted and the nest had a note in it. My sister and I both ended up with leather coats. To this day, there are occasional notes in the nest from Santa.
    Last edited by Yardgnome; 12-22-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Growing up our traditions were, putting the tree up the day after Thanksgiving, opening one wrapped gift on Christmas Eve, and all the wrapped presents came from mom and dad and santa brought the unwrapped presents in the stocking. Usually socks, underwear, extra jumbo pencil, crayons, coloring books, and other dollar store toys. My dad grew up where everything came from Santa on Christmas Eve. My mom said she'd be embaressed when my grandparents, her inlaws, would ask us what Santa brought and we'd only tell them what came in the stocking and not what our parents gave us that was wrapped under the tree.

The stocking was always the funnest to go through. As we got older it just got better, perfume, makeup, jewelry. I haven't received a stocking in years. Its one thing I really wish my husband would do for me at Christmas.

+ Reply to Thread