+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Walt Disney World Vacation

Re: Walt Disney World Vacation

Revive!

We're going to Disney World at the end of June and I have a few specific questions for you veterans that I don't see answered in the monster guide book I bought.

#1 - Are you allowed to walk around the parks with alcoholic beverages in hand?

#2 - We have dinner reservations at other hotels... do we just get on the bus to that hotel and then will there be another bus to take us back to our hotel? How does the bus system work? Or are there cabs that can take us to and fro?

#3 - Did any of your younger kids (toddlers) enjoy the world showcase at Epcot or should I plan on breezing through that because it's boring for kids?
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

MRD

No alcoholic beverages in the parks. You can purchase them at selected restaurants, those are few and far between.

I think alcohol would make Disney more tolerable, however, they do not feel the same way. In the Magic Kingdom, I think there are NO places where you can buy a drink, unless it is in the more expensive Cinderella's castle restaurant. At Epcot, the world villages do have alcohol in some of the restaurants. Be prepared because where they do serve drinks, they are high dollar ones. My husband had a $12 scotch back in 2003 in Downtown Disney.

The bus system works very well to get you around the hotels and parks, you will need to ask at the hotel, which buses to take as some go someplaces and some others. They usually have a designated bus place outside the hotels. You will go to several hotels on this bus as they do not have express buses.

While I love the World Village at Epcot, I don't think any of Epcot is really designed for toddlers. Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and MGM (which is now called something else) are more toddler friendly. MGM isn't all that toddler friendly, but they used to have a Beauty and the Beast show there.
    With a toddler, I'd stick to MK or AK. Do NOT miss the Lion King show at AK and try to sit in the front row. It is awesome and you will want to search the park for "Devine" (I think is the name). It is a human that is made up to look like a vine and she blends in well, but once you spot her, it's awesome. She is in different places in the park.

Have fun. One bit of advice: buy a water bottle and then use it to refill out of the water fountains in the parks. It will be hot and they get you at $3 a pop for water. For a family of 4 to stay hydrated in the Florida heat all day, you can spend a fortune on water, so I always saved my first expensive bottle of water and kept it all day and refilled it from the water fountains. Take some small snacks for your toddler. They do allow you to take in a few items like that for younger kids.

The food and drink inside the parks is astronomically expensive. But what do you do? It's not like you can go elsewhere.

I do reccomend eating at the 50's diner at MGM. It's a hoot and the waitresses are all called mom and if you don't eat your vegetables, they scold you and then show off your plate to the other diners. The dessert menu is on a Viewmaster. It's a lot of fun and the food isn't half bad. I find most of Disney's food to be nasty, but I hear they've been trying to improve it and offer healthier options.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Burntbrat,

Can't really speak to your first question, but for number 2 and 3:

There are buses everywhere...you can most likely take a bus back and forth with no problem. Is your hotel on Disney property or off?

My daughter was 9 the first time we went to Disney World and she enjoyed some aspects of World Showcase, but not all. There are one or two "countries" that have rides (such as Mexico) that a toddler will probably enjoy, but most of them are simply films, shopping experiences or food related experiences. The Canada pavillion has a great 360 degree film experience, but I remember seeing toddlers having to be taken out by their parents because they were restless and bored. The U.S.A. pavillion was fantastic for older kids, teens and adults because of the animatronics (guess that's the right word!?) involved with the historical figures. But, depending on the attention span of the toddler......

If you don't have any problem with the small ones staying up after 9 p.m., the fireworks/lights show over the World Showcase lake is awesome and they will enjoy that. Just be sure you have a good view for them.....folks will pile all around the railings three and four deep.

Enjoy your trip! Wish I was going again!

P.S. My current av is from Disney's Animal Kingdom park. That's Rafiki and my then fifteen year old daughter Jessie.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

We're headed to Disney World this year. Its the first time my stepkids have been since 2003, when the youngest was less than a year old. My daughter has been multiple times, but she was five the last time she went, so she doesn't remember it that well either. So we're hoping that they are all the right age this year to remember it and enjoy it. The kids will be 11, 9, 7, and 7 when we go.

Burntbrat, my daughter is 7 and she's been there with me on four occasions (but once was when she was in the womb, so that doesn't count ). She was ambivalent about it when she was 9 months old, she loved the coloring stations (the cast members set up craft areas at some of the "countries") but not much else when she was 3 and she hated the whole country thing when she was five except for the one or two rides they have there. She's a high-action kid, though, that has been raised on roller coasters and rides. So without anything to "do", so was fairly bored. If you have laid back youngsters that enjoy the scenery, they might be okay with it.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Sorry to double-post, but I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with MRD about AK being toddler friendly. I've been there with my own toddler and with others and we went fleeing from that park every time! 1). Because of all the trees and such its gets HOT HOT HOT in AK. I don't mean normal Florida hot, either. Like skin boiling from your bones hot. 2). That park is almost as big as all three of the other parks combined. That makes for LOOOOOONG walks that are very tiring for little legs. The stuff the little kids would like the most (like Conservation Station) are all the way at the back of the park, too. Not to mention that the park is laid out so badly that I feel like I'm lost the entire time. 3). Most of the attractions are animals that are off in the bush somewhere. Toddlers don't often spot them and end up frustrated and annoyed. 4). A lot of the food is BBQ or has an ethnic flair, which doesn't always work out so well with toddlers. Options to feed little ones are few and far between.

Disney's Hollywood Studios, on the other hand, is one of the smallest parks there. It has many attractions and shows for toddlers and toddler-friendly food is abundant. There's the Muppet Show 3D experience, the Voyage of the Little Mermaid, Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage, and several other shows the kids will love. The park IS small, but it was one of my daughter's favorites at three because she didn't end up feeling overwhelmed. d
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Its been a looooong time since I have been to Disney. My family last went for the millennium celebration back in good ol' 99.

We are going end of October for Halloween and for my boyfriend's birthday ! I know what we want to do hotel wise and stuff, but I was kind of waiting to see if Disney is going to send any good deals our way again. One thing I can ultimately recommend is getting the Passporter's Guide to Disney. It is the absolute best guide in the world to all things Disney. It is a couple who writes the books and they do one for all Disney properties within the US and the cruise. Their kids have literally grown up going to Disneyworld, so they have lots of tips for every age child. They also have gone to every restaurant, food cart, cafeteria, and snack bar in Disney, so they have tons of advice on what the best deal and what tastes best. I bought the book and its more like a planner that kinda helps in every step of planning. Its a little hardcore Disney but they have the best advice ever!

My boyfriend and I were also going to try and catch a launch over at Cape Canaveral or go to Universal for a day. The shuttle schedules are always tentative so if we can't make it we probably will go over to Universal or maaaaybe SeaWorld. I have to admit, I totally miss SeaWorld here in Ohio.

MRD

Right now, Disney is advertising packages on our tv stations that offer free park meals with the stays at their hotels. See if they are offering specials like that. The meal thing can save a LOT of money as I find the meals (even the "fast food" meals) to be rather on the expensive side.
    But I can say that I had one of the best dining experiences ever in Epcot in France. AND they had wine.

It was 15 years ago, but I remember the world showcase in Epcot as being the best bet for meals. France was good, and Japanese is always fun. I think those were the two we tried.

As for the Fifties diner-- we went to Disney the year my mom was the president of a local organization. As such, she had meetings every week, and before the meetings, she always served us her homemade macaroni and cheese for dinner because it was easy. Well, we sat down at the Fifties diner at Disney World (95% sure it was this), and my mom was scanning the menu for options for my then-four year old sister. One of the first items she suggested for my sister was of course macaroni and cheese, and when my mom asked if she would like it, my sister replied, "Do you have a meeting tonight, Mommy?"

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3483467;
    Right now, Disney is advertising packages on our tv stations that offer free park meals with the stays at their hotels. See if they are offering specials like that. The meal thing can save a LOT of money as I find the meals (even the "fast food" meals) to be rather on the expensive side.
    But I can say that I had one of the best dining experiences ever in Epcot in France. AND they had wine.
    From what I had seen about the free dining plan deal, its offered from late August thru September. That is the height of hurricane season and the heat/humidity is awful (at least for me anyways). I have been told if you go at that time to be prepared for it to rain at least once a day.

I did look into purchasing their dining plan for when we go. It seems like it could be a good deal based on what I was looking at. I know you can only get it though if you stay at the Disney hotels.

MRD

I"m from Florida and I do NOT go to Disney between May and Oct. at ALL. Too hot, too humid, too crowded and it does rain every day and not just in August. But the afternoon rains usually don't last long and can be waited out in some of the shows and attractions and it usually does run people back to the hotels, so it gets a little less crowded.
    I have been in the summer, but Never, ever, ever again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast