+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Traditions

MRD

Re: Holiday Traditions

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2730887;
    We are heading to new traditions this year...We will be staying home and I will be making spaghetti w/meatballs for Christmas dinner. Hopefully we will also decide on garlic bread. I was going to make lasagne, but was outvoted.
    So far the only food decided on here was green beans we saw Paula Deen make. As they were on her show, you know they aren't healthy.

They were green bean bundles tied with a strip of bacon and then its put in the oven and roasted. My husband thinks bacon is the candy bar of meats, so he's happy. We may not have to have anything else.

We don't really have the same dinner every year, so not quite sure what we'll have, but need to figure it out soon since I found out Christmas is a day earlier than I thought.

Go ahead and do the garlic bread. It's Christmas!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by famita;2730887;
    We are heading to new traditions this year...We will be staying home and I will be making spaghetti w/meatballs for Christmas dinner. Hopefully we will also decide on garlic bread. I was going to make lasagne, but was outvoted.
    I'm totally on board with having whatever you feel like for special occasion dinners, so go ahead, make the garlic bread. As I've posted before, we have nachos for every special occasion/holiday dinner with no signs of stopping any time soon.

With respect to Christmas gifts, I grew up in a gifts-under-the-tree-weeks-before-Xmas kind of family, while Mr. Rattus grew up in a sneak-them-under-the-tree-on-Xmas Eve kind of family. So what we now have is gifts for Mr. Rattus under the two-footer for a couple of weeks before Xmas, but no gifts for me. It makes me feel horribly greedy, but I always feel a little sad that there are piles of stuff wait for him to open (total combined value - $65.00), but nothing for me. But there's no changing either of us now so I've reconciled myself to feeling vaguely depressed at Xmas for the rest of my life.

Okay, the vague depression thing was going to happen anyway.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2730992;
    It makes me feel horribly greedy, but I always feel a little sad that there are piles of stuff wait for him to open (total combined value - $65.00), but nothing for me. But there's no changing either of us now so I've reconciled myself to feeling vaguely depressed at Xmas for the rest of my life.
    Here you go Rattus. Merry Cyber Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2730999;
    Here you go Rattus. Merry Cyber Christmas.

Hee hee heeeeee!!! Lots and lots of stuff for meeeeee!!! Thank you so much, Unk. I am so looking forward to virtually unwrapping all of them four days from now. Hee hee heeeee!!!
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Rattus,

I used to wonder how anyone could feel depressed at Christmas and I used to wonder why my mother complained so much about the work involved at Christmas. Then I became an adult! Now I know.

We used to put gifts under the tree as they were bought and wrapped. But then when Bogie was a puppy, he chewed so much we worried he would tear into the gifts, so I wrapped them and put them back in the closet and we put them out on Christmas eve. Rosie placed herself in front of the tree and guarded it from him all that evening. But we just have held off putting the gifts out ever since until Christmas Eve. So its kind of a tradition now.
    Since I have wrapped nothing. It doesn't matter right now.

Enjoy the shower of virtual gifts.

Premium Member

My son will be home from college, and my oldest son and DIL will be coming over Christmas evening. We will be spending the evening opening gifts and then watching a movie or two while we munch on hot wings and other assorted treats.

oooooh! wings.... I have not had those in a while....
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

My parents always hosted a holiday party and I carried on that tradition. But sadly not this year.

So since Unk is giving virtual gifts, I decided to host a virtual Holiday party and invite you all.

Wings for Gabriel, Cheese straws, cake, cookies, deli platter and of course, cocktails for everyone!!!!

Dress: casual or even your pj's

Time: whenever

Bring: your pets

Happy Holidays Everyone! Enjoy!

One year hubby got me A gift and told the kids not to worry about it because they were both students. well, I spent the day crying. it wasn't a bad present, but I LIKE TO OPEN GIFTS.
    I made it known, and now it doesn't matter if it is a small packet with postit notes, a coloring book, or crayons (yes, I am 52 years old, but I find it relaxing to color in coloring books) - i just like opening packages.
    Ilove wrapping presents and overkill under the tree, but I love the opening too - watching everyone open theirs - but it just got me when there was only one
    one of the few things I have managed to do this year is the wrapping - I get my foot up high on the ottoman and wrap presents. I just volunteered to wrap my sons presents, which he has been having shipped here.

Well usually Hubby and I work on Christmas, but this year we're going to my in laws house for X-mas.

+ Reply to Thread