+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

Re: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

I gave up Black Friday shopping years ago after seeing two women almost in a fist fight over a stupid DVD player. Yeah, no thanks. I'll enjoy my shopping online and have my nice UPS guy bring it to my door.

Not a fan of these stores opening on Thanksgiving morning, either. I feel for the employees, not getting to enjoy their dinner or family time.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    ...No Walmart for me.
    Good for you! I stopped giving my business to Walmart several years ago.

WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price
    Last edited by Ellen; 11-21-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    libgirl2 and Cootie like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I haven't done any shopping on Black Friday in years, since the kids were small. A horrible memory is ingrained in my brain. It was around 6 am and Shoprite, our local supermarket had a super deal on Game Boy systems. The line was orderly and the appointed time when the sale would begin came and went. Finally, a store manager arrived late and the sale began at the customer service counter. All h*ll broke loose right then and people started to shove, pushing an elderly woman to the ground. At that point I got off the now unruly line and helped the woman up along with some other folks. Some one went looking for a chair and we stayed with her until she was taken care of. I vowed never again to shop on Black Friday. Just a few years ago a security guard was trampled to death at a KMart at a shopping mall about a half hour away from here. It is just insane. I am happy to report, though, that I had a store coupon for 25% off one item at Staples, for today only. The store was empty but for some reason the Home Depot lot, where Staples is located, was jammed. Hubby and I just got back and scored a great deal on a nice, ergonomic leather computer chair. Merry Christmas to me!
    It was kind of you and the others to help the lady. I would never get in line days ahead of time for a good deal on a big screen TV, or anything else.
    Last edited by bachelorwatcher; 11-21-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I just saw an ad for Sears opening at 8 p.m. Thursday night and one for Kmart opening at 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving day. I don't get it at all. I can get my shopping done for the holidays inside 2 hours sitting on my couch watching TV in my PJs.

FORT Fogey

Kmart has always been open on Thanksgiving day. I remember that vividly from about 7 years age when they saved a Thankgiving disaster when a pipe in my guest bath broke about 3 hours before guests were arriving!

I've sworn up and down for years that I would NEVER shop on Black Friday (at least not at a big box store) and was horrified at stores opening on Thanksgiving. Well, this year, Michael's is running a great deal on Ott Lights on Thursday from 4-11pm that I don't think I can pass up. I'd planned on buying one this year, but was balking at the $60-ish+ price tag. Michael's will have them for $17.99. I'm willing to suck it up and go out into that sea of inhumanity for that kind of deal. It's likely that one of us will have to get in line the second we walk through the door so the others can shop. I'm hopeful that the crowds won't be too bad and, if they are, oh well.

There are plenty of great deals online for electronics, so if I want something, I'll stay home in my pjs to buy it
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I just saw an ad for Sears opening at 8 p.m. Thursday night and one for Kmart opening at 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving day. I don't get it at all. I can get my shopping done for the holidays inside 2 hours sitting on my couch watching TV in my PJs.
    Now you are talking Pj's and a computer, thats all I need

Happy shopping
    Debb70 likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I've seen a few other ads for stores opening up sometime today. but I'm not sure which ones here in town. I don't really care anyhow, except to dislike them for it.

Our mall stores start opening between Midnight & 6:00. Our K-Mart doesn't open 'till 6:00AM, or at least that's the way it's been for the last 2 years.

I've decided to let Thanksgiving be Thanksgiving & Black Friday be Black FRIDAY.

And Walmart can just be off limits this Christmas season. I'm sure they won't miss me & I certainly won't miss them.
    After Christmas I'll reassess whether they deserve me or not.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I think Black Friday shopping gets a bad rap for a few uncivilized fools. I have been Black Friday shopping since I was a kid. I have never come across anything like they show on tv. For a lot of us it's all about getting the deal and liking being out among the masses enjoying the fun.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I was really impressed when I saw the great deals on electronics starting Thursday night. It was so tempting that it almost drew me out, but I resisted. I am tempted to go today to go to Dollar General. They have a small battery operated candle trio that sits in a water stream with rocks for $5.00!!!!! My mom has one and it is beautiful for home decoration and special occasions. THey are usually $10.00, which is a good deal, but $5.00 is just crazy. I'm considering getting several for gifts.

Then I'm helping my mom get all her on-line orders done...mine too. I doubt I'll have to go into the stores for anything really.

+ Reply to Thread