+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

Re: Shopping the Day after Thanksgiving....

I feel for you, Unk. Try singing my version of Jingle Bells throughout the day. You'll feel better

Running through the mall, as though I've gone insane
    Endless Christmas carols ringing in my brain
    Way too many people jammed in every store
    You gotta get me out of here, I just can't take no more!

I'm insane, I'm insane, I'm a Loony Tune
    Ranting, raving, foaming mouth, howling at the moon
    I'm insane, I'm insane, screaming in the night
    I try to keep my sanity but it's a losing fight.

Sitting in my room, with the padded walls
    Brightly decorated with my crayon scrawls
    The Doctor looked at me, and then he told the Judge
    I think this guy is nuttier than Grandma's Christmas fudge

I'm insane, I'm insane . . .
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2685790;
    My husband says the same thing. I'm really starting to get worried. I think there might be two of you now.
    add me to the list!

MRD

Well after looking at the ads, I ALMOST wish I was going shopping tomorrow.

I think I've found a tree. The store is open today, so may go check after we eat. It's a 7 footer for $25. cheaper than a real one for sure.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2687280;

I think I've found a tree. The store is open today, so may go check after we eat. It's a 7 footer for $25. cheaper than a real one for sure.
    WOW, that's a great deal. 2 years ago I got a 6.5 foot pre-lit tree for $40 and I thought that was good. I do love not having to string lights!!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2687280;
    i try to avoid the ads becuase i never have the money for the stuff anyway. but of course, a friend HAD to tell me about an awesome computer deal that best buy has tomorrow. i felt like saying well that's all fine and dandy, you wanna buy it for me too? hehehehe

MRD

My husband refuses to get the pre-lit tree becuase he says, what happens when a light burns out. He strings the lights anyway, I'm not allowed. Big mishap one year, we won't go into details.

So I went to the store. Old Time Pottery and they had some GREAT deals. I got the tree for $25 and it looks FANTASTIC. It's not pre-lit (see above). I also got Waldo a stocking (Santa's Favorite Dog. Not my choice, but it was the only dog one they had and it was 99 cents, so I couldn't pass it up. I highly doubt Santa thinks Waldo is his favorite. Maybe Waldo thinks that. )

I also got some garland for $1.99.

I wish I had had about $50 to spend because all their decorations were incredibly priced.

After getting home, I realized that we need a new tree top because the 17 year old angel that moves and lights up is very tired. She no longer lights up and she creaks when she moves (I'm starting to sound like her too). I may run by there tomorrow and see if they have some toppers that are incredibly priced as well.

and the tree took us about 5 min. to fully put together and fluff. Much easier than the artifical trees I've had in the past.

Anyway, I couldn't have gotten a real tree for that price and I'll have this one for a few years now.

Actually, pre-lit ones these days have "stay-lit" technology, meaning if a bulb burns out, ONLY that bulb burns out. The rest stay lit!
    Otherwise, no one would buy them for exactly that reason!
    I love it--there are hundreds of lights on it and I don't have to do a thing!

we got a lovely prelit, staylit tree last year - over 800 lights with special 'covers' that make them even brighter. I love it and can't wait to get it up. I always ended up doing the string lights and hated that job - but if I didn't do it - the tree would never get decorated.

I don't want to shop, but we are heading the the Harley Davidson dealer tomorrow - have to drop off the newsletter I do for the club and I want it there for their special sale dalys.
    and I think it is the only place I will be able to see anything to get hubby for christmas. although I don't have to get him much - I bought him the harley and I am good for about 4-5 years of birthdays, xmas, and anniversaries.
    but, nice little trinkets for the bike are available.

we really just don't need or want for anything these days, and I'm so very grateful for that.

MRD

I tried to tell hubby that, but he's got it in his head..... and he puts the lights on, so it's his problem. Seriously, I am not allowed to go near the tree until the lights and garland are on. Then I can hang ornaments.

Me and falling trees, breaking lights, stepping on the strings of lights as they were being put on, have me now banished from lights. I'm banished from even the outside lights. (personally, I think its a throw back to cavemen days and fire, because that's what he acts like with the stupid lights indoors and out. )
    Fine, I have other decorations I'm better at than lights.

I looked at the ads ... and there is NOTHING that I want or need so badly that I will go stand in the cold and wait in line for hours for ... only to find that by "limited quantities ,,, no rain checks" ... they mean they have only 2 of the items available in the store.

I did it last year at Wal-Mart and my biggest beef was the people who had one person wait in line, and then when it got close to door-buster time, 5 or 10 people got out of some van and stood in the place the 1 person was "saving" in front of me. Other people also had one person ... usually some poor whipped husband or oppressed teen-aged son ... arrive early and then joined them in line. So, for every 10 people in front of me, there were at least 40 waiting somewhere out of sight who jumped in at the last minute. Boo !

I am only going close to home this time to stores that open at 7am or so. I need one of those remote controlled helicopters for an adult child ... my SO.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread