+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lies our parents told us (for our own safety)

yeah, it's just gross. That's why I used to swallow down cauliflower even though I hate them.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

My parents told me that Power Rangers are a bad influence on me...
    Peace

raindance, i've heard that before too... not from my parents but once when i was in Taiwan. Maybe it's an asian thing.
    *Megan*
    http://www.stephanieschultz.tk

My dad used to tell my brother that he would grow hair on his chest if he ate his salad. He has no hair on his chest. :

My dad told me I would get curly hair if I ate my salad. There is not one curly hair on my body.

Dad said if I pciked my nose the bugers would bite my finger tips off. Yes, I admit that I picked my nose as a small child and since I am prone to terrible nose bleeds, I actually believed that my bugers bit my finger once when my nose started bleeding. :nono
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    This one is gross but I remembered it last night...

My dad always used to say when you coughed up phlegm you absolutely had to make sure you spit it out (and didn't swallow it again) or it would grow some hideous creature in your stomach! WTH?!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Let's see...

"If you don't get away from that TV, you're gonna need glasses!"

"Don't swim 45 minutes after eating!"

"Don't run with scissors - you could poke an eye out!" (has anyone, in the history of scissors, EVER poked their eye out while running with them?)

My mother told me that if I sat on concrete (like while I was playing Jacks or similar) I would get "rheumatism".

(Hmmm, I did come down with rheumatoid arthritis last year...)

She also told my kids a couple of years ago that you could get cancer from kissing birds! ( I guess they all saw someone doing it on TV)

My parents never told me things like that.
    The only thing my Mom did say that was a lie because of how I understood it was about MLK Jr. (I have it in a thread here somewhere) but she told us, while we were living in England, that Martin Luther King Jr. was killed in our back yard. Now of course she meant our back yard being America close to where we used to live, but I told people at school that he was killed IN our yard
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Don't run with scissors - you could poke an eye out!" (has anyone, in the history of scissors, EVER poked their eye out while running with them?)

Here's one that is common and I never understood why...

"Make sure you wear clean underwear in case of an accident" WTF? I mean, if it's a bad accident, I'm sure my dirty underwear is the least of anyone's concern.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

My dad told me that if I ever stepped on a rusty nail, they'd stick a foot-long needle directly into my stomach to prevent tetanus. So when I actually did step on a nail, do you think I told my parents? Hell, no! I laid in bed all night opening and closing my mouth to ward off lock-jaw.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast