+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got a true story no one believes?

Got a true story no one believes?

I was at a geocaching event and we were all standing around when someone said something about catching a fish from a moving car. Well my dad actually did that! So I tell this "stranger" about it and half way through I feel like she doesn't believe me. Now I'm kind of embaressed because she probably thinks I'm some kind of BS'er. So I tell my boss about it and he of course believes the story is true but also sees how someone else might think I was making it up. So now I realise I can only tell my "crazy" stories to people who know me and know I don't just make stuff up. But I'm still worried about my geocaching reputation.
    Anyways here's the story.

This was about 27 years ago. I was 10 and our family made a huge trip to the fish farm. Its one of those places you pay a fee and you're gauranteed to catch a fish. You can barely get your bait in the water before you catch a fish. So we were leaving the fish farm and there was a long straight road that ran parellel to the river that fed the fish farm. My dad was riding in the back seat of the car in front of us. I was riding in the back of a truck, standing up looking over the cab. (Shocking I know but it was the 70's and parents were crazy and let kids do things like that. Its amazeing we survived.) We were running at least 45mph when all of a sudden I see the fishing pole come out of the back window. My uncle who was riding in the back with me said, "What is he doing? Surely he won't try..." About that time my dad casts out and we see the line go FLYING. I guess because we were going so fast the wind caught it and it just flew. Across the road and a little strip of land and then cleared an 8ft fence and across another little strip of land and landed in the river!! My uncle yells, "That crazy SOB!!" We figured the line would break and we'd keep going but instead the car starts to pull over. So we pull over and my dad has jumped out of the car and is winding in his line. Theres a lot of it so we're walking and my uncles are telling him to cut the line but he keeps winding it in. Finally he gets to the fence and he's reeled in most of the slack. My uncles are telling him he's snagged and just cut the line but he keeps reeling. I'm not sure at what point they realised he actually had a fish but I know my uncles went crazy. They were so excited. He actually was able to get that fish out of the water, reel it in over about 15ft of land and over an 8ft chainlink fence. It was awesome!

So anyone else have a true story no one else believes?

Coincidentally, I also have a fish related tale. One day when I was about 12, I was walking home from a friend's house a good ten kilometres inland, when a rain of fish fell beside me. It was a clear sky, there was no plane and it was a street of standard two-storey houses. These little 2" silver fish just dumped down in the middle of the street in an area of about 10' x 10', give or take. Oddly, no one believes me .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Newbie
    when i was little i won a million dollars on a scratch ticket and my dad ripped it up and no one ever believes it. but i dont wanna talk about it, too sad :'(

MRD
    My wedding dress was paid for by stolen (embezzled money). Everyone looks at me like I have 2 heads when I say this. I myself did not steal the money and it was several months before we knew it was stolen.

I worked in a title insurance office and we did a LOT of business for this one real estate company. Well they had someone that was in and out of our office all the time and was always bragging about how she was winning the lottery, playing cash 3 and Play 4. (Our lottery was less than a year old).

So several of us gave her money to play for us. And low and behold she WON! I ended up getting $580 the first time and $230 the second time.

I used the money to buy my dress and shoes.

Later we found out (along with everyone else including the chief of police who was her husband), that she had embezzled about $300,000 from her boss and was using the lucky lottery story to explain why she had all this money.

We offered to pay her boss back when we found out, but he told us that we had done nothing wrong and it was her that owed him the money. We gave her money to play the lottery for us and trusted her.

But when I tell this story, because it involves the chief of police not knowing what his wife was doing and the stolen money, no one believes me. But it is true.

On the fish stories, my husband went to play golf one day with the minister nad 2 other guys from our church. When they got home, my husband had an 8 pound bass. The thing was huge. He wouldn't tell me how he got it and the preacher was laughing his butt off. My husband said he caught it on the golf course with his bare hands. Yeah right. Well come to find out there was an algae bloom in the pond and it was killing all the fish and this one had come to the surface trying to get air and my husband scooped him up and brought him home. We now call it Golfishing. No one believes him either and I probably wouldn't if the preacher hadn't been there and backed him up.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

A simple story about myself, absolutely true, that nobody believes.

Even though I am long past the legal drinking age, I've never had beer. Ever. It's not a moral stand or anything, I just don't drink.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    A simple story about myself, absolutely true, that nobody believes.

Even though I am long past the legal drinking age, I've never had beer. Ever. It's not a moral stand or anything, I just don't drink.
    Same here! The smell always was revolting to me and I never had a desire to drink beer so I never did.

MRD
    that's ok, in my younger days, I drank enough for both of you!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    that's ok, in my younger days, I drank enough for both of you!
    Hee hee! I knew we could count on you!

giz
    I have tasted beer, on the end of my tongue sort of thing, but never I swear I didn't swallow! It's disgusting. I will have the occasional glass of wine.

I have no fish story,but I do have an amazing series of coincidences story.

When we were all in our early 20's a number of my group of friends moved to England (not all at the same time). Some of my friends barely knew each other. One of us, the only guy to live there, stars in this tale. I was walking down the Haymarket (busy street in central London, city of about 6 million), when I saw a guy staring at me. "why is that guy staring at me?" I think. "Because that guy is Andrew!". Next up, my friend T. sees Andrew on the other side of tube station platform. Next, our friend, M., goes to see a band at the University she is attending in northern England and thinks "gee, that drummer looks just like Andrew". And of course it is. And finally, for the piece de la resistance, our friend A. gets home from work one evening to find Andrew sitting on her front steps. "Andrew" she says "how did you know I lived here?" "What do you mean?" says Andrew, "I'm here to have dinner with X", who it turns out, is A.'s room-mate and someone Andrew met in a pub.

If just one of us had run into him in a country of 50 million, that would be wierd enough, but all of us. I do not have a single friend from Canada who did not run into Andrew (during this time period of 3 years) in England. What does that mean?

It means that coincidences take place in London, England, the same as they do in London, Ontario, or London, Ohio, or anywhere else.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast