+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant about your In-Laws

MRD

Re: Rant about your In-Laws

Lois, that is just plain weird. But like Gabriel says, if its dementia, nothing is going to change it.

I wonder if you made it into a big joke and arrive wiht a pillow strapped to your back end, if she'd take the hint. If not, than at least you have a pillow there when she attacks.

I feel for you, I bet you are sore. That's just plain weird she does that.

Or, you know those paddle balls that have a wooden paddle and the ball is attached with an elastic string? get two of those, remove ball and string and put one over each cheek inside your pants, then if she hits you, she hits wood. Maybe it will get the message.

This is totally irrelavant, but..... When my dad was a kid, he had some "strike anywhere" matches in his back pocket. He got in trouble for something and his dad was spanking him. He started really yelling and my grandfather said, he was really going to give him something more to yell about and apparantly hit him harder (this was the 1930's, so discipline was different then I guess).
    Well what was making my dad yell was the matches ignited. When smoke started drifting off my dad's behind, my grandfather apparantly stopped in amazement. He never spanked my dad again after that. That has always been a huge family story and supposed to have made me feel better when I was litttle and got a spanking. I guess I was to be thankful my butt only "seemed" like it was on fire.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Lois Lane, maybe next time you should get a pack of thumntacks, peel off one layer of the board they come in, and put them in your pockets, with the pin part sticking away. Or maybe try and find mini whoopi cushions?
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Or just stay 10 feet away from her at all times. If she's got dementia, looking for ways to hurt her just isn't cool.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2689356;
    Or just stay 10 feet away from her at all times. If she's got dementia, looking for ways to hurt her just isn't cool.
    not to be taken seriously: Alternately, if MIL doesn't remember to not spank, maybe she won't remember the beating she gets in return. Just saying . . .
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2689383;
    not to be taken seriously: Alternately, if MIL doesn't remember to not spank, maybe she won't remember the beating she gets in return. Just saying . . .

*GUFFAW*
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

BAD BOYS! - both of you
    Count your blessings!

*looks innocently over towards Newfherder and back* Who Us?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2689383;
    Since you used a disclaimer I suppose everything else you say should be taken seriously...

In that case;

MRD

Can this thread be rant about your regular family as well?

My sister and I are not close anymore. In fact, I have not directly spoken to her in over a year. We do email occasionally. Her choice, not mine. Well partly mine because I got tired of talking to her on the phone and hearing her constant complaining and the mean comments she makes about my mother (we had different mothers, same dad). I have never made any negative comment about her mother because its her mother, but I don't get the same treatment (and yes for the record, I met her mother on several occasions and the woman was a witch, but I wouldn't say that). But I was the one who always called, she never calls me. And it was not always like this. But after our father passed away, she dropped the rest of the family like hot potatos which really upset my daughter who was only 9 at the time and wanted to know why her aunt didn't love her anymore.

Anyway, I did email my sis to wish her and her family a happy tgiving and she emailed back and I find out her daughter is getting married. I wonder if they were just going to mail me the invitation to let me know had I not emailed. Our brother didn't know either and they've been planning this for over 6 months. And our brother is her full brother who had the same set of parents and he never hears from her either.

I just think the whole thing with her is weird. But you'd think she could have at least emailed when my niece got engaged. I would have done the same had it been me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Lois, if your MIL is really suffering from dementia, your options on how to deal with her spanking you are really limited. Be cautious - people suffering from it can get very aggressive. I have seen elderly people with dementia - who are even wheelchair-bound! - grab at and cause physical harm to their caregivers.

Is there any way your MIL can be convinced to see her physician? If you can be sure that's the cause of her behaviour, then it's a lot easier to deal with. Please don't stop seeing her, though - the elderly who suffer from this kind of disorder are so often lonely and isolated, and confused. Don't allow yourself to get injured, of course! But if her behaviour is escalating, she really should be seen by a professional, and she will definitely need her family's support. Good luck.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread