+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 107 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Cutest things you've heard your kids say

Re: Cutest things you've heard your kids say

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2593679;
    I completely agree with you about the "Miss". I just think that sounds horrible, and I detest it! I teach the young kids at my church, and that's what they call all the teachers - "Miss whoever". Yuck! What's wrong with calling a person by their name - "Mrs. Smith" or "Mr. Jones". I don't understand why everything has to be shortened.
    Weelllllll.... to play devil's advocate here, it helps when you have a kid whose last name is different from yours. And that happens a lot now-a-days. Sometimes my daughter's friends call me by Ms. daughter's-last-name and she gets huffy so I just tell them all to call me Ms. first name. It's just easier.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

After my divorce, I was one of those "progressive" people who asked my kids' friends to call me by my first name. I wasn't a "Mrs" and I wasn't a "Miss" and I didn't like "Ms". Soon, a lot of them were calling me "Mom 2". My mother was called "Grammy A" by my kids. A few years later my sister's kids couldn't say that so they called her "Mimi". She expected my kids to call her "Mimi" and has never understood why they didn't. The other set of grandparents was "Pap" and "Gramma". Maybe I'll be "Grammy Fammy" if I ever have the grandchildren.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I totally hate it when children/teens call me by my first name, like we are on the same level; that is an earned priviledge, in my book. I've heard my son whispering to them to call her "Miss Shay or Miss Jones!" He's saved quite a few lives and episodes of embarassment with that advice!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2593733;
    Weelllllll.... to play devil's advocate here, it helps when you have a kid whose last name is different from yours. And that happens a lot now-a-days. Sometimes my daughter's friends call me by Ms. daughter's-last-name and she gets huffy so I just tell them all to call me Ms. first name. It's just easier.
    That's true. I didn't think of that. It would be easier to use "Miss whatever" in that case to save everyone from embarassment.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

For that exact reason, I kept my married name after I divorced to keep my son from having to explain why we had 2 different last names. I really didn't want to keep the married name.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Same here prhoshay. I might have gone back to my maiden name but there was someone with that name on the police log regularly and I didn't want to be confused with her. One time I had a bad seed student call me by my first name on the street to show off to a gang of kids and it was really offensive to me. Having said all that, I miss having hardly anyone call me by my first name anymore.
    Count your blessings!

I'm fascinated by this name - talk! I grew up addressing neighbors and friends of my parents as "Mr. & Mrs." My friends' parents were always addressed as Mr or Mrs unless they asked me to call them by their first name, which they usually did. I don't see the problem with "Miss". My mother's name is Kay and we all (including her grandchildren) call her Miss Kay. I still call her Mommy every once in awhile, but usually it is Miss Kay!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

A couple of my daughter's friends call me mom as well and I think its sweet as I think of them as my "other" kids. My daughter's boyfriend doesn't call me anything which I find funny. I think he's still kind of new and shy about it all.
    I don't mind some kids calling me by my first name if I tell them its ok. But as a Girl Scout leader, sunday school teacher, etc., I was called: Mrs. Lastname.
    I just think that sounds more respectful.

I think the reason I have such a dislike for the "miss" thing is that in the time and place that I grew up, my dad had a janitor in his business that was an older African-American gentleman and from the time I was a kid, he always called me: "Miss firstname". I used to feel really funny about that because this man was probably 40-50 years OLDER than me. I used to ask him repeatedly not to call me that and finally my dad had to tell me (quit saying that to him. He finds it offensive and will NOT call you just by your name because of the way HE was raised). But to this day, it makes me uncomfortable because of that. And the curious thing is, that my parensts never insisted that I call him Mr. Martin, I always used his first name.
    Growing up in the South, you have really odd customs and some really odd ways of addressing people. I worked closely with another business in town that was run by a man who EVERYONE called Brother. I also knew a Sister and countless Bubbas. All grown people. All with given names, but who were never called by them.

The other thing I hate is that my doctor's office and all the people that work in it including the dr. call me Mrs. even though I've asked them to call my by my first name. But to me, that is something I consider very professional even though I've asked them to use my first name. And I address people by their last names unless specifically asked to call them by their first. Especially people that are much older than I am.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I wouldn't mind the 'miss' thing so much.. if my name wasn't Karry.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2596483;
    I wouldn't mind the 'miss' thing so much.. if my name wasn't Karry.
    OMG! please put a soft drink spit out warning at the beginning of your post!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread