+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant about your In-Laws

Re: Rant about your In-Laws

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2687002;
    A couple of years ago my brother in law asked me to buy our mother in law a DVD player since she didn't have one. I had something else in mind to buy her but I figured she must want a DVD player since BIL asked me to get her one. Christmas day comes and she opens her present from me and says, "I don't know why you bought me this. I don't watch a lot of movies and I don't even own a DVD." Then she opened the gift from my BIL and it was a Garfield DVD. OMG you would have thought he went all out for her. The rest of the day all I heard was how much she couldn't wait to watch the movie because she just loves Garfield and how great it was that BIL bought it for her and it was just the best present. Totally forgetting that without my (more expensive) present her DVD wouldn't have been worth anything to her.
    Ok I've ranted enough. I think I'm now ready to go spend the day with them.

I am going to dump some rain on this parade in a sarcastic sort of way.

Why did YOU have to buy the DVD player and BIL bought the cheap a** DVD?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2687042;
    I am going to dump some rain on this parade in a sarcastic sort of way.

Why did YOU have to buy the DVD player and BIL bought the cheap a** DVD?
    I wondered that myself.

My MIL would not let my FIL drink coffee or eat candy, so every year at Christmas I bought him the BIGGEST box of Whitman's sampler they had and those Maxwell house coffee bags (like tea bags) so he could make a cup of coffee and have candy. It PO'ed MIL big time, but FIL loved it. Hey, the man was in his 80's at this point, what is it going to hurt him? Let him have SOME joy because I know he had none living with that witch. He would hide both so she wouldn't throw them out.

I used to buy her mixed nuts. (but in a nice Christmasy gift set, not just a can of them). I don't think she ever got it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2687179;
    I wondered that myself.
    So did I.
    When he asked me to buy her a DVD player I assumed she had told him she wanted one. It wasn't until we opened the presents that I realised I had been swindled by my BIL.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf;2687227;
    So did I.
    When he asked me to buy her a DVD player I assumed she had told him she wanted one. It wasn't until we opened the presents that I realised I had been swindled by my BIL.

Swindled? Swindled ?? You were downright hoodwinked.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Cantgetenuf, that reminds of the time my husband and I bought his mom a brand new Mac computer and monitor--spent about $2,000 at the time. We asked his siblings if they wanted to go in on the gift and they said no, they'd already bought stuff. Well, one of the brothers bought her a VHS video of some show--probably cost about $20 at the most. She went on and on about how wonderful that was. And she just assumed that the computer was from ALL of us. I didn't have the heart to tell her that no one else wanted to chip in.

I'm not really sure how to handle this... My MIL I think has some dementia. And she "spanks" me. You heard me. I'm 39 years old and she spanks me. Last year when I was 17 weeks pregnant, she tried to spank me. Who tries to hit a pregnant woman, especially a pregnant woman with a history of miscarriages?

My parents never hit any of us, and my mother would be mortified to know that my MIL spanks me. My MIL thinks it's funny and keeps doing it, even if I tell her not to. I'll get spanked regardless of what I say--if I try to make her life easier by carrying her luggage, she'll hit me. If she doesn't think I'm listening to her, she'll hit me. Now don't get me wrong, it's not 24/7. But it's at least once or twice during each visit. I may have mentioned before that I'm tall, but slight. I don't have a lot of meat on my bones...she smacked my butt so hard last night that I am completely bruised. My husband came running when he saw this happening 'cause he said she was hitting me so hard he thought I would fall over. She thought it was funny. We both told her she cannot do this anymore and she agreed. This morning, she threatened to spank me again. She completely forgot about last night. I told my husband that if she does this again, I will punch her in the face. I was only half kidding. My body is so sore today, and as I sit here typing I am just so angry... (She also spanks his cousins etc., but they are all men and much bigger than me and the hits probably don't impact their bodies as much as they impact mine.)
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 11-22-2007 at 01:31 PM.

an empty nest, and not liking it one dang bit!

Lois Lane- The woman sounds like freak! Nothing like getting battered at get togethers. What would she do if you suddenly got into giving love pinches? The evil kind on the back of the arm? Tell her you are taking self defence classes and your reflects are super sharp and you can't be held responsible if you accidently bash her upside the head. Hell, I don't blame your one bit for being angry, I'm angry for you.

[QUOTE=Newfherder;2687032;]My best advice to everybody concerning their inlaws is a saying that I learned many, many years ago. I only wish I knew to whom it should be attributed:
    When among apes, one must play an ape. QUOTE]

LoisLane: That is not only strange but totally unacceptable! I would call it a case of personal assault. Particularly since she's left bruises and won't stop. OMGosh. Does she do other things that make you feel she is getting dementia, or does she just have a very strange sense of humor?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

If the woman is beginning to suffer from dementia, nothing usually stops the behavior. Inappropriateness sometimes runs rampant. Keep us posted Lois, if you find a way to stop this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

She spanked me again tonight after dinner in front of my family. She has issues, obviously. I told her that she can't hit me anymore, because next time I will hit back. She has no clue that what she is doing is hurtful (literally) and completely inappropriate. She thinks it's "cute."

In other irritating in law news, she cannot sit still at a get together. And in her effort to be helpful, she ends up getting in the way. When I tell her to relax and just enjoy being a guest, she spanks me. (In all honestly, I wanted to deck her tonight.) She ends up getting in the way, putting everything in the wrong place, and tonight broke our garbage disposal (she put turkey bones in it and when I caught her doing it, she said, "Oh, you don't do that?"). I wish I had a fence that needed painting or a lawn that needed mowing 'cause I would put her to work to get her out of my hair.

I actually don't like guests working at my house. It's just wrong. I mean I don't want to be their maid, but if I invite you to my house, do not take over when I specifically ask you not to.

I don't think I'll be inviting her over for any more vacations. I can't deal with her anymore--it's just too stressful.

LoisLane ... I wonder of there is something you can put in your back pocket so if she spanks you it hurts her hand, or gives her a gentle shock ?

It really does sound like some dementia and I think the only way to control it is some sort of re-training ? Really, I think you have to treat it as if she is a mis-behaving child. Perhaps you could have your hubby ask her Doctor to check things out, or at the very least for some advice as to how to handle.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread