+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lies our parents told us (for our own safety)

My parents said that if you sit too close to the tv, you'd go blind.
    If you drink coffee your toenails would turn black and rot off.
    And if you swim in the river without a life jacket, huge snapping turtles will suck you under and eat you whole.

I'm 29 and still scared of turtles.

Oh my, my mother told me *so many* lies - it's hard to know where to begin. Two were memorable because I didn't figure out they were lies until I was in my early twenties, driving to work one day.

-- "If you pop that pimple on your lip, the puss will run straight to your brain and kill you.

-- And of course, not a safety issue, but something I've tried on my own kids:
    "If you put salt on a bird's tail you can catch it."

I spent many happy hours in the backyard with a salt shaker ... Sigh.....

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Simbna!

My mother told me the same thing about rabbits!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Oooh!!!

This was my favorite one.

My parents told me after you lost a baby tooth if you could go without sticking your tongue in the space it would grow in gold.

Of course it's impossible to do, but I'm doubtful it really works!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

LOL
    Peace

BF, if I'd heard it when I was a kid, you could be sure I'll not touch the spot where the tooth dropped. That was the kind of kid I was

concerning teeth, my parents told me if I threw the tooth over my shoulder and said something like 'good teeth please', my 'good teeth' wish would come true.

i'm not sure if that was for my safety or just to get me to throw the gross tooth away. I probably would have kept it.
    ďIn Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders donít vant to be general.Ē Sasha Pivovarova

FORT Regular
    Mommy used to say that coughing without covering my mouth will result in my lungs popping out.
    Are YOU a Nature lover after what it did to your face?

Like raindance, my parents did the ol' "If you leave any rice on your plate, you'll have a wife with a bad complexion". Hey, maybe it's an Asian thang.

Along with the standard "If you swallow an orange seed, an orange tree will grow in your tummy" and "If you cross your eyes, your eyes will stay that way", I also had "If you lose a tooth and swallow it, it will grow 100 times its size and come shooting straight out the top of your head".

The one I can never forget usually happened on the trips from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe when I was young.

We would have to pass the Sierra Nevada mountain range on our way into Tahoe. If you've never been to the Sierras, they're beautiful, but barren.

During this portion of the trip, my mother would say (weird voice): "You know, you could kill someone, dump their body in these woods, and nobody would ever find them before the animals got them. [Pause.] So, kids! Anyone else want a Rice Krispie bar?" (I sh*t you not.)

It's really a miracle I'm a relatively well-adjusted adult today.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Originally posted by John
    "Don't run with scissors - you could poke an eye out!" (has anyone, in the history of scissors, EVER poked their eye out while running with them?)
    Maybe not, John, but close. My great uncle tripped while running with scissors. He missed his eyes but they went into his skull. That he lived is amazing. That he suffered no brain damage was a miracle. NOW how do you feel?

BTW, when I was very young, my parents told me that if I ate boogers that worms would grow in my stomach.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Ewwwww!

If you don't drink your milk, your bones will fall apart. I was afraid I'd end up like a puddle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast