+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant about your In-Laws

Re: Rant about your In-Laws

I'd lay the receiver down and walk away. She can jabber all she wants and you don't have to listen to it. You can hang up later, after she does. That beats hanging up and risk her calling again.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I'm always more than ready to lie - I'll have to call you back, I'm on my way out the door. Of course this doesn't work at 9 or 10 at night.
    Count your blessings!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Gut, I would screen with Caller ID as well...but in the event that you pick up and you hear a slurring voice about to gossip, just say, "I've got another call. I'll call you back." And then don't. And don't pick up the phone when it rings again a few minutes later 'cause it'll be her...although maybe she'll be passed out drunk and will forget to call you again...

She may even get off on trying to play the two of you off each other. Who knows if she's just making this crap up? I wouldn't try to second guess a drunk and would take anything she says with a grain of salt. And then I would call her on it the next time I saw her (when she's sober). Ask her why she feels you'd want to hear those hurtful things and perhaps it's best if all 3 of you women get together and hash it out. Not that you would. But my guess is she'd freak out at the thought of actual confontation with the both of you, regardless of whether she's actually passing on the truth word for word or not.

(And not for nothing, but if the new wife actually IS bashing you, it's probably 'cause she's so insecure and your Ex is saying NICE things about you to her...and she isn't comparing favorably to you! )

Ha. Hadn't thought of that before!!
    Count your blessings!

My inlaws are back. They spend winters in Arizona, we live in Iowa. It's a wonderful arrangement. I am finally allowed to enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas. Well, my granddaughter, (their great-granddaughter) was born last November. No card, no gift, no letter, no phone call, nothing from them indicating that they even noticed much less cared. I continued to send pictures of Alexis about every month with a letter informing them of all the "news" from our family. They arrived home last weekend and came over to our area today. We live 2 hours away from them. They spent the entire day here visiting my husbands sister, her daughter and her 4 (illegitimate by 4 different fathers) kids. Finally showed up at my house at 4:15 today after telling us they'd be here at 3:00. My husband had to be to work at 4 and they acted so surprised that he wasn't here when they got here. My son and his wife were here with the baby and the first thing my mother-in-law pops off with is, "I was going to buy her a couple of outfits, but I didn't know what size she was." She's 5 months old. How hard is it to figure out what size to buy for a 5 month old baby! And it's not even that I think she has to spend a bunch of money or anything. But when she just showers the other kids and grandkids with gifts and my sweet baby barely gets acknowledged it really burns my butt. I guess after almost 30 years of marriage I should learn to expect this from her. But at least I feel a bit better after my rant.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sorry to bump this thread. I really need to vent.

Hubby's parents RV year round. You know, south for the Winter and north in the Summer. Anyway , Hubby's 41 year old brother has been a leach on his parents his entire adult life. It's always been about what B needs money for now. What B needs help with now, etc. Well 2 weeks ago he was arrested for hitting his girlfriend. His parents were in Florida and of course he called them for bail. They tried everything they could to get someone here to take money and bail him out. No one would do it. We all figured that a week in jail wouldn't hurt him and we didn't want to get involved. He deserved what ever he got.

Fast forward a week and they have gotten him a bus ticket to meet them and then continued back to this area with him. He has a court date this coming week.

Now as some may remember My step-daughter has her first baby this last New Years Day. This is child is their first great grandchild. My MIL through a fit last fall because S wouldn't ask her friends to change the date of the baby shower so MIL could attend. She through another fit because S and her Hubby didn't invite her to fly up after the baby was born to help. She has not seen the baby.

The In-laws are now with in 15 minutes of S's house and because nobody wants BIL around they won't even make the time to see the baby. My step-daughter is very hurt and I just want to smack these people up side the head.
    Thanks for listening. Sorry my rant is so long.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

My husband got the crap end of the stick on this one.

My MIL is wonderful. I have two sons from a previous relationship and by the time Mark and I were engaged, she was calling them her grandsons and they were calling her Grandma. She never forgets a birthday or holiday. His parents are divorced and she even calls us to remind us when a family member on his Dad's side has a birthday coming up. She lives about 20 minutes away, but never intrudes. She practically gave me a car. We bought a newer car from her and after we paid about 1/4 of the price we agreed on, she refused to take any more payments. She was here once when we were having a big arguement and she refused to leave until we'd kissed and made up. She said she didn't like to see us angry at each other.

My husband's Dad is great, but his wife, although very sweet, drives me a bit batty. For holidays she goes all out. She also looks up the toughest recipe's she can find and e-mails them to me so I can make those dishes for the dinner. I have several recipes of my own including a to die for pumpkin cheese cake but she never lets me make them. She also talks down to me like I'm 12. Other than that....

Now, my ex-husbands mother was a different story. She was satan.
    Last edited by katgib13; 05-04-2007 at 08:33 PM.

Lil Bit and catmom3, you're just going to have to spoil those beautiful babies even more to make up for their neglectful great-grandparents.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2368998;
    Lil Bit and catmom3, you're just going to have to spoil those beautiful babies even more to make up for their neglectful great-grandparents.
    Not possible. She's already as spoiled as she can get.

catmom3 You think maybe our mothers-in-law are twins or something??
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

God I hope not Lil Bit. I wouldn't wish my MIL on my worse enemy

My step-daughter call Hubby today and said "Dad, thats it. I am not going to jump for these people anymore. If they can't try, then I'm not going to either."

He and I both told her that she needs to do what ever she needs to do. Hubby is so upset with them right now that he deleted their phone number from his phone. Fortunately our grand-baby has another set of great-grandparents that just adore her and go out of their way to see her. And has offered a open ended offer to babysit any time her parents want some alone time.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

+ Reply to Thread