+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Walt Disney World Vacation

MRD

Re: Walt Disney World Vacation

Well Feb in Florida can be really nice, or can be really miserable. Case in point. I got married the first week of March and it was in the 80's that day. The week before when friends hosted a party for us that was to be on their deck overlooking the gulf of Mexico, it was 28 degrees and had rained for 3 days. After our wedding and on our honeymoon in the Florida Keys, it rained and got cold again. The Orlando area had another hard frost and saw temps in the 20's and 30's. But like they say that time of year in Florida: Don't like the weather? Wait a day.
    Disney can be fairly crowded in Feb. towards the end because of spring break. It's a sure bet it's going to be fairly crowded from the day after Christmas to Easter because of Florida's seasonal tourists. I find the crowds more tolerable during that time of year. Summer it's crowded and hot, winter is crowded, but usually pleasant. And it's a myth that it doesn't get cold in Florida in the winter. I never saw so many cold and miserable spring breakers the year we got married who had only brought shorts to Florida and the highs were in the low 50's for the 3 days we were on our honeymoon.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

*bump*

First of all, thank you to all who've posted tips and links here - I've gleaned a lot of useful info. We're going on a big family WDW trip this fall, and I've been kind of stressing about the expense. This past holiday weekend, everyone who is going on the trip (minus one BIL) was visiting our house - and my stepmom popped in the informational DVD about the park so all the little cousins could watch. My 4yo niece, who is still into that magical everything princess stage, was absolutely star-struck whenever she saw a princess character on the screen... she would gasp and then breathlessly say "Cinderella" or "Snow White". It was so cute I almost cried! So now I'm feeling the magic and am much more psyched about our trip. Anyone back yet from your summer Disney visit with stories to share?
    remember to play

One of the fun things my husband and I did on our Disney Honeymoon was we had a "character breakfast". I don't remember the restaurant but you get to pick which characters you want and each one (or 2) is at the breakfasts at a different time so you basically go to breakfast at the time the characters are scheduled to be there. We had Tigger and Eyore. You can even get your pictures taken with them. We did the park hopper thing so we got to go to all the parks. Well, almost all. The only one we didn't go to (which was strange seeing that our hotel was within walking distance of it) was the water park.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

We're headed that way in 12 days!!!!!!!!!!!!! (as my children keep reminding us ).
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I'm so exicited for you and your families stargazer and coltnlasma you will have such a good time.
    I will never forget the look on my son's face, when the teenage mutant ninja turtles jumped out in front of him and had a fight... He was thrilled.
    It is such a magical place for both children and adults. Have a wonderful time.

I took my girls this year from June 7th to 14th and it was the best vacation. We stayed at the Disney's AllStar Music Resort. It was just us three, and they are 14 and 15 years old so my time was running out because they are going to have jobs next year. We are from Oklahoma, so we left early and went to the Atlantic Ocean at St. Augustine and stayed at Daytona Beach, then to DisneyWorld for a full week, then we hit the Gulf Coast at Gulf Port.

My advice is to purchase the dining plan along with your stay because the prices are unbelievable. We had 2 full meals during the day, which we really didn't need because it was too hot to want to eat. We ended up losing a meal when we checked out because we just didn't want to eat that much. We cashed in our remaining 13 snacks for the return trip, though! Also, be prepared to WALK for miles. The walk from the hotel room to the main building was - no kidding - half a mile, and this is where you catch the bus to whichever park you're going to that day, or eat at the restaurant, or shop in a gift shop. Then waiting in line in the blazing heat forever to catch the bus and the walk to the entrance ... I walked more in that week than I have in the past 2 years!!! We got maps of the parks and marked what we definitely wanted to do. I don't see how anyone could complete each park in 1 day, they are so huge and the wait was kinda long. Fast Passes were great, but they were limited so get them when you can.

We had the best time, and it was a real bonding experience with my girls ... and that time is quickly passing.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

The first time we went to Animal Kingdom was when our son was 3 and he had a great time. I found it very kid friendly and he was fascinated with everything there. We go during the off-season so it's not as crowded or as hot. My advice is to schedule either in May (when we were there we literally watched the hotel prices go from $45 a night out on the strip to over $100 on June 1st. It was crazy!) or go after labor day.

Also, if you are in the military? They (last I heard) are still offering free once a year passes to the parks. We got into all the Disney parks and Sea World (which goes along with the Busch Gardens once a year free pass so you have to choose one or the other, not both) for nothing and just had to pay for the flight.

We are going again in October 2010 and our son will be 7, I think it will be an entirely different experience now that he is older. I don't like Epcot but he's very into science and that is the one park he is most looking forward to. We plan on staying at Animal Kingdom this time around, last time we stayed with my grandparents in St. Cloud. We are wanting to make it more of an experience for him now that he's older.

MRD

I've always said that Disney could make another fortune by having foot massage booths just outside the park gates at the end of the day.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678