+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

Re: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

This year I didn't get up early because I don't need (or have the money for) any of the big ticket items. But I did want one of the $4 hand mixers that Walmart advertised as a doorbuster. I got there at 8:30, parking lot not full at all (should have been my first warning sign) and of course the only doorbusters left were the mini crockpots (which I've never even used the one I got last year). Oh well, you snooze you lose. But it wasn't worth fighting the crowds for a $4 item. I was disappointed that most of what they did have in stock was just regular every day prices.

Gut, I know what you mean about the crowds pushing and shoving. Last year I was going to get a flat panel tv and because Walmart opened the doors at both ends of the store, by the time I got to the pallet, people were already guarding them with their life and I couldn't even get close. The line for electronics was backed all the up too and you couldn't even move around. I don't know what it looked like this year at that time because it just wasn't worth it.

I agree, all the stores should pass out tickets to people who are in line for the specific stuff. I know Best Buy does it and they will even go down the line and let people know if all the tickets are gone so that people won't have to wait if what they wanted is already promised out.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I still say these store managers KNOW what and what not to mark down on Black Friday shopping day. They mark down items that should have been that price to begin with, and call it a hot sale. For me, it is not worth the hassle of the push and shove crowd.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Doing a lap before I commit to a location

Every year I get up at ungodly hours and get out to the stores. This year I slept in (!!) until about 8:30, ate breakfast and got ready. I went to Toys 'R US... It was insane, but not nearly as insane as usual or as I expected. I got all the toys on my list, plus one special item that was on sale that I couldn't resist (a Tinkerbell fold out couch, for half price). Now all kidlets are done with toys, I'm surrounded with little bits and they all want toys. I just have to get them clothes and whatnot and find that danged Glitter Lava that they didn't have.

Does anyone know if outlet stores have Black Friday sales?? I will go if they do, there is an outlet complex by my office (where I am now, to pay for all I just bought)... I know Burlington has been advertising like crazy all week, but I don't know if the outlet stores have further sales???
    Could does not mean should

I went back just before the sale ended and got a set of sheets - 500 thread count, all cotton for cheap. Also got a couple of sale DVDs and roller wheel luggage for my son. Never again!
    Count your blessings!

We ended up at a furniture store, I wanted to price couches, I need a smaller one. The store is a local where the owners do their own commercials. Not the annoying yelling ones, just funny ones. One of the owners was greeting customers at the door and Sarah thought that was the coolest thing because "he's on tv"

GO CONSUMERISM!

Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down

NEW YORK – A worker was killed in the crush Friday after a throng of shoppers eager for post-Thanksgiving bargains burst through the doors at a suburban Wal-Mart, authorities said.

At least four other people were injured, and the store in Valley Stream on Long Island was closed.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in Bentonville, Ark., called the incident a "tragic situation" and said the employee came from a temporary agency and was doing maintenance work at the store.

"He was bum-rushed by 200 people," co-worker Jimmy Overby, 43, told the Daily News. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too. ... I literally had to fight people off my back."

Nassau County police said the 34-year-old worker was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m. The man's name was not released and the cause of death was not immediately known.

A police statement said shortly after the store's 5 a.m. opening time, shoppers "physically broke down the doors, knocking (the worker) to the ground."

A metal portion of the door was crumpled like an accordion.

Shoppers around the country lined up early outside stores in the annual bargain hunting ritual known as Black Friday. Many stores open early and stay open late, and some of the most dramatic bargains are available in limited quantities.

Among the bargains offered by Wal-Mart for Friday were Samsung 50-inch high definition Plasma TVs for less than $800.

Witnesses told the Daily News that before the store was closed, eager shoppers streamed past emergency crews as they worked furiously to save the worker's life.

"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead," said Halcyon Alexander, 29. "People were still coming through."

A 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital for observation, and she and the unborn baby were both reported to be OK, said Sgt. Anthony Repalone, a Nassau County police spokesman. Four or five other people suffered minor injuries, he said.

Ellen Davis, a spokeswoman at National Retail Federation, said the group knew of no other incident where a retail employee has died working on the day after Thanksgiving.

Wal-Mart is working closely with police, company spokesman Dan Fogleman said.

"The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority," Fogleman said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with them and their families at this difficult time."
    So, to recap, a mob actually broke down storefront doors, trampled a person (rather in the prime years of life--not elderly or anything), and kept running in while he was dying at their feet? Yeah, Black Friday is just awesome. I hope they all got some great bargains.

Wal-Mart worker dies after shoppers knock him down - Yahoo! News

And to add insult to injury, they complained when they were told the store was shutting down.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Kind of makes you wonder about the future of humanity, doesn't it.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

One more reason I don't ever want to be at stores that early on Black Friday.

What a horrible way to die . There's nothing anyone needs so badly for people to behave like animals. If anything can come from this, hopefully it will be a wake-up call for stores to re-evalute how they do things on Black Friday. And those people who barged in like stampeding bulls should be ashamed of themselves, especially the ones who complained after hearing why the store needed to close.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

+ Reply to Thread