+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Walt Disney World Vacation

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    if you go to any of the bars tip the bartender well. they only pay them $2.10 an hour........I was going to try bartending there once and thought....nope, not worth it.

MRD
    I have a friend that goes several times a year and she sent me this info to pass on to you:

TheMouseforLess@yahoogroups.co m The amount of emails can be overwhelming. There is lots of info. just at the site itself. I also like www.allearsnet.com

She has given me some great tips she's gleaned off these sites about where to go, what to see and when, etc.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I agree with Cricketeen. There are a lot of great WDW guide books available and you won't regret investing in one. Personally I would suggest "Walt Disney World with Kids" by Kim Wright Wiley. It's a Fodor's guide and comes out every year. (Go for the 2007 copy, obviously. ) We used the 1999 copy when we went, back in '99.

We had a 4-year old and a 6-year old on our trip. The book suggested we take an autograph book with us, so the kids could get autographs from Mickey Mouse and all the characters. I thought they wouldn't be interested in that at all, but brought an autograph book along just in case. Well lo & behold - when my nephews saw all the other kids lined up for autographs they wanted to line up too. Then at night in the hotel we would write down comments about our day, and now that autograph book is a neat little trip down memory lane.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

My goal is to take my kids there before they get to the age where they dont want to be on vacation with their mom anymore.....of course, to afford this, Id need like 3 more jobs.
    One time I rocked so hard it killed a man

The difficulties in life are intended to make us better, not bitter.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    My goal is to take my kids there before they get to the age where they dont want to be on vacation with their mom anymore.....of course, to afford this, Id need like 3 more jobs.
    No worries Pickles. I went for the first time to Disneyland at 16 with my Mom & Dad and then at 18 to Disney World. It was still fun both times. In fact last year the 3 of us went back to Disneyland 16 years later and had a blast.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

MRD
    Pickles,

Check out that site the magic for less that I posted above. I know quite a few people that have used it and been able to go when they thought they couldn't afford it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Thank you to everyone for their awesome advice! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to respond to y'all. I have been checking out the Disney forums, and Allearsnet.com is an awesome site. I have to check out the other one that MyRosieDog suggested. I have to admit, I have done a lot of the planning already, but I wanted to hear from all of my FORT friends on their takes too. (It helps me get even more excited!)

We decided to do the Dining Plan, and I have made my restaurant reservations. I think it is a good deal, so long as you plan properly and make your reservations in advance. It's $39.00 per adult, per day, and you get 1 table service meal, one counter service meal and one snack for each day you book it. The table service meal includes 1 appetizer, 1 entree, 1 non-alcoholic drink and 1 desert. The counter service meal includes 1 entree, 1 non-alcoholic drink and 1 desert. All tax and 15% gratuity is included. The snack is pretty much anything $4 and under.

We are going to 50's Prime Time Cafe, as suggested. We are doing a bunch of Character Meals, including Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary Resort, "Goofy's Liberate Your Appetite Dinner" at the Liberty Tree Tavern in the Magic Kingdom, Playhouse Disney's Play N' Dine at Hollywood & Vine in MGM (JoJo and Goliath will be there), and for my Disney Princess Fanatic, Cinderella's Royal Breakfast at the Castle, the Princess Storybook Breakfast at the Norway Pavilion in Epcot, and Cinderella's Gala Feast at the Grand Floridian Resort.

As for Epcot, I booked dinner at LeCellier, the steakhouse in the Canada Pavilion (which I heard one of the best restaurants there) and the Rose and Crown Pub at the UK Pavilion, right before the Illuminations Fireworks display at the World Showcase Lagoon. I heard that the patio at the Rose & Crown is the best place to view the show. I personally love Epcot, and I heard that they have made it much more kid friendly, with more Disney Character meet n' greets, and more kid's attractions. I think the slower pace of that park is a good change of pace from the high energy Magic Kingdom. My husband, the foodie, will love all of the international food there.

Corine - we are going from Feb 1 - Feb 8. I wish we could do ten days like you are. Did you realize that Superbowl Sunday is Feb. 4? Do you have any football fans in your group? My dad and one of my friends is, but my husband and I aren't into football. I imagine that day the parks will be pretty empty. I've actually planned for us to go to Universal Studios on that Sunday. I think my mom and dad are going to stay at the resort and watch my daughter, so my husband and I can do both parks at Universal (which doesn't have all that much for little kids). If anyone in your group is a big football fan, I suggest they go to the All Star Cafe at the Disney Wide World of Sports Complex. I called them and found out that they don't take reservations for Superbowl Sunday, it's first come first serve, but I imagine they have several big screen TV's showing the game.

Also, Corine - Have you heard about the Pirate and Princess Party at the Magic Kingdom. It's a Special Event they are doing that you have to buy special tickets for. The park closes early and is only open to about 5000 guests (on a slow day the park regularly gets over 20,000). Here is a link with info on it if you haven't heard about it yet.

http://allearsnet.com/tp/mk/pirateprincess.htm

We will definitely be doing the autograph book with my daughter. I know she probably won't remember much (if any) of this trip, but what is so cool about taking her at this age is that when she sees Mickey Mouse, she really thinks that is Mickey Mouse!! That goes for all of the characters, and she knows them all, the Mickey Mouse gang, the princesses, the Winnie the Pooh characters and Nemo, Toy Story and all the other Pixar ones. One piece of advice I heard online is that when your child interacts with the characters, just continue snapping pictures the entire time, because the candid shots will always come out better than the one they pose for.

OMG I just can't wait! Thanks for all of your advice. Please just keep it coming, whether it be stories about your trip, or what NOT to do, I would love to hear it!
    Stay Gold, JFlo

"Craft Idea: Want to prevent a rerun of the Gulf of Tonkin off the coast of Iran? Just send Britney to the Strait of Hormuz and drop her on the Frigate USS Ingraham." Paparazzi As Unexploited Guardians of Democracy by Cintra Wilson [cintrawilson.com]

Pictures, pictures pictures - take a good digital camera! When we came home from our trip, my youngest and I made a scrapbook. He must have looked at the thing daily for a solid year. Each and every time he would close his eyes, and say "those were the days of my life"

Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    I cannot believe I just typed out one of my famous XXL-posts all about my WDW tips/stories/etc. Only to lose it to the evil trackpad on my laptop!!! Aargh!

Here is the condensed version, The VicaNotes:

Must Dine: Kona Cafe in the Polynesian Hotel (do a brunch or late night snack if you've got dinner booked solid). My favorite place to eat in all of Orlando, Florida. I crave it when I'm home.

Most Overrated Attraction: The Luau and Dinner at the Polynesian. I am famous for requesting (and getting!) a full refund, plus other freebies, after being so dissatisfied.

Must Buy: Chinese slippers at the "China" village at Epcot, but that may just be me. Fudge at the little Shoppe on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom.

Best Attractions in the Magic Kingdom: Mickey's Philharmonic (3-D Symphony), The Little Mermaid Show, The Pirates of the Carribean (has been renovated in conjunction with the new movie, supposed to be awesome!).... You must ride Dumbo, I don't care how old you are and neither do the guides.... Space Mountain is awesome, and it really depends on the kid whether they love it or not. Hit or miss with most children. Most want to go on again immediately, others would rather be drawn and quartered.

Tricks:
    Spend entire days in Magic Kingdom, MGM and Universal, but save Epcot for a half-day or most-of-a-day. The fireworks at Epcot are awesome, get your space on the water early. On a four full-day trip I'd suggest Day 1 Magic Kingdom, Day 2 Universal, Day 3 MGM, Day 4 Return to Magic Kingdom to do anything you haven't done early in the day, then hit Epcot in the afternoon...
    Pleasure Island is a night-time thing. I've taken the kids there in the evening for an hour or 2 to eat at Hard Rock and to walk around a bit on the first night after you get settled into your room, just a quick thing so the "day" isn't wasted. If you're going just adults it is fun there, and the best thing is you get a shuttle directly there to and from hotels, so you can get completely stupid and have a safe, quick ride home...
    SeaWorld is only worth it during active times, don't bother in the "off" times, half the attractions will be shut down.

To Bring: Digital Camera (unless you're like me and must have film), alternate weather shoes/socks for the kids and yourself, and a pedometer, you'll be amazed at how many "steps" and miles you cover! It's kind of neat.

You guys have made great suggestions on this thread, coupled with the Birnbaum's pocket guide, some printouts from allears.net, and your prior reservations, you should have an awesome trip.

Have a great time, all, I'm not going again until May, I think.
    Last edited by VeronicaBelle27; 09-28-2006 at 04:45 PM.
    Could does not mean should

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I'm going in January and there's a lot of good advice.

I swear by http://www.tourguidemike.com - it was worth the $20

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast