+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

Re: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

So a friend of mine is spending time already in line at bestbuy for a 40in tv for $178. I love Black Friday shopping but to miss thanksgiving to sit in a line for a tv,smh
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I haven't done any shopping on Black Friday in years, since the kids were small. A horrible memory is ingrained in my brain. It was around 6 am and Shoprite, our local supermarket had a super deal on Game Boy systems. The line was orderly and the appointed time when the sale would begin came and went. Finally, a store manager arrived late and the sale began at the customer service counter. All h*ll broke loose right then and people started to shove, pushing an elderly woman to the ground. At that point I got off the now unruly line and helped the woman up along with some other folks. Some one went looking for a chair and we stayed with her until she was taken care of. I vowed never again to shop on Black Friday. Just a few years ago a security guard was trampled to death at a KMart at a shopping mall about a half hour away from here. It is just insane.

I am happy to report, though, that I had a store coupon for 25% off one item at Staples, for today only. The store was empty but for some reason the Home Depot lot, where Staples is located, was jammed. Hubby and I just got back and scored a great deal on a nice, ergonomic leather computer chair. Merry Christmas to me!

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007 View Post
    So a friend of mine is spending time already in line at bestbuy for a 40in tv for $178. I love Black Friday shopping but to miss thanksgiving to sit in a line for a tv,smh
    I don't understand that . I wouldn't stand ( or sit, in line) even if it wasn't Thanksgiving. We have definitely lost the plot

I see these people in line to have the first game or the new iPhone, and I just-dont- get- it. SMH with you
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I don't Black Friday shop. Ever. I hate shopping as it is, but BF and Dec. 26 are the worst.
    (One time in high school was enough for a lifetime.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

I wonder if some of the people who sit in line for items like that do it not so much for the merchandise, but for what the see as an adventure. There are those activities that build camraderie among people, that people are drawn to partcipate in because of the social aspect. I've joked with friends I've made through my son's football team that if he ever decided not to play, I'd still go to the practices and games, because I enjoy spending the time hanging outside with friends, getting pumped up over the kids, and the activity that it is for me. Even if we get together in the off season for drinks, it's not quite the same as the setting for sitting at practices and games. Before I had kids, my husband and I used to feel the same way about a bar we'd go to for trivia nights. Maybe for people who don't have family or close friends close by that it would make sense to spend Thanksgiving with, the adventure of camping out and forming that bond with other people is appealing, with the benefit of a cheap TV once the whole thing is over.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I wonder if some of the people who sit in line for items like that do it not so much for the merchandise, but for what the see as an adventure. There are those activities that build camraderie among people, that people are drawn to partcipate in because of the social aspect...
    I've never thought of it that way, but it makes sense.
    On a tangent related to your son's football:
    Hubby and I live next to a Little League ballpark. We're childfree, but we enjoy watching the kids' games. They're way more entertaining than the professional games. We like to look for kid that doesn't have a big cheering section, and then become (or add to) his or her cheering section. We've met some fun people that way, and hopefully boosted a kid's confidence here and there.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

In my family it's a traditional thing. All the women get up early kids and all. Start at one end of town do lunch and sometimes dinner.I however do not stand in long lines for items. A lot of those things can be had online cyber Monday anyhow.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

There are those activities that build camraderie among people, that people are drawn to partcipate in because of the social aspect.
    Yeah, and then they stomp each other trying to be the first one in the door.
    candor likes this.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I love Black Friday shopping. I love the excitement & the deals, but I just don't wait in line for a store to open. I go shortly after opening. I still get plenty of great deals.
    I've heard that in some places people have been camping out since the weekend to get a front place in line. I don't care if they were giving out $500.00 in cash, I just wouldn't do that.

This year I looked at the ads online & found a number of great deals at Walmart, but the closer it gets the more angry I'm getting & have no intention of stepping in that store 'till Saturday, if at all.

First off, I'm furious about the Thanksgiving opening sales. Thanksgiving is a holiday people are supposed to spend leisurely with relatives & friends. Hanging out, visiting, enjoying a meal together, & just being thankful for them. That's why it's Thanksgiving.
    But instead, Walmart wants us to just throw turkey down our throats & make a mad dash for the door to spend, spend, spend our money there. Who cares about family or the holiday? Certainly not Walmart.
    Second, the poor employees are expected to give up their own holiday & family to work dismal hours at low pay in a stressful environment. No extra pay for them. Just more $$$$$ for Walmart.

I've decided they're not taking it away from me. I'll go to K-Mart or our Mall early on Black Friday to get my deals.

No Walmart for me.
    Ellen, libgirl2 and Cootie like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I just have a few gifts left to get and there wasn't anything in the ads that I was going to buy so I will wait til the frenzy is over and maybe go do some shopping. I have only did black friday once and that was to take my daughter to the electronics store to get whatever she wanted and then it was back home. I stayed in the car while she did the shopping.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

+ Reply to Thread