+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant about your In-Laws

an empty nest, and not liking it one dang bit!

Re: Rant about your In-Laws

Barefoot - my mom is going through the same thing, my brother's wife is a #@!%^$. She has done everything she can to keep my baby brother and thier kids from his "other" family incuding his son from a prior relationship. While bro is responsible for half of the family issues that have come up. this vile creature will NEVER EVER be forgiven for what she has done to my mother. she is a snake... and shame on her for allowing, and pushing my ding dong brother to behave the way he does to his mother.

another disclaimer.. i rag about my MIL but that is my husbands mother and his relationship with her is NONE of my business. she can treat me like crap all she wants but that is her baby boy i am married to and i respect the witch's right when it comes to my husband.....ouch did i just say that? I let hubby figure out her insanity all on his own. That is why i come here.

That is exactly what happened in my Hubby's family snickertink. For years I sat back and took the insults, criticism and backstabbing. I always tried to get and go along. I never denied the in-laws access to the kids and even drove to meet them for dinner or some other get together. I even went out of my way to let drop little hints that if they wanted to take the kids for the weekend or longer, I would let them. They always jumped at that chance.
    After all I married their son and I truly believe that they loved the grandkids. I also believe that kids can benefit from have a relationship with the grandparents.

Very early on I did comment to Hubby that I didn't think his Mother liked me very much. (The fact that she had wanted him to met a friends daughter about the same time we met,probably had some to do with that.) He always kind of blew me off saying that MIL just was gruff sometimes. Fast forward 20 years into our marriage and Hubby decided to totally break off all communication with them. They now live about 2 hours away and I haven't spoke to or seen them in a year. Hubby made his choice and I didn't disagree but I also didn't encourage him. The older kids could care less. They had already seen and understood what these people were like years ago. I really had to force the issue of visits the last few years. The youngest misses them the most, but they did spoil her rotten when they had her.

Hubby is happier then I've seen him in a long time. I'm happy to just not having to make a big effort to get along. The toxicity was finally the straw that broke the Hubby's back. Oh, and the knowledge that they didn't want to see our first granddaughter, their first great grandchild, really trumped it.

Oh well life goes on and it is sweeter.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by snickertink;2679416;
    Barefoot - my mom is going through the same thing, my brother's wife is a #@!%^$. She has done everything she can to keep my baby brother and thier kids from his "other" family incuding his son from a prior relationship. While bro is responsible for half of the family issues that have come up. this vile creature will NEVER EVER be forgiven for what she has done to my mother. she is a snake... and shame on her for allowing, and pushing my ding dong brother to behave the way he does to his mother.

another disclaimer.. i rag about my MIL but that is my husbands mother and his relationship with her is NONE of my business. she can treat me like crap all she wants but that is her baby boy i am married to and i respect the witch's right when it comes to my husband.....ouch did i just say that? I let hubby figure out her insanity all on his own. That is why i come here.

Tink, I really think the MIL should respect the person her child married. For better or worse, it's HER CHILD'S decision and not hers and its up to her to at least try for her child's sake to get along with the spouse.

well in theory anyway. We know it never works out that way.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2678892;
    MIL wants to take a family picture at Thanksgiving as the kids are rarely home from college at the same time. FIL never wants his picture taken. SIL wants to have a color scheme for clothes.

Our daughter wants to videotape the whole production so she can laugh at it later. I have no idea where she gets her sense of humor.
    veejer, are you sure we're not related?? My mother-in-law wants a family photo taken this Thanksgiving and she wants it color-coordinated because the photographer said it would look better. She wanted everyone in navy slacks. The boys she wanted in long-sleeved blue shirts, and the girls in long-sleeved white shirts. My husband thought it was a stupid idea but said okay, because he likes to please his mom and it's not that big a deal. But the only person who had anything was my husband. He had a pair of navy slacks. So I had go out and hunt for everything else. We don't wear long sleeves much down here and a nice white shirt without Shrek ironed on the front is hard to find. But anyway, on Saturday my daughter and I went all over searching for navy slacks. You would not believe how hard it is to find navy slacks for girls. We ended up getting boys pants for the littlest. So five stores, three hours and over $200 later we're all set. Yesterday we called them for last minute details before we leave to go visit them (we're leaving today) and the mother in law says that she's changed her mind and now she wants khaki pants. My husband has never been so angry with his mother. Forget that not all of us have khaki pants (I know, we're weird) but why would she wait until the last minute to spring all of this on us? We only found out about the picture a week ago. My husband suspects that his sister threw a fit about the navy pants and that's why his mom changed her mind. Well, tough. We're going in navy.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2678892;
    MIL wants to take a family picture at Thanksgiving as the kids are rarely home from college at the same time. FIL never wants his picture taken. SIL wants to have a color scheme for clothes.

Our daughter wants to videotape the whole production so she can laugh at it later. I have no idea where she gets her sense of humor.

See, I like SIL's idea as long as it was taken by a professional photographer. But for just someone from the family, I say where what you want.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Okay, this is getting to be more of a laugh at your in-laws than a rant!!!

I just got an email from SIL that she doesn't have any sweaters or shirts in the colors that she suggested. Followed quickly by a similar email from MIL. I just emailed the both of them the following:

Dear MIL & SIL,

If we were going to a professional photographer then it would be a great idea to coordinate colors ahead of time, but I think that we should consider this a "spontaneous" picture at a family gathering.

Even if each of our three groups matches within themselves, when we get together the groups might not match.

veejer-son is wearing (or bringing) a plain jean shirt, so he will go with just about anything. mr. veejer, veejer-daughter and I will each bring an extra sweater/shirt or two in case of a huge clash. Maybe the SIL-family could do the same.

Remember, the more of a production that we make of this, the less cooperative people will be and the smiles will be scarce.

veejer
    I'll let you know how it turned out. I have a feeling that this thread is going to be very active during the holidays!!!

You may want to take a kevlar sweater, just in case
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2682820;
    You may want to take a kevlar sweater, just in case
    and a fire extinguisher
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Goodness, reading this thread has made me chuckle. From the stories I hear from my boyfriend, if our relationship does go to that step, it will be an interesting time dealing with his mother. From what I have heard about her, she is far worse on her normal days than my mom is at her anoyingest best. And I can't wait to inform her that he and I met online, because according to her, anybody online wants to scam and steal my boyfriend blind! But so far, his younger brother thinks i'm awesome! lol.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

FORT Newbie

I'd like to rant at my in-laws for raising a son who is a neanderthal! I gotta ask myself lately, what kind of people would raise a son who hears "date your mate" from professional counselors, his pastor & personal friend, The Bible and from his wife & still refuses to do this. To let his wife cry and hurt her constantly. What kind of parents raise a son like that???? Guess I'm not really blaming them but he's to blame....just a way to rant for me as I'm on the upset side at this moment. Take it from me folks, children learn about relationships from watching their parents and I pray daily the God is putting blinders on my children's eyes. There...now maybe I can sleep better after this rant.....probably since the "neanderthal in question" has opted for the couch. Lucky me since he snores terribly

+ Reply to Thread