+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    This isn't really intentional shopping the day after Thanksgiving...but it sort of coincided. A few years ago, a greeting card shop was going out of business and it was right around Thanksgiving. I had to work the day after and the card shop was in the business district so not a lot of customers were there (most had the day off). As each day grew closer to the closing, the prices were marked down more. I started off getting cards at 25% off (when the selection was still good) and managed to get a good deal more at 75% to 90% (!!) off on the last day of its existance (of course, the best stuff had been picked through by this point). It was great. I spent about $300 on cards and wrapping paper, which is a lot of money, but I'm set for another few years of birthdays, weddings, baby showers, Mother's and Father's Day cards, anniversary, condolences, Christmas and holiday cards, thank you cards etc. And the best thing is I don't have to run out to the store to pick up a card anymore. And cards aren't cheap. The nice ones are about $4 even at Target. Anyhow, I have them all filed away (by category) at home so the right card is easy to find for the appropriate occasion. It's great!

ArchieComic Fan, you have my complete sympathy for having to go through that. The way people treat service staff is one of my prime methods of measuring their character.

About the Black Friday shopping, we don't have that up here, but nothing on earth could drag me out of the house on Boxing Day. My ochlophobia has been gearing itself up to be come just as important in my pantheon of neuroses as the acrophobia is, and the "stop f$&%(*g touching me"s that used to just be in my head are now actually coming out of my mouth, though still reasonably quietly. I am becoming quite the embarrassment to Mr. Rattus during our infrequent jaunts to various tourist events.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2142707;
    ArchieComic Fan, you have my complete sympathy for having to go through that. The way people treat service staff is one of my prime methods of measuring their character.
    Me too! I've actually quit dating guys before because I was so turned off by the way they spoke to waiters / waitresses.

That's always been my rule -- if you're nice to me, but not nice to the waiter, then you're really not a nice person.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Some of you almost have me talked into getting up next Friday .
    I have 1/2 of the kid's stuff bought already, in this town a lot of the video games they want will be gone if I wait. The rest of theirs I'll most likely mail-order. That just leaves my husband and Mother/MIL. So I guess I'll go through the ads and see if it is worth the struggle.
    I guess this applies to this thread: What do you buy for two 70+ women who already have everything they want? Seems like I get them the same-old every year.

ETA: My sister used to tell me (waaaaaay back) that you can judge your boyfriend by the way he treats service people and his mother.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Cricketeen, my parents and in-laws are in their late 70s-early 80s. After many years of getting them things that they never used, didn't want, hearing them say "We don't want anything" or "You shouldn't have" we have finally resorted to gift cards....for places like Target and their favourite restaurants....Applebee's, Outback, Red Lobster, etc.

I have also done this for the past few years, not just limited to the holidays. When I am making up a lasagna, stuffed shells, mac n cheese, meatloaf, chili, stew, soup, spaghetti and meatballs, etc., I put enough into two Tupperware/Gladware dishes and bring them over to my parents. They can have one that night or the next for dinner and the other in the freezer....or stick both in the freezer for later use.

They love the idea of having meals prepared for them and dinner out is also a big treat.

My kids make up little booklets out of construction paper with different chores written on the pages, kind of like coupons, of things they would like to do for my folks. My son will go over and mow the lawn, rake the leaves, etc. One daughter will go over and rearrange/clean out the medicine cabinet, kitchen cabinets, mop the floor, etc. Believe it or not, my 15-year-old likes to IRON my mom's clothes for her. She will sit there ironing away while Mom tells her stories of her childhood. I just think these are much more precious gifts than anything on a store shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2142752;
    Cricketeen, my parents and in-laws are in their late 70s-early 80s. After many years of getting them things that they never used, didn't want, hearing them say "We don't want anything" or "You shouldn't have" we have finally resorted to gift cards....for places like Target and their favourite restaurants....Applebee's, Outback, Red Lobster, etc.

I have also done this for the past few years, not just limited to the holidays. When I am making up a lasagna, stuffed shells, mac n cheese, meatloaf, chili, stew, soup, spaghetti and meatballs, etc., I put enough into two Tupperware/Gladware dishes and bring them over to my parents. They can have one that night or the next for dinner and the other in the freezer....or stick both in the freezer for later use.

They love the idea of having meals prepared for them and dinner out is also a big treat.

My kids make up little booklets out of construction paper with different chores written on the pages, kind of like coupons, of things they would like to do for my folks. My son will go over and mow the lawn, rake the leaves, etc. One daughter will go over and rearrange/clean out the medicine cabinet, kitchen cabinets, mop the floor, etc. Believe it or not, my 15-year-old likes to IRON my mom's clothes for her. She will sit there ironing away while Mom tells her stories of her childhood. I just think these are much more precious gifts than anything on a store shelf!

My mom likes gift cards but my MIL loathes them. She says they are too impersonal. How it is more impersonal than the same gifts year after year, I do not know. I love the kid's coupons idea! That may be just the thing for her. Thank you!!!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    MamaC, you raised your kids right. I love that they enjoy helping their grandparents. I can tell they're going to take good care of you (and PapaC) as well!

Thanks Lois, but it isn't always so peaches and cream here. I could write a book.....and have many thousands of gray hair to prove it!

They are basically good kids but they have had their moments where I questioned whether they were switched at birth or dropped on their heads or something.

My mom just turned 91 and is in one of those 'almost' assisted living places. Very nice - but she doesn't want anything. She gave/threw away most of the earlier gifts when she moved in. She doesn't go out much, so no shopping or restaurants any more.

So I will usually get her cookie tins, or treats (bought or homemade) of some kind - to have on hand when the staff or other residents stop by to visit.
    I make sure she has some during and after the holidays.

as for shopping the day after Thanksgiving -

won't do it, you can't make me. I hate crowds, hate lines even more.
    But I think I will see if I can get some on-line deals. home in my comfy jammies and fuzzy slippers - with a hot chocolate by my side.

+ Reply to Thread