+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Lies our parents told us (for our own safety)

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCRUMPOT
    Never run while crossing the street. You could fall down and get run over by a car.
    My Mom told me the same thing. To this day, I still have recurring nightmares of falling down with an oncoming car speeding toward me.

So many of these "facts" (and I use that term loosely) are experienced by a lot of us. Even though they make no sense whatsoever. I wonder if Dr. Spock had a book titled "Stupid things you should tell your children in hopes of traumatizing them for life"?
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Let's see...

"If you don't get away from that TV, you're gonna need glasses!"
    My Grandpa's favorite
    "Don't swim 45 minutes after eating!"
    This one really annoyed me
    "Don't run with scissors - you could poke an eye out!" (has anyone, in the history of scissors, EVER poked their eye out while running with them?)
    My art teacher's favorite

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    "Eat that crust on your bread, it'll make your eyelashes curly."

"I have to get the dirt out of these [finger/toe] nails or you'll be growing weeds in them by morning."

"[Medicine] is supposed to taste bad, the germs don't like the taste of it either. Do you think they'd go away if they liked it?"

"Squeezing your zits will make you break out in other places." (I'm guessing mom was meaning 'it'll spread', but I always had visions of waking up with whiteheads all over my hands! )
    If I'd been a ranch, they would have named me The Bar None~~ Gilda

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Maybe not, John, but close. My great uncle tripped while running with scissors. He missed his eyes but they went into his skull. That he lived is amazing. That he suffered no brain damage was a miracle. NOW how do you feel?
    My mother fell with a coke bottle (glass one) when she was a kid. She apparently spent years training her eye to focus. She had a lazy eye (wandered when she didn't concentrate) until the day she died.

BTW, when I was very young, my parents told me that if I ate boogers that worms would grow in my stomach.
    I have been trying to come up with really good booger threats for my nose escavating 4 yr old grandaughter...this thread is giving me ideas. I have told her that it's "nose dirt" - her response? She likes to..uh...ingest dirt. I have told her that it will make her nose bleed. Her response? I like my nose to bleed...would I get to go to the hospital?
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by KaiCee
    MollyRose, my mother had a similar one...except she didn't identify what would actually happen to me if I sat on the concrete. I assumed the ailment was hemorrhoids (or "piles" as she called them??)...but I never wanted to ask her for details. Wish I would have asked her...my post would be way more interesting if I knew what I was talking about
    My mom told me I would get arthritis, or a "cold in my kidneys"...WTF would that feel like?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

"Leave that snapping turtle alone. If he bites you, he won't let go until it thunders." I guess I could have posted this in the regional/local speech thread too.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Maybe not, John, but close. My great uncle tripped while running with scissors. He missed his eyes but they went into his skull. That he lived is amazing. That he suffered no brain damage was a miracle. NOW how do you feel?
    Did they ever get the scissors out? Or just leave them sticking out of his head as a reminder?

My parents were just cruel:

1. On your 7th birthday you will turn into a boy. (Don't think I wasn't checking for that one all day!)
    2. I always got the "clean your plate" threat.
    3. When I asked what the reflectors on the sides of the roads were for, my dad said they were full of sand, so if your car slid off the icy road you could dig sand out and use it for traction. I've never checked --

Now they refuse to pay for my therapy. Where's the justice in that?
    Last edited by J.D.; 04-27-2004 at 04:52 AM.

If you swallow your bubblegum, a big bubble will come out of your butt if you fart. Actually, I now tell that one to my nieces....

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    Quote Originally Posted by abstractedxXxx
    raindance, i've heard that before too... not from my parents but once when i was in Taiwan. Maybe it's an asian thing.
    it IS an Asian thing... I have a lot of Asian friends, and they all went through that same thing

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by realitycrazmom
    "Eat that crust on your bread, it'll make your eyelashes curly."
    When I read this, I thought you said "beard" and I couldn't figure out why a little girl would be told to eat the crust of her beard...

I can't remember anything my parents ever told me...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456