+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 107 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647484950515253545595 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Cutest things you've heard your kids say

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Cutest things you've heard your kids say

All of the kids in my family called our grandfather, "Pampaw" (WTH??), but I always called him "Grandpaw". I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but I was his favorite, beyond the shadow of a doubt! Never did/still don't understand that Pampaw thing.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2592813;
    All of the kids in my family called our grandfather, "Pampaw" (WTH??), but I always called him "Grandpaw". I don't know if it had anything to do with it, but I was his favorite, beyond the shadow of a doubt! Never did/still don't understand that Pampaw thing.
    My dad wanted to be called Papa and so when my daughter was born, that is how we referred to him, but she managed to come up with her own names for him and my mother who we referred to as Grandma. My daughter was about 2-3 and we realized she was calling them Gammus and Papoo. They LOVED their names, basically because SHE named them.

My brother is called what I think is ridiculous: Grand poobah. All I can see is the Flintsone's when Fred and Barney are at the lodge. But that is what he wanted to be called.

There was a show on Disney when my daughter was small that was a modern day Alice in Wonderland and the Queen of Hearts was always called : "your majesty". Well my daughter started calling me that and I actually kind of liked it. Was kind of disappointed when it stopped because all my delusions of royalty disappeared. Although I admit that we got some strange looks out in public when she called me that.

When my daughter was about 8 she started calling us "parents" when she would talk to us collectively. She calls us mom or dad, but instead of saying: "Mom and dad, I need new shoes or I finished my chores" it has always been "Parents, I need new shoes or Parents, I'm through with my chores now". Since we have friends whose last name is Parent, they think this is hysterically funny.
    Last edited by MRD; 09-30-2007 at 04:29 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It's not cute at all, but it fits in with the topic: my almost 3yo calls my MIL by her first name. He calls my mom nonna (grandmother in italian), so I have no clue why he does it, but she thinks it's funny. Both hubby and I don't, and we've corrected him plenty of times. We've also told her not to answer him until he calls her nonna, but she doesn't mind. I just find it so incredibly rude, even coming out of the mouth of a 3yo, but as long as she laughs at him, I have no authority.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Similar vein...I have a friend with about 10 siblings, and they all called their father by his first name, Walter, (I assume at Walter's request). They all call their mother, Mama, like most. I think the all grandchildren called Walter "Granddaddy"), though. I was shocked when she first told me that.

Geez...I called my mother by her first name once, and flames were shooting out of her eyes!! I only did that, thereafter, when I was across the room (out of "popping" distance) and wanted to yank her chain!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

When my ex was pregnant, she was in a tizzy as to what her kids should call me--something about her husband's brother having the same name as me. I suggested "Uncle Newf" but then she was concerned about "Uncle" implying family ties . I reminded her that there is nothing too unusual about family friends carrying that honorific. Now that they are five, they mostly call me Newf, but they know that isn't my real name.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2593047;
    Similar vein...I have a friend with about 10 siblings, and they all called their father by his first name, Walter, (I assume at Walter's request). They all call their mother, Mama, like most. I think the all grandchildren called Walter "Granddaddy"), though. I was shocked when she first told me that.

Geez...I called my mother by her first name once, and flames were shooting out of her eyes!! I only did that, thereafter, when I was across the room (out of "popping" distance) and wanted to yank her chain!
    Our younger son has always called his dad by his name. Not Dad, daddy or anything but his real name. Now the grandson calls his own dad by his first name, too. We don't know why, but that's the way it is. We never made a big deal out of it.

Up until I was about 5, we lived several hundred miles away from my grandparents. My maternal grandmother would call every Sunday night at the same time and Mom would always let me "talk" to her on the phone. She'd say "Hi, Honey" and I'd reply "Hi, Honey" and so I ended up calling her Honey. She seemed to prefer that to her real name and always joked that I named her. Years later, my parents, brother, everyone else in the family and even most of her friends were calling her Honey.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2593057;
    I suggested "Uncle Newf" but then she was concerned about "Uncle" implying family ties .
    All of my friends kids call me Unckle Scott. Even the neighborhood kids have called me that. Plus I have 19 nieces and nephews and too many great nieces and great nephews to even count right now. That's why I chose this screen name.

MRD

I called my grandmother by her first name. It started out with "mama" in front of her first name, but got dropped as EVERYONE called my grandmother by her first name. I never thought anything of it and neither did anyone else. I called my other grandmother "mom" because that is what my dad called her.
    I named my daughter after the grandmother I called by her first name and we reinstated the "mama" part in front of my grandmothers name for my daughter.

I had many aunts and uncles growing up that were not kin, but close friends of my parents and our daughter does the same. I'd rather be called "aunt" so and so than "Miss" so and so. I absolutely HATE the "miss" so and so. Makes me feel ancient. Either call me Mrs. Lastname or Aunt, but not miss and my first name.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I completely agree with you about the "Miss". I just think that sounds horrible, and I detest it! I teach the young kids at my church, and that's what they call all the teachers - "Miss whoever". Yuck! What's wrong with calling a person by their name - "Mrs. Smith" or "Mr. Jones". I don't understand why everything has to be shortened.

+ Reply to Thread