+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rules

I agree! I love the rules on FORT. I was just wondering what everyone's opinions were of them. I agree that the moderators are AWESOME.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I guess my answer (although I agree with it being an excellently moderated site and a joy to visit) is that it's John's site and he can do what he wants! Follow his rules or see ya! Works for most of us, so his rules must be good ones

FORT Fogey
    I totally agree with most of the comments that have already been made. When you've got as many participants as this forum has, there HAS to be moderating and rules. Everyone has their own idea of what is and is not acceptable, so self-moderation would be the equivilient of no moderation.

I've participated (and even moderated) at a forum that had essentially no moderation. The view of the administrator was basically that unless it destroyed the site, it was fine. I quit as a moderator and dropped my account there, because the anything goes approach left things wide open to bullies. A few people could band together and harass anyone they disagreed with into non-participation. That site has essentially died now for everyone but the bullies.

I've also participated in sites where the moderation was essentially "if you're my friend, you can get away with anything. If you're not my friend, look out". Again - disaster.

I've also participated in sites with VERY heavy-handed moderation, where people could be reprimanded for just about anything, with no explanation, and rules that were so strict and so far-reaching that no one could keep track of all of them, let alone abide by all of them.

In all my experiences with various sites, I've learned that there is a very delicate balance to be found in moderating. If there is either too little or too much, then participation by a variety of members becomes very limited. I think that the number of participants around here, and the traffic on the boards is the best testament there can be as to what a great job the staff here does of maintaining that balance.

What I like about this site is that I feel safe. No sex talk, no bullying, no harrassment. And although we all misspell at times and use some common lingo, I like that most people here can put a sentence together and say it in an intelligent way where I don't have to guess what they mean.

I've been to sites where the f-word is used quite frequently and although I'm no prude to that word, I don't care to see it or hear it every other word.

At times I do think some people can be a bit too sarcastic or a bit harsh but it might just be my own personal feelings. As others have said, the moderators do a great job and know when people really cross the line.

I also have made some great friends here and everyone is so supportive of each other when we have a problem. And it's nice to have your birthday remembered when some of your own family forgets!

I love this site. I have never found the moderators to be a problem. And I love the fact that we are multi age without anyone feeling left out or that they don't belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2166576;
    I've also participated in sites with VERY heavy-handed moderation, where people could be reprimanded for just about anything, with no explanation, and rules that were so strict and so far-reaching that no one could keep track of all of them, let alone abide by all of them.
    There's one forum I go to that is so freaking anal that I don't even post, I just read.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12