+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

MRD

Re: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

I went to Walgreens and got those patriot candles that someone on here was talking about. Buy one, get two free. I got wrapping paper, same deal and fuzzy scarves 3 for $10. So I got one for me, my daughter and a friend.
    So I have wrapping paper and exactly 2 presents.

And I got my most favorite thing in the whole wide world that I can barely wait for every year. A chocolate orange. I am savoring it right now.

Traffic at 9:30 this morning taking my daughter to work was MURDER. Her store is across from the mall and they were parked in the grass, on the medians, everywhere. You could not have PAID me to go there this morning.
    Her bf works at Old Navy and had to be there at 6:30 a.m. He said they were so slow that they let him off early this afternoon.

I tried to get to Whole Foods and the traffic was so awful, I turned around. Whole Foods is on the same road as ALL the big box stores, Kohl's, Sam's Club, and a whole bunch of other shopping. I can wait for Whole Foods.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Another Black Friday over and done with! I got to work at a little after 4 a.m. The parking lot for Kohl's was packed, lines out the butt at both entrances. I share the lot with Kohl's and it was relatively empty in my section. that didn't last too long. We got busy but not as busy as last year. All in all it was a good day. I got home at about 5:30. Long day.

Unk! You survived another Black Friday!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by DJeterFan;2688374;
    I went to a SuperTarget in my neighborhood (St. Paul) at 9 this morning and it was like a weekday! Less busy than on the weekends when I usually go!
    I was all prepared for madness and there was no crowds, no wait in line at all; heck, they only had a fourth of the registers even open!
    I don't know if people go out to the 'burbs to shop on Black Friday or Targets by malls, but it was awesome.
    I went to Sears at our mall around 9am. Picked up the tools that were on the 5am door busters sale walked right up to the check out. Same thing at Macy's home store! No lines or crowds!
    Auntie Anne's Pretzels was WAY MORE BUSY!

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2688230;
    I guess that is kind of like our "boxing day" sales. In Canada Dec. 26th is a holiday and people are lined up around the block for the sales, especially electronics. I just don't like crowds of that size, so I love to kick back the day after since all the work is done, and I almost enjoy that day more that Christmas....reading my new books, eating turkey sandwiches, etc.
    Actually ... we have that too on December 26th, and the focus is on Christmas "stuff", wrapping paper, decorations, collectibles, etc., as well as "gift sets" and the like that are usually half or more off.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2688536;
    I went to Walgreens and got those patriot candles that someone on here was talking about. Buy one, get two free. I got wrapping paper, same deal and fuzzy scarves 3 for $10. So I got one for me, my daughter and a friend.
    So I have wrapping paper and exactly 2 presents.

And I got my most favorite thing in the whole wide world that I can barely wait for every year. A chocolate orange. I am savoring it right now.

Traffic at 9:30 this morning taking my daughter to work was MURDER. Her store is across from the mall and they were parked in the grass, on the medians, everywhere. You could not have PAID me to go there this morning.
    Her bf works at Old Navy and had to be there at 6:30 a.m. He said they were so slow that they let him off early this afternoon.

I tried to get to Whole Foods and the traffic was so awful, I turned around. Whole Foods is on the same road as ALL the big box stores, Kohl's, Sam's Club, and a whole bunch of other shopping. I can wait for Whole Foods.

MRD, that is too funny. I went to Walgreens too !

The Patriot candles at my local store were old looking so I didn't buy them, but I got 2 of those remote control helicopters, and a big travel cosmetic thing for a 14 year old ( friend's daughter).

And I have loved orange flavored chocolate since I was a kid. I bought one of those too. It's in the frig.

Incidentally, the big hit stores here are Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City and also Kohls, Penneys.

From the ads I saw, I thought the "door-busters" this year were mostly disappointing and now they print approximately how many of each they have on hand and no rainchecks of course. So if they have 20 of the item you want and the line is long ... why bother.
    Last edited by echo226; 11-24-2007 at 02:17 AM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

MRD

The Walgreens I went too only opened 6 months ago, so the candles couldn't have been too old. Acutally I got 3 holiday ones. Grandma's kitchen, Vanilla Cinnamon and Home for the Holidays (Evergreen).

I got hair dye too. Oh, big Walgreens day for me.

From what I saw yesterday taking daughter to work, the mall was packed to te gills. Target and Walmart, Kmart, packed to the gills. And this was after 9 a.m.

I'm assuming the electronics stores were also packed as I saw a lot of big screen tvs in the backs of vehicles on the road.

I had the best of intentions to get to the store early to buy two things I wanted at Walmart for their 5 am start. We have 4 24 hr Walmarts just in town, not to mention the one that isn't 24 hr but will be soon, and the ones in the outlaying towns as well. I even convinced my husband to go with me. I had never gone out shopping for black Friday before. My husband went to Staples last year to get some flash drives at a great price, but he's a morning person so he didn't mind. I, however, am not a morning person by any means. I set my alarm, or thought I did, for 3:45 a.m. to hopefully arrive at the store at 4:30am. MrC woke up at 5:19 am. We decided it might be worth a 5 min drive to see if they had the stuff we still wanted. We arrived at the store at 5:40, got a first row parking spot near the garden entrance, walked in, got the stuff we wanted and then were first in line in the checkout too. So happy it all worked out that way

MRD

Well hubby and I were talking about where we live and there are about 12 small towns within easy driving distance of here. The next closest mall is about an hour away. So we figured that the city itself has a lot of people and if you count in the people in the small towns that come here to shop, then that is probably why it was SO crowded in the parking lots and the roads the other day. Where we used to live, we were bookended by big cities, so they drew their own shoppers and only our area fed into the stores, so it wasn't as bad. But here, the city draws in from a huge outlying area, so assuming that the populations of these areas all come into the city to shop, thus clogging up the roads and stores.

I didn't go this year, but I might go next year, I just don't want to deal with the crazy traffic. but it seems like there were ALOT of great deals!

+ Reply to Thread