+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Walt Disney World Vacation

Walt Disney World Vacation

Hey there! I've booked a family vaca at Disney World for the beginning of February 2007. I was just wondering if anyone wanted to share some stories about their Disney trip and/or suggestions and tips on things to do. There will be ten of us on this trip. My husband (the foodie), my 3 year old daughter (the Disney Princess Fanatic), My mom and dad (the doting grandparents), our best married couple friends and their son (the husband being a music junkie, the wife being a TV/movie fanatic, and the son loves Mickey Mouse), and our friend's parents.

I'm a big time planner, so I have booked a lot of dining reservations in advance, including the Cinderella Breakfast at the Castle, the Princess Storybook Breakfast at Epcot and Cinderella's Gala Feast at the Grand Floridian. I also booked the Chef's Table at Victoria and Albert's (the four star restaurant at the Grand Floridian) for my husband and I.

I would love to hear your thoughts!
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar
    You'll have a ball. There is a Disney Board out there for Disney addicts. Google Disney Board and you should find it. It's VERY active (you can also PM me and I will send you the link).

Where are you staying?

We sent away for the DisneyWorld planning video (it is a dvd and a cd-rom), it is amazingly helpful for planning what things you don't want to miss. It also reviews the park hotels and the campground if you have not decided where to stay.
    We are going in Feb too! Jan 30-Feb 9!!

I am an obsessive vacation planner and I bought The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. It was a Godsend. I suggest you buy it, don't borrow it, because it has so much info to which you will refer over the months.
    The author has broken down all the worlds and gives tips just for people from all demographics and helps you plan what your kids will like, your parents, you, etc... and helps you organize your days to maximize your ability to see everything you want with the least wait-time. He even gives the order in which to see the attractions throughout the day. No kidding - if he says pee at such and such a restroom at two p.m., do it even if no-one has to go!
    For our vacation over halloween week (a great time to go) about five years ago, I read through the book and then wrote down what we HAD to see vs what we wanted to see and then used his recommendations to figure out what order to go through the parks, and it worked like a charm. No standing at the entrance trying to figure out where to go first. Let's face it, it costs too much to waste time doing that! We ended up having a great time, no-one was too tired at the end of the day (except my four-year-old), we were out of the parks by about 2:00 pm each day (without missing anything we wanted to see!) to enjoy the pool, then could go back later if we wanted.

We loved the California Grill - if you get there at the right time, you can watch Cinderella's Castle light up.
    If it is not crowded at the monorail, and if you ask real nice, you might get to ride up front with the driver - that's fun.
    And don't be disappointed if your three year old likes the swimming pool the best - it's a pretty common thing.
    My father in law raved about the trip for years.
    I could go on and on. You will have a great time!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

MRD
    Fulton's Crab at Downtown Disney is fabulous. One of the best meals I've ever eaten. Full lobster, scallops, clams, shrimp dinner etc. DIVINE. Reservations are probably a good idea. It's a paddlewheel boat that you eat on.

Also for the foodie, kids, grandparents and tv people eat at THe 50's Prime Time CAfe at MGM. It is so fun. The restuarant looks like a 50's kitchen. They have 50's tv programs playing and if you don't eat your vegetables, the waitress who you call mom, gets on to you. It's really funny when this happens. The dessert menu is on a viewmaster. GREAT dining experience for everyone. And they offer home favorites like meatloaf, fried chicken, etc.

At Animal Kingdom, don't miss the Lion King show. GREAT! We had front row seats and they practically danced in our laps. Also look for the Vine lady. She is all over the park, but she looks like a plant. REALLY cool.

WHere are you staying?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We went last year to Epcot..it was alright. Not what I was expecting, I guess. My next choice would be to see Magical Kingdom. I've been told that's the theme park that you really get the whole Disney experience.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I highly recommend the book "Birnbaum's Guide to Disney". It is written by a dude who has been going to Disney for many years. He gives tips on where and how to meet the characters, how to plan for a one, three, five or more day visits. My kids had that book marked with sticky notes for several months prior to our first trip to the Mouse House. I think it costs about $15, and is well worth the money.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    We went last year to Epcot..it was alright. Not what I was expecting, I guess. My next choice would be to see Magical Kingdom. I've been told that's the theme park that you really get the whole Disney experience.
    Epcot is disappointing unless you go to the annual Flower show or the wine and cheese tasting festival.

Magic Kingdom was the first park and it is what I mean when I say Disney World. We like MGM too and now Animal Kingdom which I have only been to once and would like to go back.

Epcot was meh, but the ride Mission Space is awesome! Best eating in Disney parks is in Epcot tho. I find that most food in the Magic Kingdom to be overpriced and gross.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Animal Kingdom would be the second park I'd visit next. I love animals..and I think I'd really enjoy that place.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar
    I loved Epcot. I love all the parks.

We really enjoyed Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for dinner one night. Lots of animals to see before and after you eat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast