+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

I went to the "lifestyle center" (read: upscale strip mall that fancies itself more than a strip mall) that is about half a mile from my house today at around 3 p.m. I wanted to check out the buy one-get one free sweater sale at the Gap. The place was less crowded than an average Saturday afternoon, probably because the "game" was on t.v. (People here live and die by LSU football.) Then, tempting the fates, I went to Walmart at 8 p.m. I'd foolishly run out of cat food and diet coke and I needed motor oil for the mower. (Where else can you get all three?) Again, it was practically empty. I guess people get up early or something, but that's not my style. The added bonus was that apparently Walmart thought there would be a lot of shoppers in the evenings because there was an abundance of checkers and absolutely no line in about half of them. I was in and out in 30 minutes and did my grocery shopping for the week. The guy who checked me out said it was busy earlier, but thank goodness, not the mad house like hat resulted in that poor temp worker's death in NY.

I agree before black Friday there was Midnight madness sales so they have been around forever. The actions of a few idiots ruin it for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna;3242516;
    GO CONSUMERISM!

So, to recap, a mob actually broke down storefront doors, trampled a person (rather in the prime years of life--not elderly or anything), and kept running in while he was dying at their feet? Yeah, Black Friday is just awesome. I hope they all got some great bargains.

Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down - Yahoo! News
    I was just going to post this, this is ridiculous! They wouldn't leave, even when told they had killed somebody.

We go out of town on Black Friday and head for the Eastern Shore where we go bird watching. At least that wild life is more civilized!

When we got back late last night, had to run into Walmart to pick out the decor for our son's 6th birthday (right before Christmas.. having a swim party at the Y and they do everything, you just tell them what you want) and we thought it would be safe because we weren't buying anything. This lady was shoving her way through the crowds to get the "deals" and she nearly ran our son over and then she hit me with her shopping cart. I thought my husband was going to lose it! He shoved the cart at her and told her off, I had to drag him away and we left.

Nope, not going anywhere near a store again till Feb LOL (unless its early early morning when the nut cases are still in bed). Plus there is always online shopping and our local grocery store does that thing where you can shop online and it's waiting for you when you get there.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

there was a similar situation at a store in grand rapids michigan a few years ago ... no one died but a lot of customers were trambled too. this ended up on camera because the news people were there to report on the black friday crowds. truly horrible stuff

MRD

Oh it's most certainly the fault of the shoppers for acting like savages, but the stores know and expect large crowds, so should be prepared for it as well. I just read that 2000 people were lined up to go in this store. TWO THOUSAND!!!! Come on, that's just ridiculous and seeing that large of a crowd, they should have called in extra security. The store did consult police about security, but when you have that many people, you should know you're going to need to do something.
    And yes, Black Friday has been going on forever, but the popularity of it is increasing and therefore the crowds, so the stores need to be prepared for anything.
    I used to shop on Black Friday. We'd do K-mart, Target, Walmart and we'd see a couple hundred people in line, but no where near thousands!

And the response of the people saying they had been in line for hours and weren't going to leave because someone was killed is disgusting. No one needs a flat screen tv THAT damn bad.

The police are also reviewing video tapes to see if they can identify the shoppers responsible.

With the economy so bad, people don 't have much of a choice on where to shop Ellen. I'd LOVE to say I will NEVER shop at Walmart again. But unfortunately, I don't have that luxury. It is the cheapest store for me to shop in for groceries and other household items we need. And I mean significant savings. I have cut back on going to Walmart, but unfortunately, I can't give it up all together. I know exactly what they've done to small communities by putting small business owners out of business and how some of their business practices with employees aren't exactly fair.
    But it does tell me something that with every other retailer reporting 3rd quarter earnings falling, Walmart is the only one that had an increase. People can't afford to go anywhere else in this economy.

But every year there are reports of crowds getting out of control, so it seems to me that issuing wrist bands and chits for the items before you enter the store is a good idea in helping control stampedes.

I didn't go this year. I had to stop at Target yesterday afternoon, but it wasn't planned and I didn't see large crowds. I got in and got out after getting the items my daughter needed.
    Anyway, I am done with the early morning shopping. It used to be fun. I used to do it with friends and now I have none here that like to do that. I don't need anything that was advertised and I'd prefer to do online shopping.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

That is really sad what happened to that Wal-Mart employee. It is just sick in the head that people get so crazy, stomp people to death... and not care.

My mom & I were talking about it, and I told her that I think wildebeest are more caring when they are in a stampede, at least they try to jump over a fallen animal!

Anyway, I am happy to report that we didn't have any issues shopping yesterday.. it was actually quite fun. Some of the stores were packed, but there were no lines or frenzied people around when we were there. And we did great!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I am one of those crazy people that loves to go shopping on Black Friday , even if I don't have a list (like this year-everyone is dragging their feet to get the list to me!)

I was up and gone from my house at 3 a.m. (after not going to bed at all on Thanksgiving Day eve!!) I was at JC Penny's at 4 a.m.-along with about 100 other people. Lines were decent once I got ready to check out and they moved quickly.

I went to Martin's next (which is a department store throughout the state of AL) and that's where I encountered the most problems. They opened at 5 a.m. and I got there about 4:30 a.m. and got in line with about 75 other people. Martin's had NorthFace jackets marked 33-50% off and you were only allowed to purchase 2. That's what I was going after for my brother to give his daughter. I heard from someone ahead of me in line that the manager had already told them they only had 3 small racks of the jackets and they were all mixed in together-kids, womens, mens. When they opened the doors the crowds rushed to the jackets, scooped up armfuls of the jackets and walked away to go thru them. I never even made it to them! I could hear people bargaining with others over what they had and etc! Then once I had finished my shopping, their internet which their computers go thru (Comcast) was having trouble and I ended up waiting in line for an hour and 20 minutes!! I love to people watch so I didn't really mind (other than my back killing me from standing in place on a hard concrete floor for so long) and people were getting ugly and it wasn't the cashiers fault that their internet was wonky and made the computers run slow or the credit card machines run slow.

I refuse to go to Walmart as my first stop on Black Friday. My mom use to work there and she would talk about how insane people would get-rushing the poor employees as they bring out the pallet of electronic stuff, ripping the plastic off of it before they've had a chance to open it, throwing flat screen TV's across the crowds to someone standing near the back with a shopping cart or some idiot who pushes their shopping cart into the mob to get the TV-meanwhile running over people with the cart. I remember her talking about one time watching this mom rush to get something and leaving her small child in the buggy alone and that child standing up in the buggy and then falling, headfirst, out of it. Mom tried to get to the child before it fell and didn't make it. Meanwhile the mom is in the mob trying to get some piece of electronics. The child ended up having a good sized goose egg on its head but was otherwise ok. Mom was a nervous wreck for the rest of the day and still to this day, tenses up when she sees a small child stand up in a buggy while their parent shops. I do go to Walmart on that day but I just don't make it my first stop! I ended up buying some jeans for $8 for me and some blu-ray movies for my son for $15 so it was a pretty good trip.

My sis-in-laws 18 year old nephew camped out at Best Buy this year. He got there at 9 a.m. THANKSGIVING DAY and he was the 7th person in line!!! He didn't need anything-he was just there to sell his spot! He ended up selling his spot for $150 late Thursday night! Nice way to make some money for sitting outside for a few hours-it wasn't unbearably miserable temperature wise..he said the hardest part was not being able to go to the bathroom!

That story about the gentleman losing his life at Walmart was tragic. I am sad that people reacted the way they did once they found out what had happened. That being said, I can see, to a certain degree, how it happens. I was talking to my son about it and I was telling him that you get somewhere and if you are concentrating on that one particular item that you are there for, they open the doors and you are trying to get to that item and its one of those situations that if you don't get your butt out of the way, the people behind you are going to run over you. That's one of those hazards of getting there early and getting at or near the front of the line. You may think its good and you've got a shot but you've also got to realize that those people that drug their butt up last and are at the back of the line are the ones that will run you over if you don't move fast enough. I've seen people bring their small children or very pregnant women in these lines and I always think NO WAY would I ever do that and risk them.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;3242721;
    My sis-in-laws 18 year old nephew camped out at Best Buy this year. He got there at 9 a.m. THANKSGIVING DAY and he was the 7th person in line!!! He didn't need anything-he was just there to sell his spot! He ended up selling his spot for $150 late Thursday night! Nice way to make some money for sitting outside for a few hours-it wasn't unbearably miserable temperature wise..he said the hardest part was not being able to go to the bathroom!
    ha! i guess there's a price for everything, eh?

one of our local best buys provided porta potties for the people that had been in line since wednesday

It rained here on Thanksgiving and yet people spent thanksgiving camped out in the Bestbuy parking lot. Apparently the big thing was a Toshiba laptop for $379. I had to laugh because that same laptop has been on and off sale at$399 for months. So people who haven't been checking on line spent a holiday to get something only to save $20. I know because I purchased it online for my son last week.

Quote Originally Posted by SR5Rfan;3242651;
    I'm probably in the minority here, but this wasn't the fault of the temp agency or Wal-Mart. The blame should be placed on those customers who were so impatient that they broke the doors down to get into the store. The stores have held these sales on Black Friday for ages, and shouldn't have to spend additional money on security guards - after all, we are supposed to be civilized human beings. Although my heart goes to his family (and those of the people who were shot and killed at Toys R Us) I don't think the store owners should be punished for the actions of the customers.

This being said, I agree that things need to change. The idea of handing out wristbands and only allowing a limited number in the store at a time is a good one; but there will still be those pushing and shoving and behaving badly.
    I'm in the minority with you. I have seen lots of blame Walmart type comments all over the net but not many blame the people who actually broke down the doors and ran this poor man over.

I think the wristband idea is a good one.

+ Reply to Thread