+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving Dilemma

No intellectual input too give you on how too move your animals, but I live on the outskirts of Austin. I have lived near Phoenix and have been too Kansas City. Nothing against either of those Cities, but Austin is where it is at. Austin has something for everyone. Downside...traffic stinks. But hey, we are getting toll roads to help with that!
    Play by the rules, you will miss all the fun!
    Toby Keith, Jacky Don Tucker

I would also recommend a pump (battery operated or with a car compatible adaptor) for the fish bucket. Twenty hours moving will be stressful enough for them without the added discomfort of insufficiently oxygenated water.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I would recommend selling the fish you have and buying new ones once you have "settled" into your new place & have your water quality back up. I recommend this because (& from experience) you not only have a 20 hour drive but
    - you have the time before hand to pack & get ready (this is not easily done in under and hour)
    - once you get to your destination you have to set up the tank. (this isn't easily done in under an hour either)
    All of a sudden your 20 hour move is now 24 and you still have to set the tank up.
    If you have any fish that are show quality they too can be transported by air. Your local fish store should be able to pack your fish for you if you decide to move them (they have air which they pump in the bags & then seal them). Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

We travel with our dog fairly often. I usually look up a few vet clinics and "pet friendly" hotels that are along the way and write down the phone numbers and directions in case of an emergency. You might also consider lining up a vet in Austin (or wherever you decide to move) before you get there and sending a copy of your cat's records ahead. Maybe someone here can suggest a vet for you. Good luck!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I got a lot of good ideas and information, and I really appreciate the websites posted. Everyone here was extremely helpful, which was exactly the response I expected from this diverse community. I'm very touched by the outpouring of support.

Also, I agree with all of you that Austin would be the best choice... for me. Unfortunately, my partner's profession has licensing in Kansas and his practice in Texas would have to be under the radar, preventing him from doing what he does best.

Again, thank you all for the information and for the kind thoughts. I'm still listening, so if anyone else has any other thought to offer, I'm all yours.
    Last edited by corprip; 09-27-2006 at 03:56 AM.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12