+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

Re: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

I am pretty sure my mom is going to drag me out of bed to go shopping with her that friday, even though she KNOWS I hate shopping with crowds of people.

Thanks for the link bbnbama! I'll have to take a look at it.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

I work at Wal-mart and I'll be there at a lovely 4:30 am on Black Friday. I opened last year too, which was insane. Actually, it's kind of hilarious watching everyone charge into the store like their lives depended on it.

I've never done the doorbuster thing before, but will be doing so this year, as there is a new holiday-special item being released that day that I REALLY want, but know it may easily sell out in minutes (with no word as to whether there will be more shipments). We'll probably pick up other deals while we're at it, and get some of the Christmas shopping out of the way. I won't camp, but will be there before 5 a.m. openings. I'm kind of nervous, lol-- I'm a passive person, and know I might get trampled.

Good forum for the BF stuff here; you can see many of the ads that have been leaked with scans and list- Coupons, Coupon Codes & Promotion Codes -> Black Friday 2007, Official Black friday 2007 Sale ads

I posted there, and will post here, my advice- one piece, based on stories I've heard is, stay safe. Always be aware of your surroundings, especially when coming out of stores in predawn hours, with your expensive purchases and fumbling for your keys. Odds are it won't happen to you, but there will be predators in places lying in wait, knowing there can be easy pickings. Having someone else with you is ideal; more safety in numbers. Keep a hand on your purse, or better still, wear the strap across your chest rather than just over one shoulder, and be sure it isn't open. Many crimes are crimes of opportunity. Don't be an easy victim.

Piece of advice #2, from having worked at Office Depot on BF a couple years ago: be NICE to the retail workers! Things are very stressful for them. Be kind to fellow shoppers and employees, and hopefully karma will reward you, and at the very least things will be a better experience for everyone. I had a few customers who were really nasty to me at checkout because they didn't realize the price in the ad was for after rebates (written in smaller print, admittedly). Chewing out the underpaid cashier will get you nowhere, trust me, lol.

Friday is our busiest day of the year at my restaurant. It's insane. I do 3 times as much business by 11 a.m. as I normally do by 3 p.m. on Fridays. You couldn't get me in a store shopping for anything that day. :nono

I hate shopping any day after Thanksgiving. There are just too many people and not enough aisle space. Every year I vow that I'm going to get most of my shopping done online but I always chicken out because it's hard not seeing some items. This year I mean it! All online except for stocking stuffers!
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I've worked the madness and I've shopped the madness and I love it all....I absolutely HATE to shop but Black Friday is the one day I do like to do it...I like to see what everyone else is getting too.

I don't even have anyone's Christmas list yet but you can bet I will be out on Black Friday anyway!

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

MRD

I have gotten some great deals in the past on Black Friday. Enough to make it really worth it. And my friends and I used to co-ordinate our efforts, scour the ads, post people at various locations with cell phones, have a plan of attack, etc. And then go eat and compare our notes and bargains. Great fun.

I'm sure D-Day was not planned with as much thought as we used to put into our black friday shopping.

Also, where we used to live, the mall, Walmart, Target, Toys R Us, Circuit City, etc, were all located in the same area, most across the street from each other, so that made it very easy as we had a very small area and didn't have to run all over town to get to the stores we wanted. I like the concentrated shopping area because it meant, we could plan our shopping by which stores opened at which times (and it was staggered) and make it to each one and get what we wanted.
    My problem right now is that one year I bought a $5 door buster toaster at Walmart. I've had it about 5 years now and its really struggling to make toast. You'd think that for $5, it'd last longer than 5 years.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I hate crowds so I don't venture out the day after Thanksgiving. I like to hole up and forget the outside world exists.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by hermione4586;2671183;
    I work at Wal-mart and I'll be there at a lovely 4:30 am on Black Friday. I opened last year too, which was insane. Actually, it's kind of hilarious watching everyone charge into the store like their lives depended on it.
    Well there are a lot of people that maybe while their lives don't depend on it, their children's Christmases do. I know that when my daughter was younger, if it hadn't been for the black friday sales (and Walmart layaway which is now gone), my daughter's Christmas would not have been as nice. And honestly while I do have fun shopping on Black Friday. It is the sales that entice me, because frankly I don't have the extra money and if by getting up a few hours early one day a year and battling crowds, I can and have saved hundreds of dollars, I will do it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

Shopping on Black Friday is a big hell no for me. I like going out the day after Christmas though.

+ Reply to Thread