+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rules

Rules

Hey I'm pretty new and was just wondering what everyone thought about why rules are needed in a forum. Why can't we moderate ourselves? Have there been issues in the past? Is it just because there are so many people?

The FORT rules provide us with some measure of civility in the sea of anarchy that is the norm of the internet.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I Is Stephanie
    Well put Newfherder!

I also want to add that rules (for the most part) keep people safe, not just physically, but very much emotionally.

And as to why we can't moderate ourselves, everyone would have a differnt view of what's right and wrong in an increasingly hostile world, and there wouldn't be any sense of who had done what wrong when and why (if that makes ANY sense to you).

Besides, I think our moderators do an AMAZING job of keeping the peace!
    ...And the strange boy continued to weave in and out of her life, leaving her with a sense of wonder and amazment, but also, a feeling of loss, knowing that life might never be the same again.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    If everyone knows the rules and boundaries, then everyone can have more fun playing the game.

The mods here are fair and do a GREAT job.

I think a visit to some of the less-moderated sites on the internet would answer your questions best. Personally, I have very little tolerance for idiots, and if people can come here and, for these few minutes at least, not act like them, I feel like we've accomplished something.

There are many forums you could go to if you don't feel the need for rules, but since we all agree to the ones here, you'll find this is a very friendly, supportive group. I don't go anywhere else! And since it can never be said enough... THANK YOU JOHN!
    Count your blessings!

I blame my bad lingo problems on taking a stroll through less moderated sites.
    I never had that problem before
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I've been to less moderated sites and honestly I have trouble reading things. I think this has got to be the best moderated site on the web. A big thanks to JOHN for starting this place and to all the moderators, writers, forum assistants for making this a really great place. You should all take a bow!

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar
    I personally love the well-moderated FoRT! Before coming here, I visited a couple of other less-moderated sites for info only. I didn't enjoy forums until I came here. Now I don't visit any other forum sites. The discussions here can be fun and spirited without being out-of-control. That's what I like. I'll add my thanks for all those who work hard to keep this a great place to spend time!

I belong to quite a few sites, but spend most of my time posting at the FoRT, because of the way it is run and general level of discussions here. I have had posts deleted, post edited and all that good stuff --- but I don't mind, as there is always a valid reason.

For me, rules aren't an incovenience in anyway and I wouldn't trade the FoRT for any other place.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast