+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

Re: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

Between being tapped out from the Thanksgiving feast and my son's birthday a few days later, I never have the money for Black Friday shopping.

Re: Do you plan on shopping on Black Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by walkvideo;3754854;
    Do you shop on Black Friday? Or, do you bury your head in the sand and avoid all the craziness? Why? Why not?
    I'm working all day, so, no. And even if I weren't -- also no. I hate shopping on normal days; I hate it even worse on days like Black Friday and Dec. 26th. Parking sucks and even nice people turn into rude idiots. (not all, but enough!)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

Re: Do you plan on shopping on Black Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3754886;
    I'm working all day, so, no. And even if I weren't -- also no. I hate shopping on normal days; I hate it even worse on days like Black Friday and Dec. 26th. Parking sucks and even nice people turn into rude idiots. (not all, but enough!)

Ellen -- you got that exactly right!! Black Friday around this area is like a zoo run wild. I wouldn't go near the malls for all the tea in China!! Also I don't shop the day after Xmas....another zoo.

When I was younger, we never used to do Black Friday shopping, but my junior year of high school I had really gotten into knitting (with a loom knitter) and JoAnn's had Fun Fur on sale for half price, so we went up. The next year, same deal. Then I had to work on Black Friday, but my dad was the one who would take me in-and he used that time to get all of his Christmas shopping done.

I probably will not be doing any BF shopping this year, because I'm probably going to be working. I am a definite deals shopper though, and for me the deals are great this year because I am looking at moving out of my parents' house and into an apartment with my boyfriend in the next year and a half, and I'm in the process of acquiring things to pack away to furnish it (hand mixer, which I needed anyways, as well as an espresso maker, a toaster, a mini sandwich maker, an electric fondue pot, a jewelry armoire). Also my television is older than I am, so it's due time for me to get a new TV.

I opened three Black Fridays at my previous mall job, and from experience the first couple hours at a mall are typically quieter, that is if you don't have a Target/Best Buy/Kohl's actually in the mall. The mall I worked at had the former two across the street, so many people went there first and then hit the mall. You deal with the employees while they are still "fresh", you have the best product selection, and you can get your shopping done while maintaining your sanity. This year, I'm working at an outdoor shopping center that doesn't have as many of the sorts of stores that do Black Friday deals, so it will be interesting to see what it actually is like, being at a village-style mall as opposed to a mall-mall. A lot of people may go there to escape the crowds of the malls and downtown.

The best time to shop, though, is during the extended hours that the malls and stores have. I know the mall I used to work at, in the days leading up to Christmas, would be open from 8 AM til 11 PM.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

MRD

Where I used to live, BF was fun. All the stores were in one general geographic location and you'd see friends and people would tell you about other good deals. Never really saw anyone be rude or nasty and then it was a big party at Denny's after.

Here? absolute madness. There is nothing I need that badly that I will get up at 4 am anymore. When my daughter was younger, yeah, it saved a lot of money. But she's 18 and the stuff she wants usually isn't on sale on BF anyway.

I will dream sweet dreams of all of you that day as I sleep past 4 am!!!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Never again in this lifetime.
    Count your blessings!

I usually work BF so that my coworkers from other parts of the country can spend the holiday with their families. I'm also bringing Mom to Paris for a weekend in December, so we'll see what we buy there and then finish up after the trip.

not a snowball's chance. . .
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

We have a massive outlet mall down the road from us and they open at midnight on Thanksgiving (BF morn) and are open for only 5 hours till they open again at 10am. If you come in your pajamas you get a huge discount on top of all the sales. Its complete madness but sort of fun and the only BF thing I will do because we go there so much that I know many of the salespeople and it's fun walking around in your PJs and slippers drinking coffee or the hot chocolate (both handed out for free in the stores).

Other than that, I don't see the big deal with BF. I have yet to find anything that's so significantly cheaper that it's worth putting up with the craziness and the complete rudeness by the other shoppers and employees.

If you plan ahead? You can actually get better deals on items during the winter months of Jan - March than you will in November. I buy most of my Christmas presents during those months and just store them away and pick up a couple of last minute items later during the year.

FORT Fogey

[QUOTE=Harmony2000;3755380;].............

Other than that, I don't see the big deal with BF. I have yet to find anything that's so significantly cheaper that it's worth putting up with the craziness and the complete rudeness by the other shoppers and employees.

I believe it is something called "media hype." People are like trained animals if they think they're going to get a good bargain. Just my experience.

+ Reply to Thread