+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

Re: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3755380;
    Other than that, I don't see the big deal with BF. I have yet to find anything that's so significantly cheaper that it's worth putting up with the craziness and the complete rudeness by the other shoppers and employees.
    At the moment I think it is likely that I will go shopping on BF. However, it all depends on what I see in the ads on Thanksgiving. I have four kids, so I can usually find a few things they are looking for and the savings do add up enough to make it worth my while. What really irks me is when they put stuff in the ads that isn't even discounted!! You really do have to do some legwork on items you aren't familiar with to make sure you are getting a good price!

Last year I went to Target before they opened and had a nice time chatting with the other early arrivers. I also got a fantastic deal on a Dyson vacuum that I had my eye on for quite some time! No, it wasn't a Christmas present but since I was planning to buy one anyway I figured I may as well get the best deal I could!!

Quote Originally Posted by Writerinthewind;3755349;
    Amazon just started their online Black Friday Monday! :
    Black Friday Deals on Amazon.com
    THX for posting this link Writer! I'm in the market for a Nintendo DS this Christmas and at this link I got the same deal that I was seeing in the BF Walmart ads. The thought of going to Walmart on BF chills me to the bone, plus no sales tax with Amazon so it was actually a better deal -- w00t!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy;2141747;
    I tried shopping the day after Thanksgiving once, and only once. I was so disgusted by rude and pushy shoppers that I haven't tried again in over 20 years. And from what I've read, it's gotten even worse.

Holy COW!

You must've gone out the one time on Black Friday that I did!

I swear to God, it was one time ONLY, with a friend, that I went out, it was over 20 years ago, and I have not been out shopping on Black Friday since.

I absolutely could not believe how mean, hateful, pushy and nasty people were. It actually stunned me.

I remember reaching my breaking point, standing in the middle of the floor in Rich's --- while all sorts of chaos erupted around me --- looking up at the ceiling, and saying to God:

"Please. I promise . . . If You let me get out of here alive, I will never, EVER do this again!"

Long story short . . .

He did, and I haven't!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

MRD

Future Son in law got to Target at 2 am and was 6th person in line. They opened the doors at 5. He called me at 10 after 5 to tell me he was on his way home with his purchase. He said it got really crowded and he doesn't know why anyone would do that, except that he got a really great deal on what he went to get.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I make it a point to not shop on BF.

A friend was telling me today that the fine print of many of the "great deals" says a lot. Just an example, but on HDTVs, "only 4 per store". I had just said "anyone who goes to those sales must have to make a long prioritized list". Just due to the crowds, stuff sells out. So it's worse than just that.

I wouldn't be able to handle the lines, pushing and shoving, and humanity at its greediest and worst.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by Writerinthewind;3758205;
    Amazon is having some GREAT deals right now. I am Black Friday shopping in my PJ's and drinking my coffee!!
    Black Friday Deals on Amazon.com
    I am sitting right there with you!

They reported on the news today that some man had lined up very early Thanksgiving Day in order to be able to buy a toaster for $3 on Black Friday when Target opened at 5:00 AM.
    WHY???
    To Thine Own Self Be True

People were lining up on Wednesday for stores like Best Buy...I wouldn't go that far. I would definitely camp IF there was a good deal, but only if it was something I really needed. Here in Seattle, people are definitely not crazy, rude, pushy, etc on Black Friday. I went to a lot of different places because well, there were actual deals. A video game that I had to get my brother for Christmas was $25 off retail, and I got a lot of DVD's for $4-$7 each. At the store I work at, there were massive savings-these sweaters that were normally $25, today $10. Fred Meyer had what has become an institution-50% off all socks, outerwear, and cold-weather accessories. Walgreens had Ben & Jerry's for $2 a pint, and A&W 12 packs for $2.50.

The worst thing I saw was a guy in the Walgreens parking lot who obviously should not have been driving.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

FORT Fogey

Didn't go anywhere near the Mall where I live. But we went to a shopping center with a lot of big box stores (Home Depot, Bed, Bath & Beyond, etc) and the parking lot didn't look any worse than a regular Saturday. Shopped in Michael's for some craft supplies and they had good bargains on candles.

The only Black Friday shopping we did? A late afternoon run to CVS in preparation for Saturday's decorating. My dad and I went and bought six boxes of white lights.

The embarrassing part? For whatever reason, we failed to account for the fact that the rest of the trees/bushes we normally decorate had likely also grown, and the inevitable few strands that are half burned out. So, Saturday afternoon, when we'd run out of lights, we went back to the same CVS, bought another six boxes (some 100s this time) and the checkout girl said to us, "Weren't you here yesterday? Wow, I want to see your house!"

When Mom subsequently asked if CVS carried battery-powered "candles" for the window, I suggested that she or my sister should go.

+ Reply to Thread