+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WalMart Stops Layaway

FORT Fogey
    Where it hurts the person on the low or fixed income is in the notice that they gave for getting rid of the program. There's no doubt that many people use it for Christmas shopping, and that makes it tough. If they'd announced now that they'd get rid of it in November of next year, it'd be a different story. Those same shoppers could take the money they have been giving to the lay away person, and put it away in savings (either in the bank or in a coffee can) for months in advance to finance their shopping. Heck, put it in a savings account, and it'd actually benefit the shopper to be gathering a bit (albeit it a small bit) of interest on the money.

I have used Lay-a-way for years. Not only for christmas but for school clothes and easter presents, bicycles, patio furniture and dressers, ect. With three kids it became invaluable in the clothing area. It can cost $150 to $200 per kid to clothe them for each season. Not to mention that you can have more than one lay-a-way at a time.

When you start a lay-a-way you pay a 2-5 dollar fee up front for the service. You make weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly payments for anywhere from 60 to 90 days depending on the terms that business uses. If you fail to pay off your lay-a-way, the store restock the items and you will recieve a notice that they have done that. You can get your money back by going with your receipt and asking for it. You only lose the 2-5 dollar fee. Christmas lay-a-ways always had to be paid off and picked up by December 20. That way they could restock and sell in the last few days going into christmas.

I think Wal-mart is going to lose buiness in my area because of this. There are alot of low and almost poverty level income families around here. I know that people are really screaming about this. I know that I wouldn't be making the 45 minute trip quite so often if I have to save the money up first to buy large amounts or bigger ticket items. I don't use credit cards anymore.

Walmart is nuts if they think this is going to encourage more people to use their credit cards. Frankly, many of the people that use layaway do not even own credit cards. Either they have bad credit, no credit, or they just don't like credit cards. That's why they are using layaway instead of putting it all on a credit card to begin with. The low-income families with four, five, or even six children are the people that are going to be hit hardest by this. Many of them rely on layaway for back-to-school shopping and Christmas shopping. My family was dirt poor when I was growing up and I don't know what they would have done without layaway. It truly is a sad thing to see a company doing away with something that's such a service to large and/or low-income families.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

FORT Newbie
    I read that KMart still does lay-away, and would like to add that as far as I know, Sears still does it too. It's not totally extinct yet, and I don't know why Wal Mart is taking this step to wipe it out.

The Wal Mart at my house will continue to run lay-away until January, so that this season it can still be used for Christmas.

Their alternative, however, is not a great idea. Not everyone can open a Wal Mart charge, believe it or not. I have no credit (I'm just shy of turning 20, it's hard to start building credit), and as a result a lot of retail stores will not issue me a charge card. I've never made an attempt at opening up lay-away, but I'm sure ANYONE can do it, because the store has nothing to lose. So what are they doing to those of us who can't open up charge cards? "Oh, sorry, looks like your kids don't get Christmas this year. Have a nice day."

I have put toys on layaway at Walmart every Christmas, not due to finances, but because it's an EXCELLENT place to hold the toys until Christmas time! I only have so much space in the garage or closets to hide stuff, and it's been easier to put a lot of the toys on layaway, have a massive wrapping night the day I pick them up, and shove them under the tree. If I just waited until the last minute for purchasing, a lot of things I wanted would be out of stock, also.

It's not going to affect me other than having a nice place to hold the toys, but I do certainly see it as a disservice to the many families that do it due to finances. I think especially in small communties like where I live, where Walmart is the ONLY place to buy toys, it's going to be hard for many people.

My local store is having their last layaway this season, due out by Dec 12th, I think.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2114859;
    Walmart is nuts if they think this is going to encourage more people to use their credit cards. Frankly, many of the people that use layaway do not even own credit cards. Either they have bad credit, no credit, or they just don't like credit cards. That's why they are using layaway instead of putting it all on a credit card to begin with. The low-income families with four, five, or even six children are the people that are going to be hit hardest by this. Many of them rely on layaway for back-to-school shopping and Christmas shopping. My family was dirt poor when I was growing up and I don't know what they would have done without layaway. It truly is a sad thing to see a company doing away with something that's such a service to large and/or low-income families.
    Many very good points, but I'm sure that Walmart doesn't care whether kids get Christmas presents, school clothes, or anything else. Just watch them issue credit cards to everyone who applies. If the folks can't pay the credit card, who cares. Walmart gets their money. And that is ALL that they are thinking of, believe me. OUR convenience isn't their concern.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I think that layaway is highly beneficial for some families to get necessary items that they may not otherwise be able to afford all at once. And it seems like Wal Mart will be alienating and losing customers to other stores that will still offer the service.

However, I do not think that spending money you don't have for Christmas gifts is a good idea. I hate to sound like the holiday Scrooge but this seems to be happening more and more every year, with people going to extremes to buy gifts for everyone during the holidays. It has gone from a spiritual, wonderful holiday to an extremely materialistic one where presents seem to be the only things that matter. Children will love their parents regardless of whether they received one gift or 50. (And I'm not a total grinch--I love giving and receiving Christmas presents. I just won't go into debt doing it. That'll happen later when the impending kid goes off to college! )

LL, one big problem is that in so many small towns, Walmart is IT. Many people actually live out of that store because they have no choice. They may not have transportation to another store. Walmart KNOWS that and plan to capitalize on the fact at every opportunity. And I'm sure that most of the shoppers will think that they can pay the credit card bill. Many will be able to, but others won't.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Thanks for that reminder Muduh. Living in Chicago, we have so many choices (and a great public transporation system).

Apparently, this isn't affecting Walmart. I just watched the Noon Day News today, and they said that Walmart's stock was up 5 points, specifically because of their reduced prescription program. So, bad news for large/poor families, good news for Walmart.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast