+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 107 FirstFirst ... 13535455565758596061626364656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Cutest things you've heard your kids say

Re: Cutest things you've heard your kids say

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3236367;
    That's one of the reasons that I encourage my husband to shop at Menards. They actually have a pretty wide variety of items, and I have something to do while he's wandering along, gazing longingly at tools.
    I wouldn't shop at Menards for anything. According to articles I've read he treats his employees like crap.
    Milwaukee Magazine : Feature Story : Big Money
    Managers are prohibited from building a home, even if they purchase the construction materials elsewhere. It’s a measure to prevent employee theft, John Menard once told the media. The penalty is termination.

Even minor building projects concerned him. On numerous occasions, former managers say, Menard hired private investigators to take photos when an employee added a deck or addition, then had internal examiners cross-reference the materials in the photos with items the employee had purchased, looking for products that had been stolen.

The most infamous casualty of this policy was Eldon Helget, a lumber yard manager for Menards’ Burnsville, Minn., store. Helget’s daughter was confined to a wheelchair and the narrow hallways in the Helget home made it difficult to get around. She was getting too big for her mother Linda to carry her up the stairs, and because the bathroom couldn’t accommodate her wheelchair, the girl had no privacy. When the Helgets could find no home that met their needs, they decided to build from scratch.

But Helget’s boss, Larry Menard, said there were no exceptions to the company rule. Helget, who had a stellar 13-year record with the company, could resign his post and take a lower-level job, Larry said. That meant a $15,000 cut in his $40,000 salary, but Helget still agreed.

The Helgets hired a contractor to build a ramp-equipped home, using building materials from another company. When John Menard heard about the deal, he fired Helget. The company notified Helget that if he ever showed up on its property again, he’d be arrested for trespassing.

“John would say, ‘Why make a rule if you’re not going to enforce it?’” Archibald recalls, adding “sometimes, you have to cut throats. That’s how business works.”

Helget’s story found its way into the Minneapolis Star Tribune.A columnist called Menards’ policy, “something exhumed from the Bronze Age with all its primitive logic intact.” The story continued a second day when a local lumberyard offered Helget a job. The Helgets were elated – until they discovered Eldon’s contract with Menards barred him from working for a competitor for a year.

This rule came from Menard’s concern that his trade secrets might be revealed. Indeed, he refused to hire former Home Depot or Lowe’s employees for fear the person might be a spy.

Linda Helget phoned Menard to plead with him to relent. “He said we could find a house in another town, but all our friends and family are here. He thought he was a real stud muffin the way he talked and I said ‘who are you to tell us where to live?’ I told him ‘someday I hope a train runs you over and cuts your legs off.’’

TheNational Enquirertrumpeted the story to the rest of the country. The Helgets filed a wrongful firing claim against Menards; their attorney Edwin Sissam took the Menard brothers’ depositions. Sissam had expected John Menard to be a sophisticated businessman in a wool suit. Instead, he got “a cowboy in jeans with his shirt partially unbuttoned and a chain around his neck,” he says.

“It was clear Mr. Menard is very, very secure in himself. His body language, his mannerisms, answering questions when he wasn’t asked; not answering them when he was,” Sissam says. “Most companies with an employee with a disabled daughter would want to be behind the family … But John Menard had this attitude, ‘Who the hell is telling me how to run my company?”

The Helgets took Menards’ second settlement offer, “somewhere between $1 and $50,000,” says a source close to the case, which was settled in 1992.
    There are numerous other examples in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3236735;
    I wouldn't shop at Menards for anything. According to articles I've read he treats his employees like crap.
    Milwaukee Magazine : Feature Story : Big Money

There are numerous other examples in the article.
    Wow. That sure makes me change my mind about Menards. I guess I'm going to have to learn to like Home Depot. Maybe Lowes. I am a Jimmie Johnson fan.

Thanks for the info Unk. People like that don't deserve anyone's business.

MRD

That man is just awful. They don't deserve to be in business.

Well I believe in Karma and he'll get his one day.

I'm surprised he hasn't been sued more often.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3236644;
    I have to admit I'm in the minority here when it comes to Home Depot. My dad was a carpenter when I was a kid, so I was raised with a strong DIY attitude. I loooove going to Home Depot. Even the smell of the store as I walk thru the entrance puts me in a good mood!!
    Your not the only one! I can get totally fascinated going down an aisle like the electrical or plumbing aisle to see just how many different varieties of the same thing there can be. Earlier this year, I had to go in to buy a cap for a gas line in my house. Oh, did my eyes light up when I discovered how many different caps there are. I have no idea why, but I find that stuff fascinating.

I'm with you Veruka
    I am like a kid in a candy store when I go into Home Depot, or Lowes.

Anyway, to get this back on topic: My mother gave my son his first Mallomar the other day.
    The look of pure bliss on his face was adorable. Then in a homer simpson way he said
    "mmmmm... Mallowy mars is the best cookie I ever tasted" Before returning back to his dreamy post-cookie glow
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I took Zac ot the movies today to see Madagascar 2. After the movie we went to Game Stop to window shop. When i told Zac we were going there he said "I feel like I'm in heaven when I go to Game Stop." He doesn't know that I ordered him a Wii for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3238079;
    I took Zac ot the movies today to see Madagascar 2. After the movie we went to Game Stop to window shop. When i told Zac we were going there he said "I feel like I'm in heaven when I go to Game Stop." He doesn't know that I ordered him a Wii for Christmas.
    Zac seems like such a sweet kid. I see why you are so proud of him. I'm praying that his treatment goes quickly and well. You guys will have so much fun playing with his Wii together.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd;3237288;
    "mmmmm... Mallowy mars is the best cookie I ever tasted" Before returning back to his dreamy post-cookie glow
    I missed this yesterday. That is too cute. Kids are amazing.
    Nice av, BTW.

My 4 year old came home from school today & told me that some firefighters came to her classroom to demonstrate fire saving techniques. I asked her "What did you learn?" & she told me she learned how to "Stop, Rock and Roll"

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3238909;
    I missed this yesterday. That is too cute. Kids are amazing.
    Nice av, BTW.
    Why thank you
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

+ Reply to Thread