+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Traditions

I use rice, black-eyed peas, and some green veggie (green is supposed to signify the wealth). Some people use collards but they are too strong tasting for me. I usually use cabbage or green beans. Maybe I need to use the collards anyway!

FYI - I googled the origins: http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/HoppinJohn.htm
    (I'll post the recipe from this site in the recipes thread)

Eat poor that day, eat rich the rest of the year.
    Rice for riches and peas for peace.
    - Southern saying on eating a dish of Hoppin' John on New Year's Day.

Hoppin' John History

Hoppin' John is found in most states of the South, but it is mainly associated with the Carolinas. Gullah or Low Country cuisine reflects the cooking of the Carolinas, especially the Sea islands (a cluster of islands stretching along the coats of south Carolina and northern Georgia). Black-eyed peas, also called cow peas, are thought to have been introduced to America by African slaves who worked the rice plantations. Hoppin' John is a rich bean dish made of black-eyed peas simmered with spicy sausages, ham hocks, or fat pork, rice, and tomato sauce.

This African-American dish is traditionally a high point of New Year's Day, when a shiny dime is often buried among the black-eyed peas before serving. whoever get the coin in his or her portion is assured good luck throughout the year. For maximum good luck in the new year, the first thing that should be eaten on New year's Day is Hoppin' John. At the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve, many southern families toast each other with Champagne and a bowl of Hoppin' John. If it is served with collard greens you might, or might not, get rich during the coming year.

There are many variations to traditional Hoppin' John. Some cook the peas and rice in one pot, while others insist on simmering them separately.

Most food historians generally agree that "Hopping John" is an American dish with African/French/Caribbean roots. There are many tales or legends that explain how Hoppin' John got its name:

It was the custom for children to gather in the dining room as the dish was brought forth and h op around the table before sitting down to eat.

A man named John came "a-hoppin" when his wife took the dish from the stove.

An obscure South Carolina custom was inviting a guest to eat by saying, "Hop in, John"

The dish goes back at least as far as 1841, when, according to tradition, it was hawked in the streets of Charleston, South Carolina by a crippled black man who was know as Hoppin' John.

Some say that the dish got its name from a corruption of the word, bahatta-kachang, which is of African origin.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2190509;
    I have a friend that told me years ago that it was a tradition in her house on New year's Day that whatever you did that day, you'd be doing all year.
    My dad lived by this device as well, every New Year's day he'd try to come up with as many ways to bug us as possible so he could keep doing it all year long. But I also try to not do the boring things, usually I'm all partied out anyways, so the boring things is not the first thing on my mind . Tommorow I will have to do some cleaning and dishes thoguh, since we're having people over tonight

Re: Holiday Traditions

Seems I was the last one posting last year, but this thread was really nice last year so I was wondering if anyone has any new Christmas traditions to share.

As for me, it's the first year I will be spending all of Christmas with Mr. Fatale, and I'm really looking forward to it. For Christmas Eve we'll be going to my parents' for the entire day; starting with the cemetary, then dinner, gifts and enjoying being with family. On Christmas Day weäll drive up to the in-laws, both of Mr Fatale's sisters will be there as well as their boyfriends so it'll be the celebration with that part of the family. For next year we'll swap. Maybe later in the future we can start some traditions of our own as well, bringing people over to our hopefully future house and such. I would really want to change things up a bit, as long as the core of Christmas is still there, which is why I'm so excited to start spending the holidays with Mr Fatale so we can create traditions that are just ours.

The subject of Christmas traditions has been a bit difficult between me and the boy (we've been together for 4 years). His family lives far far away and he has no desire to see them at Christmas, so Christmas has been at the farm with my family since we've been together. Christmas brunch has always been our family tradition (usually 17-20 close relatives) that started at my grandma's house and moved to my mom's house when grandma passed away. Last year, the SO asked if we could have the family to our place for Christmas brunch. We live 1.5 hours from most of the people that usually attend and live in a small townhouse, so I didn't see the point. Only after some useless bickering did I realize he just wanted to have a tradition of his own. Instead of changing our long standing tradition, we worked out a new one--we drive to the farm the week before Christmas (we're going tomorrow) to buy a real tree and set it up at my mom's. We always had a fake tree...but the boy grew up with and loves a real one--so his tradition will be to put up a real tree that we can all enjoy at the farm. I'm glad we sorted it out (with minimal fighting) and I'm really looking forward to my first real Christmas tree!!

BTW, Femme, your plan for the holidays sounds marvelous! Enjoy!
    Don't let the small things sweat

MRD

Spoose, sounds like things worked out great.

I need some new traditions. Since moving and the loss of so many family members over the past few years, our family traditions have kind of fallen away. Been trying to think of some things we can do to make it special again.

I'm mostly talking about Christmas eve and Christmas day as its just the 3 of us now. And the doggies.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My Christmas tradition is a couple of quiet days at home. There are some years when I'll buy myself a present when I get inspired (my favorite was the year that I splurged and got myself some raspberries ; another year, I got myself an English-Italian dictionary. That kind of backfired. The first half was easy to read, but it was like the second half was in a foreign language or something ) I haven't been inspired this year, so I'll get a couple of treats for Gustav at PetSmart and call it good.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2727047;
    My Christmas tradition is a couple of quiet days at home. There are some years when I'll buy myself a present when I get inspired (my favorite was the year that I splurged and got myself some raspberries ; another year, I got myself an English-Italian dictionary. That kind of backfired. The first half was easy to read, but it was like the second half was in a foreign language or something ) I haven't been inspired this year, so I'll get a couple of treats for Gustav at PetSmart and call it good.
    about the dictionary.

I was trying to translate something into Russian and the online stuff translates it to the Cyrillic alphabet. I needed it translated to the Latin alphabet so I could still read it!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2727047;
    Raspberries eh? I bought myself some peaches one year and grapefruit another.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Oh I love tradition and holidays.
    Our tradition always starts with the shopping, with mom being done way before the Christmas rush and my brother and I still searching for the last few things the days before.
    On Christmas Eve we usually do normal things during the day, have supper, then get ready for Christmas mass (at 7:30). We go with the entire family (my mom, brother, grandparents and at least one set of aunts/uncles and cousins). After mass we go to my grandparents for a few hours for snacks and munchies. Usually around 12 we're getting home for bed for Santa to come!
    Christmas day is usually quite busy. We're up around 7:30. We check out our stockings and Santa gifts, then we're off to my Aunt/Uncle/Cousins to watch them open their gifts and Santa stuff and we have brunch there. Then we're home to open our family gifts. We chill out for a while then we're getting ready for supper at our Grandparents' house. We go there for supper and then usually play cards till 1.

It's busy, it's fun, it's family and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Well, we don't have very many traditions we do anymore, but I'll tell you some we had growing up. Christmas was a two day deal with my family. First would be supper/dinner at my dad's mom's house on Christmas Ever, where we would have an early dinner (about 1 am), open presents, and then go to my grandma's chruch for the christmas ever service. My family would then go home and open ONE gift. This would always be a new pair of pajamas. We'd put them on, and drive around Seattle looking at christmas lights. We'd of course go to Candy Cane Lane, and then we would have dinner at the best pizza place EVER: Pizza and Pipes. An awesome place that no longer is there, but had a dance floor with a giant organ that blew bubbles out of the pipes. We would then go home and sleep. So, on Christmas propper, my brother would wake us all up at around 5 am, and we would bug our parents untill they would let us open our gifts. So first we emptied the stockings, then the gifts. By this time... it was about 7:30 am... so we all took naps untill 10. Then we would go to the Woodland Park Zoo, and look at the animals. It was great because we basically had the whole zoo to ourselves. We would then go to my grandma's (mom's mom) for christmas dinner.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

+ Reply to Thread